Author Topic: Defense where none is allowed  (Read 9627 times)

Offline livinitup0

• Survivalist Mentor
  • confrontational by design
Re: Defense where none is allowed
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2013, 11:55:43 AM »
who says i'm going to stick around after the assault?  is the bad guy going to call the cops?  maybe, maybe not.

+1

Hauling arse out of there would be my top priority.... not waiting around for johnny law and making sure everything's cool. lol if they need me they'll find me.

Offline CopperKnight

• Survivor
  • A protective shell is sometimes open space.
    • Survival WWYD
« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2013, 12:17:51 PM »
True... but I think proper training also involves training in mitigating legal ramifications as much as possible... much like in CCW training. I dont think theres anything that will "gaurantee" that there will be no repercussions....but I definitely think there are things we can do and I definitely do not agree that you have to make choice between lawlessness or being defenseless.

We are in complete agreement there.  Learn what is and isn't legal.  Learn how to defend yourself in various situation and with a variety of "tools".  Learn what to and what not to say after an incident. 

As for the future of "lawless vs defenseless", 'they' are really working towards making that a one or the other decision.

Offline Jack Crabb

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2013, 01:41:15 PM »
who says i'm going to stick around after the assault?  is the bad guy going to call the cops?  maybe, maybe not.

Hauling arse out of there would be my top priority.... not waiting around for johnny law and making sure everything's cool. lol if they need me they'll find me.

I believe the conventional protocol for self-defense situations is to always be the complaining witness. Depart to safety if you must, but call the police before the bad guy.

The police will find you when they need you because the BG will report he was innocently walking down the alley and you sprayed him in the face because he was [insert physical attribute different from yours that is a hate crime].

Offline joeandmich

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2013, 07:57:02 AM »
I agree, as stated in my previous post: "Choose a thing or two or three of any of to do, then learn how to use your chosen workarounds effectively." 

I disagree with this statement only in the respect that you don't get to choose if your life is ruined or not.  That decision is made by the prosecutor, the dirtbag, and/or the jury.  There may be fact twisting, outright lies, insinuations, and other things during the process that will affect the outcome. 

Keeping up your situational awareness to avoid any problems you can is your best bet.  Having sound judgement and knowing when to stop actively defending yourself (fighting) and flee as well as knowing how to defend yourself come after that.

I agree with you. Situation awareness is a primary focus at our Krav Maga School in Miami. Another is awareness of what situation your would be assailant is putting you into. If he has a weapon then you have to realize that the assailant is willing to hurt you badly and even kill you to get what he wants. If this is your situation then you have to react accordingly. Luckily in Florida you can defend yourself legally with deadly force if faced with an assailant with a weapon.

Now if the assailant comes only without a weapon, then you resort to Krav Maga self defense then call the police.

Offline blademan

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Ask the next question
« Reply #34 on: January 25, 2013, 10:13:57 AM »
If you are going to carry a defensive spray, carry a spray made for defense. I'm not saying wasp spray isn't effective. I'm sure it is and I try to avoid finding out. I'm pretty darn successful at that.
  I'm saying that it will open you up to litigation civil and criminal that pepper spray won't or will do less so. If its in your hand when the bad guy makes his move, spray spray spray.
  Using it as a go to or primary is about as semsible as using sprauy paint or starter fluid or gasoline. Sure it will work. But after that there may be big problems.
   Ammonia in a water gun or a spray bottle is the same.
  Someone mentioned the 5 or 6" baton for a keychain with pepper spray in it. That's fantastic. Its called the ASP Key Defender. Its awesome. Look into it. You don't need a fire hydrant of pepper spray to stop a situation. In my opinion, if a little doesn't work, a lot probably work much better.
  I don't walk with a limp and carry a cane. I walk like a normal person and carry a cane. Limps make you look weak and looking weak makes you look like a traget.  You can even carry the cane under and arm (or carry and umbrella) and if asked by someone you can't tell to piss off what its for, tell them you have a trick knee that act up randomly so you carry a cane in case you need it.  This works pretty well. A large walking stick works prettyt well too depending on where you are going. It offers lots of support for walking through challenging areas.
   Those little bulbs of REAL LEMON that look like lemons or limes are a good way to flavor your tea or other beverage, by the way. I accidentally got some in my EYE once, it really didn't make me feel like fighting with anyone. Sometimes I carry hot sauce in a squeeze bottle because I like a specific brand to put on my tacos at taco bell. I try not to get this in my EYE. It stings. A lot. I hate it when the cap pops open and a little leaks out.

I hope you have found my ideas for flavoring beverages and food condiments to be helpful. I also hope that you remeber to carry your walking aid with you at all times. I know from experience that knees and feet can act up at the most unexpected times and that you can suddenly find yourself on very challenging terrain at a moments notice. Take care in the urban jungle and enjoy the tacos.