Author Topic: Do you have a hunting dog?  (Read 16739 times)

MikeMartin

Do you have a hunting dog?
« on: September 17, 2008, 10:26:24 PM »
How many have a hunting dog and which breed did you choose?   I have been thinking about adding a new member to the family and having a hunting buddy that is always ready to go along?  Looking for inputs, suggestions and just general opinions on good hunting dogs.  Hell they are all good dogs, but they ain't all good hunting dogs.  :D

Offline minrlwtr

• Survivor
Re: Do you have a hunting dog?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2008, 01:36:16 PM »
Depends what you are hunting and does the dog do other duty, your range of the country ( long hair gets briars etc) your tolerance to antcy dogs (beagles)that always want to hunt versus a JD clampent "duke" that will go when he needs too but prefers to snooze etc. a good mutt is the best, it depends on your hunting style, sight hound,retriver, chaser ,pointer etc, what works for you might not work for me. one of the best i ever had was a bluetick hound crossed with a lab and lord knows what else and will watch you to figure out what it is you expect him to do because he was mostley a house dog before we became a team and would leave a squireel alone in the backyard etc unless we "got hungry" and were out huntng looking up in the trees

Offline ModernSurvival

• Just a Desperado Under The Eaves
  • Administrator
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Liberty is precious, fight to keep it!
    • The Survival Podcast
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2008, 01:46:50 PM »
Indeed you have to look at what you want out of the dog.  If you want an all around dog for everything form ducks to pheasants and quail and even dove it is hard to beat the Brittney.  They started as a poachers dog in France and had to be a do it all dog.

My next dog is going to be a Feist (excellent squirrel dogs).  Here is what they look like,

Since I first learned about them I have wanted one.  Great small dogs and squirrel is the most common small game in Arkansas where I will head in a year or two.  My wife wants a Sheppard but they are useless for hunting so she will get her Rin Tin Tin and I get my squirrel dog when we move.

I have a lab mix now, he would be a decent dove dog if we got out often but not good for much else and we have a Husky who is just  an old pet now.  Like you said they are all good dogs but not all good hunting dogs.  I really can't wait to get a Feist and train him up.  My "pets" are both 11 now and even though they don't hunt the fact that they don't have many years left makes me sad, Good Dogs indeed!

Offline minrlwtr

• Survivor
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2008, 02:01:51 PM »
I sort of want a "American Mastiff" as my next trail buddy. They are a cross between an English Mastiff and a anatolian shepherd so they dont slobber on you and only eat half the chow, I used to have a mastiff boxer mix ( NO bull mastiffs allowed" and he was a hunting fool that could hold his own with the occasional wild dogs etc but loved kids with all the patience in the world ,tolerated cats after a bit of training although kept his sense of humor about getting even with them when they took advantage of his controlled good nature, and would ask you with pleading eyes that this cat that was pearched on the back of the recliner flicking his tail in front of him just needed a little nibble on the tail to spook him into a uprousaly good time of seeing if a cat could actualy touch the ceiling and grin his toothy number 14 size nose grin afterwards if you gave him permission for the nudge but not to chase the prissy little menace.

knight templar

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2008, 05:32:53 AM »
I've got an English Springer, great nose, loves the water, and is great with the family. We keep him clipped high and tight so there is less hair in the house and it's easier to pick the burrs out.

Offline ModernSurvival

• Administrator
  • Survival Demonstrator
    • The Survival Podcast
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2008, 07:27:56 AM »
Springers are great bird dogs!  I have always found them a bit less patient then Brittneys but I guess that is the point isn't it?  One is more a flusher and one more a pointer.  I guess I like the beauty of a dog holding a bird on point.  This Fiest thing will take some adjusting I guess,  ;D but hell I am just taken with those little guys and we don't have Grouse and Pheasant in Ark anyway. 

SwampMonster

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2008, 09:33:51 PM »
I have access to quite a few, maninly 12 GSPs, 6 Enghish Pointers, 2 Britts, 1 Red Setter, 3 Boykins and, a few labs.

