Author Topic: Decent day pack for slung rifle  (Read 3068 times)

Offline canprep

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Decent day pack for slung rifle
« on: July 04, 2013, 12:49:19 PM »
Heh, Guys/Gals does anyone have an idea for a good hunting day pack that will work with a rifle slung on your right side. I'm just getting started and have been out a coupe of times small game hunting and my current pack is not currently working for me. I'm looking to spend around the price of the Maxpedition Monsoon. So any suggestions would be helpful.   

nelson96

Re: Decent day pack for slung rifle
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2013, 01:42:34 PM »
I don't know what a Maxpedition Monsoon costs, but I recently switched from a large fanny pack to a day pack and went with an Eberlestock pack (the G2H) which offers an integrated scabbard that fits between the pack and your back.  This design transfers the weight very well and allows easy retrieval of your rifle on the fly (I've got personal confirmation from last years elk hunt).  I have a few comments about it on different threads here on TSP. . . .  I love it.

« Last Edit: July 04, 2013, 02:01:06 PM by nelson96 »

Offline canprep

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2013, 12:27:06 AM »
Was considering something like that particularly since Bantario has the awesome rule that says the gun has to be encased on all six sides when it's not legal to hunt making it a problem to carry if your caught out too late walking back to your start point. Unless you bring a soft case with a strap on it. I do miss Manitoba you were okay if it was unloaded after hunting hours.

nelson96

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2013, 08:32:10 AM »
Was considering something like that particularly since Bantario has the awesome rule that says the gun has to be encased on all six sides when it's not legal to hunt making it a problem to carry if your caught out too late walking back to your start point. Unless you bring a soft case with a strap on it. I do miss Manitoba you were okay if it was unloaded after hunting hours.

Well that sounds like a pretty sucky rule.  My brother and I decided to try the the G2H (stands for Gunslinger II, hunting version) pack due to the fact that we elk hunt in rough terrain and will often hike up to 8-10 miles a day.  We like to have our hands free because of the terrain and we like to frequently scan the area with our binoculars and rangefinders.  Not to mention it's just easier to walk when you don't have a sling over your shoulder trying to slip off all the time.  Plus, using a pack with a scabbard still gives you the option to carry any other way you would otherwise carry.

Before buying the G2H we had tried other packs that had the scabbard on the back of the pack, but these proved to be very difficult (to impossible) to access with the pack on and created a center of gravity issue, pulling us backward all the time.  Eberlestock makes a variety of packs with different sized scabbards and I found that the scabbard integrated in to the G2H was large enough to not interfere with my large rifle and attached scope.  I can even pack my LR-308 with a 10-round mag, long range scope (with adjustable turrets), and bi-pod.  Both rifles can be easily removed from the scabbard while walking or standing with the pack on and can be done quietly enough so not to alert your prey.  I shot my bull last year at about 50 yards and had my rifle in the pack when he was first spotted.  He was on the move when I spotted him so I knew I wouldn't have much time, but I drew it out quiet enough not to alert him to my presence and quickly enough to get a shot off before he got away.

nelson96

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2013, 03:34:55 PM »
Did you ever settle on a pack?

I should have mentioned the Muley Fanny Pack by Wilderness Pack Specialties.  Before I purchased my Eberlestock pack I used this pack for 10 years or more.  The design of the compartments are now a little different than mine, but it looks like the shoulder harness and waist belt are the same.  I've packed a lot of gear in this pack and never had problems with it.  I even sent it back to them once, with instructions on some alterations I wanted (add some D-rings to tie clothing on to, reinforcement in a couple of places, and replace the metal zipper tabs with paracord so they would be quieter).  Not only did he make the changes for free but thanked me for ideas to make his design better.