Author Topic: Need Experienced Shotshell Reloaders Advice  (Read 4658 times)

Offline Taylor3006

• Survivalist Mentor
Need Experienced Shotshell Reloaders Advice
« on: April 26, 2013, 06:55:28 PM »
I am an experienced metallic cartridge reloader but have little real experience with shotgun rounds. I have all the equipment, supplies, and buckets of spent hulls. I have a small library of shotshell reloading books but the absence of a definitive hull identification guide has me stymied. What I would like to do is reload the hulls just once and store the ammo. I have tons of red Federal and black Remington hulls, the cheapo ones sold at Walmart and from what I have read online is most Reloaders toss it because the hulls don't last. I find it hard to believe that they cannot be reloaded just one more time. Does anyone have any experience reloading these hulls? Anyone see a problem with my plan? I hate to toss buckets of hulls, yes I know I can buy premium hulls fairly cheaply, but I hate the idea of this kind of waste. The reloading boards aren't very helpful, they almost always advise on tossing because the hulls the fragility of the plastic and paper base wad. They also aren't very helpful if you mentioned prepping. Figured would turn to other preppers first before turning to the crazies on YouTube.

Offline Steve Cover

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Mr. C ..... Das Ugly Mutt
Re: Need Experienced Shotshell Reloaders Advice
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2013, 11:41:23 PM »
Both the RCBS and Lyman shotloading handbooks have a case identification chapter.
These are full size color drawings.
The most critical difference in shotgun hulls is the base wad height.
There are other minor variations such a case wall thickness too, so a load listed for a different hull with the same base wad height might not be safe.
DO NOT just select a loads and start loading if you can't identify the hull.

Steve Cover
NRA Certified Shotgun Reloading Instructor.

Offline Taylor3006

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2013, 01:07:55 AM »
I have both and yes the full sized diagrams are nice, but I rarely have the hull pictured. I think the list only the most commonly reloaded hulls or I am in possession of rare hulls... I have owned my shotshell reloading equipment for about 20 years, haven't made one round of ammo with it because of the sheer volumes of information and stories of disaster one gets when researching shotshell reloading. Metallic is just so much easier in comparison, as if it is real science and shotshell reloading is more alchemy. I appreciate what yer saying (about hull ID) and understand fully, it's why I have not delved into this before. I really think there is an opportunity for someone to publish a really good book on hulls.

Offline Ronin4hire

• Senior Survivalist
  • Chance favours the prepared mind.
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2013, 06:25:43 AM »
As only a casual shotshell reloader, Ive found that the mountains of used hulls around make reloading a one-time proposition-
Identify & sort the new hulls, and simply discard my reloads (no matter how "nice" they might have been.
Sadly, I had done that with pistol casing in the past since Id always find newer/better sitting in the scrap heap.
With the popularity of import berdan cases and general scarcity of rounds, I wish I had kept the thousands I had wasted over the years!

Offline Steve Cover

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2013, 12:01:27 PM »
I've been reloading shotshells since 1962.

After our last move this January, I discovered several hundred one fired hulls in a box that had been in storage for over 20 years.

Lots of them (Remington RXP,  etc.) I couldn't find load data in my new manuals.  Luckily, I still had a couple of my old manuals.

I was able to identify loads for about half of them but had to discard the rest.

Being thrifty is laudable, but how much does a new gun cost if you screw up a load?

Only load cases that you can identify.

Discard the rest.... Do not leave them around.
The reloading gremlins will find a way to get a few into your reloading known case lots.

(These gremlins are also responsible for filtering in a few .380 brass into your 9mm case lots... Sneaky little pests)

Steve

Offline armymars

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2013, 06:44:37 PM »
  Reloading bargain shotshell hulls from from the big box stores is OK one time. The reason must re-loaders won't do it more then once is the base wad. In the cheaper shot shells the base was is made of fiber. After the first reload it can get sucked into the barrel. Fire a shell after that and you can guess what happens. Is that a bulge I see in your barrel? It does not happen often, but it does happen. I've seen the results. Shot gunners shoot so many shells that it up's the odds. If the basewad is one peace with the hull then load it till the fingers crack. A two peace shell should be loaded only once.  Some two part hulls have a plastic base wad, but it will be clear or milky instead of the same colour as the hull. Make sure, cut it in half long ways.

Offline Steve Cover

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2013, 10:37:33 AM »
  Reloading bargain shotshell hulls from from the big box stores is OK one time. The reason must re-loaders won't do it more then once is the base wad. In the cheaper shot shells the base was is made of fiber. After the first reload it can get sucked into the barrel. Fire a shell after that and you can guess what happens. Is that a bulge I see in your barrel? It does not happen often, but it does happen. I've seen the results. Shot gunners shoot so many shells that it up's the odds. If the basewad is one peace with the hull then load it till the fingers crack. A two peace shell should be loaded only once.  Some two part hulls have a plastic base wad, but it will be clear or milky instead of the same colour as the hull. Make sure, cut it in half long ways.
Excellent advice!!

Steve

Offline BlueSmoke

• Prepper
    • Pardner Protector
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2013, 06:25:23 PM »
Hope this helps:

It all has to do with the "Brand" and base wad design.

The cheap Federals have a cardboard base wad.  BTW nothing wrong with that.  Use the correct data.

Most Remington's including the "value" gun club have a STS type base wad.

The Winchesters have a base wad that is inserted into the hull.  IMO a pain in the a** to get the wad seated decently when reloading.

The base wad controls the capacity of the hull.

The base wad has nothing to do with the length of the brass/aluminum head on the shell.

Sort your shells first by brand and then by base wad type.

Use the correct data.......

Load away......The integrity of the crimp is usually what fails first when loading multiple times.  You need a good crimp to get a clean cyclical powder burn.

If the recipe doesn't "fit" and you can't get a good crimp stop what your doing and investigate. 

The reloading shot shell experts as far as I'm concerned live at www.ballisticproducts.com

I have not had good success with reloading Brazilian (RIO) and Spanish hulls.  They tend to use a slightly larger primer (616) in their factory shells that disallows a 209 primer to fit well.

Regards,

BlueSmoke