Swamp

Offline ModernSurvival

• Administrator
  • Survival Demonstrator
    • The Survival Podcast
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2008, 09:04:40 AM »
I have access to quite a few, maninly 12 GSPs, 6 Enghish Pointers, 2 Britts, 1 Red Setter, 3 Boykins and, a few labs.

Swamp

You are a lucky man and uniquely qualified then to answer this question.  If you had to hit the hills and feed yourself with hunting and gathering, which of those dogs would you take if you could only take one?   ;)  Sorry to put you on the spot but you are indeed very uniquely qualified to answer that.

SwampMonster

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2008, 09:20:48 AM »
Working a a quail guide has is good points ;D

I would have to say the GSP. They are great all around dogs, nice temprement, can retreive, really dont eat that much, point and chill.  Not much on the protection factor other than barking.

Swamp

Offline ClarkB

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2008, 10:43:59 PM »
Sheesh minrlwtr - "NO bullmastiffs" - why?  They aren't a hunting dog, but they are a superior protection dog and an awsome companion dog.  Very stable and intelligent.  I know from experience as an owner.

I am currently shopping for my second Bullmastiff, after my first guy, Grendel, died nearly 14 years ago.  An absolutely awesome breed, but it is definitely for a 'dog person' who is a pack leader for a strong dog.  Grendel understood a vocabulary of over one hundred words, and followed a variety of hand signals.   A 140 lb Bullmastiff standing at your side alertly wagging its tail has a remarkable calming effect on even the most bad-ass thug. 

Now that I think about it, the Bullmastiff is the only breed ever created specifically to hunt men (read about its history if you don't know).  So I guess that I did, and will again, have a "hunting dog". ;D

Offline RipTombstone

• Survivalist Mentor
    • Plum Creek Leather Works
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2008, 10:01:10 PM »
I have a 115 lb Chocolate Lab. He is a great, loyal dog. He has a pretty good nose, knows hand signals, and has a bark that will keep most people away. Loud and deep voice.
I have taken him dove and pheasant hunting, and he has done very well.

My favorite, if I could, would be a German shorthair, or an Australian Shepherd.
My parents had an Aussie that was the best hunting dog we ever had. Retrieving wise anyway. Also protective of me, even until she died. She was probably 15 then.
Rip

leatherneck

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2008, 06:02:28 PM »
In the past I have kept a pack of beagles for rabbit hunting and field trailing. Two years ago I sold off all of my dogs mainly because my wife was pregnant with our first child and I want to free up my time to spend with her and my daughter. Hunting dogs are a great asset for hunting. Once you hunt rabbit over a good pack of hounds you will not want to go back to kicking brush piles unless its a survival situation! What some people don't realize is that hounds and hunting dogs in general require a lot of conditioning in training. In my case I used to keep between 3-5 adult hounds and usually had a few pups and young pups on hand as well. I tried to keep my dogs in top form year round because I liked to field trial outside of hunting season. I typically spent 20-30 hours a week conditioning hounds. Now if you are just looking for some dogs to hunt over you wouldn't need to spend that kind of time training. You could probably get away with a few hours a month during the summer and then increase that to 10 hours a week just before season. But if you want dogs that have the endurance to hunt all day you have to condition them to hunt all day. Aside from the physical conditioning you have to train the dog to perform.  Granted, if a hound doesn't have natural ability you won't ever be able to make it into a solid hunting dog. However, you can take a dog with all the natural ability in the world and not train it properly it won't turn out any better than a hound with no talent. Long story short Hunting dogs are a great asset but the do require a lot of time, and experience to get what you want.

SeventhSon

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2008, 06:57:09 AM »
This is my 2 year old English Setter:

As for the best "all around" hunting dog my vote would go to one of the Continental Versatile breeds, probably the Drahthaar. They can literally do it all, point upland birds, retrieve waterfowl, flush fur (bunnies/etc), track wounded large game. Heck they were bred to take down wild boar so they are tough as nails.
My buddy has one and when he leaves it in his pickup cab he could literally leave a hundred dollar bill on the dash and NO ONE would get near it.
Plus I just love the beard:

Earth Monk

« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2008, 02:24:09 PM »
Might I intrest you fellas in the Catahulya Leopard Hound ( also known as the Louisiana Leopard Hound)

Leopard dogs are the only known domesticated native North American breed of dog... developed by our Native American Indians and early settlers, and kept pure to the present day by folks who use them to work livestock, hunt game ranging from squirrels to coons to bears, and as guard dogs.
http://www.catahoulaleopard.com/homepg.htm
-Ras

230therapy

« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2008, 03:54:43 PM »
Love the Catahoula.  I have had two.  They're excellent family dogs and will hunt hogs, rabbits, deer and work cattle (two are required for horses though).  They guard well too and cornered various family members until they were "Officially Allowed In The House".  If I'd known they'd do rabbits, I'd have gotten another one.  Right now, I have a beagle who is nuts for rabbits.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2008, 03:59:22 PM by 230therapy »

Offline Hellboy

• Prepper
  • Member Support Brigade
    • TheFreeMen.org
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2008, 05:07:41 PM »
She hunts stuff, I don't.

AmadorShooter

« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2008, 12:20:23 PM »
I have 2 Chocolate Labs.  Both are pretty good in the field, and good companions for the kids.  I hunt upland game bird primarily, but imagine they would do well in the duck blind as much as they love water and retrieving!
Remember to always have plenty of dog food and any meds they need in your bug out (or in) kit. 

Offline TexSquirrel

• Survivor
  • Native Texan
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2008, 02:28:38 PM »
I have a 6 month old Golden Retriever.
She is great with the kids!
I haven't hunted with her yet, I've just started working with her.
She is definitely a natural retriever.

Offline chris

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2008, 02:51:05 PM »
Nobody mentions Basset Hounds? Exceptional noses on an economically sized dog.  ;D

Offline theaccidentalsurvivor

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2008, 03:23:28 PM »
I've been looking at Rhodesian Ridgebacks. Anyone have an opinion on them?

Offline TimSuggs

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2008, 03:26:34 PM »
Might I intrest you fellas in the Catahulya Leopard Hound ( also known as the Louisiana Leopard Hound)

Leopard dogs are the only known domesticated native North American breed of dog... developed by our Native American Indians and early settlers, and kept pure to the present day by folks who use them to work livestock, hunt game ranging from squirrels to coons to bears, and as guard dogs.
http://www.catahoulaleopard.com/homepg.htm
-Ras

Bro!  Got any idea what the Catahoula Leopard Dogs go far ($$$) and where/how to contact a breeder?  TIA!

Tim Suggs
Birmingham, AL. USA!

Earth Monk

« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2008, 01:17:35 PM »
Hey Suggs,

230threapy says he has two,

Love the Catahoula.  I have had two.

might be a good lead for "SP Aquisition and reappropriation of resources" as my supply guy would say.

I know many of the Catahulya dogs are around Louisiana, not too far from you for a quality mutt.

Google it, I'm sure you'll find what your looking for.

-Ras, Code 10

[/color]

Earth Monk

« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2008, 01:24:01 PM »

The Rhodesian Ridgeback is a beautiful specimen of an animal. They are tall, lean, muscular, and powerful. Its my understanding they were bred originally to hunt large game in sub Sahara Africa. Rhodesia (Now Zimbabwe) was a large area colonized and cleared for white farmers there of Dutch and English Decent who developed the breed.

As far as the dog goes, I'd say do it if you have the time and temperament to deal with a powerful and smart dog. Training should be easy if your consistent and conduct sessions in a regular manner. Tip: keep the sessions short and sweet, ALWAYS end on a positive note with the dog.

Good Luck,
-Ras
Kennel Master, USAF

Offline theaccidentalsurvivor

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2008, 01:34:47 PM »

The Rhodesian Ridgeback is a beautiful specimen of an animal. They are tall, lean, muscular, and powerful. Its my understanding they were bred originally to hunt large game in sub Sahara Africa. Rhodesia (Now Zimbabwe) was a large area colonized and cleared for white farmers there of Dutch and English Decent who developed the breed.

As far as the dog goes, I'd say do it if you have the time and temperament to deal with a powerful and smart dog. Training should be easy if your consistent and conduct sessions in a regular manner. Tip: keep the sessions short and sweet, ALWAYS end on a positive note with the dog.

Good Luck,
-Ras
Kennel Master, USAF

Thanks for the tips. +1 to you.

Offline VTaero

• Survivor
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2009, 09:08:00 PM »
I'm in the market for a new dog.  I've had my eye on a Chesapeake Bay Retriever, but after one of the shows I listened to recently the Black Mouth Cur is pretty high on my list too. 

Chesapeake Bay Retrievers are wonderful dogs. We had one when I was around 4.  I never hunted with him, but he was very smart and would catch a Frisbee mid flight 7' or 8' off the ground.

Offline aeaas

• Prepper
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2009, 12:16:57 AM »
I have a Beagle /Brittany Spaniel mix (50/50) and he is hunt crazy. I think we got the best of both breeds with him, he has the Brittany legs, agility and endurance but the Beagle nose and brains  ;D

The other one is a doberman mix, don't take her hunting

Offline ebonearth

• TSP Bunny Rabbit Wrangler
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Plant a Revolution!
« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2009, 01:59:43 AM »
I have a French Brittany myself, there's photos of the little imp on here somewhere. He's smart for the breed that I have observed, incredibly responsive and in the middle of his late puppy phase at the moment being nine months old. My own little le fougueux! I love that he is active the moment we step outside but save for brief spurts of activity he is very mellow indoors, perfectly content with the occasional bit of play and just happy to curl up. In fact he starts obedience school next week! I am starting to get him used to early morning dashes, making sure to keep him alert and responsive when I do so, not that he needs it, I just hope I'm not ruining him.

As for children, he's naturally gentle with children, just last week we had him on the sidewalk while we were at a local eatery and he was just happily lapping hands and kissing babies... well practically. When other, larger or smaller dogs strolled by he kept his cool all the while the Cockapoo companion of his (our friends' dog) was pulling at the leash, whining, barking and generally being a nuisance. All the boys were besotted with him. Personally I would not have chosen any other breed, well save my deep unbridled love of Maremmas, but that's for when I have a flock they can work with.

Offline birddogGSP

• Prepper
« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2010, 03:35:49 PM »
Had an Springer spaniel and she was the best dog I have ever owned. Hyper and whiny, definitely.

I now have a GSP. Imagine that (username). The reason I chose him was $60 purebred 3 month old with papers and shots. He has been more than I expected. Got into the local NAVHDA (North American Versatile Hunting Dog) club. They teach you how to train your dog to do everything from trailing to pointing. Caveat: They only run pointing breeds.

They have been a great asset. All boils down to what you want your dog for and how well you want them to do it.

Trained with a professional trainer for 1 1/2 yrs and saw a lot of junk. Train yourself before you try to train a dog. I love to hear the stories of mutts that are outstanding. Makes me wonder why some people pay so much for a dog and don't have a clue.   

Offline WatereeBrew

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2010, 10:07:25 PM »

This is my Catahoula. She can bloodtrail a deer like nobodies business.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2010, 10:11:51 PM by WatereeBrew »

Offline monkeybird

• Survivor
« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2010, 07:36:22 AM »
Having owned Standard Poodles for many years, I can report that they are EXCELLENT hunters.  Hunting is what they were originally bred for.  The hunting instinct as well as their super intelligence makes them formatable hunters.   In addition to hunting, they are wonderful family pets.  It's a shame they get the reputation for being "foofoo".  I have never owned a "foofoo" or high strung poodle, ever.  Well bred poodles and the very best!  Below are links picked at random to illustrate my point.

http://www.redhuntingpoodles.com/hunting.html

http://www.tudorosestandardpoodles.com/fieldhunting.cfm

Of Course - sleeping is important too.