Author Topic: Chickens, chickens, chickens!  (Read 12963 times)

Offline Ronnie53

• Prepper
Chickens, chickens, chickens!
« on: December 30, 2012, 05:45:16 PM »
I totally love my hens!  They're the light of my life!  They're so much fun!  I love their talking to one another. They get their regular feed but today I brought home a 'sweet feed' suitable for all farm livestock and gave them a small amount.  Oh, the talk over that wonderful yummy treat!  They gobbled up all of the table scraps as well.  They are pure joy. 
I will post a lot more as time goes by........will look forward to what others share too.

http://www.backyardchickens.com/a/maurice-chicken-coop-car

http://greenroofchickencoop.com/

Offline 11 Bravo

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
Re: Chickens, chickens, chickens!
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2012, 06:45:22 PM »
My girlfriend didn't believe me when I told her chickens were easier than cats and dogs. She loves them now, even picked up a dozen night crawlers as a treat for them, gives them all kinds of leftovers.......she now wants to pick out a couple chicks in the spring. She loves having them.

Offline Ronnie53

• Prepper
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2012, 02:57:33 AM »
Oh wow..night crawlers.  Never thought about that.  I have been giving them the suet cakes like you hang out for birds.  I break off chunks and give it to them before their bedtime so they can produce more body heat during the night.  It's Iowa...it's winter...and January can be brutal.  I built their coop.  It is buttass ugly but it's sturdy.  It's my first wood working project.  I know everything I did wrong now and will remodel it in the spring.  We'll get by until then.  Good thing chickens aren't picky!

Google    BooBoo the Chicken on Jay Leno     for a good story/ laugh.   

Chickens are super great.  I can't get over the joy they bring me.  I love the reaction people give me when I start telling them about my chickens.  They're just stunned...first comment is    "you got CHICKENS?????"  They look at me like I've dug up an alien space ship that was buried deep beneath the earth's surface.

Offline SteveandTracyinKY

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Survival Chef
    • The Hen House
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2012, 03:00:18 AM »
I would love to have chickens. But living in an apartment in the city I don't think everyone else would like them as much as I would. Good for you learning something new. Pics?

Offline Uncreate

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2012, 04:31:28 AM »
Awesome that you are loving your chicks!! Keep the amazing work and let me know when the chicken fry is!! LOL

Offline MsJohnBarleycorn

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2012, 06:48:36 AM »
We love, love, love our chickens too!  I wondered if your chickens had been outside at all with the snow (& cold) we have here in Iowa?  Ours have been cooped up for a couple weeks.  I've shoveled a bit around their coop - there is grass/dirt exposed in some areas,  but we only have one chicken that will venture out.  She's the "low ranking" chicken - I'm sure she just wants to get away from the others.   

That chicken coop car is pretty cool!

Offline Ronnie53

• Prepper
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2012, 10:25:49 AM »
hahaha...no chicken fry!  They're too sweet plus that's like killing the goose that laid the golden egg.............or eggs in this case!  Plus my daughter (she's 30) is a vegetarian and refused to meet my chickens if I was going to butcher them.  She LOVED holding one.  They just coo and talk to you.  My grandson is a demon tho...I told him NOT to chase my chickens and that is the first thing he did.  So he got grabbed by the collar and dragged inside.

As for chickens inside, smaller chickens might work.  I would ask Jack.  Mine are pretty big.  They are Plymouth Rocks.

How do I post a photo in here?  I am suffering from dorkitis in forums.

Offline rogersorders

• Survivor
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2012, 04:32:49 PM »
How do I post a photo in here?

Sis Wolf did a post a while back on how to do it.

http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=21040.0

I had to dig it up last week when I brain farted.

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Geese Smuggling Moonbat
  • Survival Veteran
  • There are no mistakes, just Learning Experiences
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2012, 04:36:22 PM »
Oh wow..night crawlers.  Never thought about that.  I have been giving them the suet cakes like you hang out for birds.  I break off chunks and give it to them before their bedtime so they can produce more body heat during the night.

i know chickens are carnivores - but can I give them the leftovers from my stock making?  I give it to the cats for now, but if the chickens would like the fat....
well, right now, the only fat I have is chicken/turkey fat from my thanksgiving broths.  would it be unkosher to give that to my girls?

Offline Ronnie53

• Prepper
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2012, 06:12:03 PM »
On accident I  threw out some bits from the Cornish hens we had for Christmas dinner mixed in with the other chicken scraps I had saved. Talk about a WAR over those scraps.  The matriarch hen took possession of the meat immediately and NO ONE was allowed near any of it.  I have also heard that grinding up the egg shells and putting that out is a good source of calcium for them.  Somehow it all seems quite wrong, doesn't it?  But yes, they do love meat.  That is why I've been giving them pieces of suet cakes.  They gobble that up in seconds.   

Offline Ronnie53

• Prepper
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2013, 09:03:00 AM »

Offline Ronnie53

• Prepper
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2013, 10:42:59 AM »
http://walkandnotfaint89.blogspot.com/2012/10/chicken-tunnel-chunnel.html      I like this concept but after reading the comments I think there must be a better way to construct this to make it more mobile and for easier clean up.  Hoping to get some ideas from you guys.  Thanks.

Offline stoneandland

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2013, 08:29:39 PM »
Be kind, long time listener to TSP, first time poster.  Just set up my profile on the 13skills.com.  Actually posting to find out my member number  or something and link back to the 13skills.  Anyway I'm quite a novice at all things Social Media but this site I've been posting on has some basic articles but GREAT imagery that might inspire on the next project.  Here's the latest article I read with some good chicken coop pictures, if you haven't seen enough of them already.  Eye candy mostly, I'm sure you all would be more into raising pastured poultry.  Enjoy 

http://www.houzz.com/ideabooks/1781658/list/Chicken-Coops-That-Rule-the-Roost

There is an Aussi in this post who was getting me all tangled up with her slang, kinda funny how we can get so confused with people who speak the same language.
http://www.houzz.com/ideabooks/5022490/list/Raise-Backyard-Chickens-Without-Ruffling-Neighbors--Feathers

back link to my 13skills.com
http://13skills.com/member/4495/stone-land
« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 08:48:02 PM by stoneandland »

Offline Roundabouts

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2013, 05:58:46 AM »
This is what our chicken coop looks like.  Love it.  The birds love it too.  Built a much larger on for the turkeys Now I am finding out that the pigs like this style too.    We did paint and seal the floor very well then put a tarp down that runs at least a foot up the wall.  So we can spray it down and makes for easy cleaning. 

Note this is NOT ours but looks just the same. 

http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/445004/woods-style-house-in-the-winter

Offline stoneandland

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2013, 09:28:14 AM »

Note this is NOT ours but looks just the same. 

http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/445004/woods-style-house-in-the-winter

That a nice coop Roundabouts, you should definitely share some photos.  I like the ventilation and roof line.  The one idea I liked in the articles I mentioned was to line the walls with fiberglass sheet, like I guess you'd find in a restaurant prep area.  Maybe that's over the top, but I'm a bit of a neat freak.  I'm still exploring if chickens would even be a great fit for me.  My Grandma has a farm, just getting the land rented out now but they used to keep chickens, but mostly hogs.  Hen house is still there, just storage now.

Offline Frugal Upstate

• Dedicated Contributor
  • aka Jenn Fowler and Jenn @ Frugal Upstate ;)
    • Frugal Upstate
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2013, 09:50:01 AM »
I really, really want chickens, but they are not allowed in my village except with a "variance" that they never give to anyone.  I've been thinking I need to start attending village board meetings-just sitting in on them monthly for a while as a "concerned citizen" with absolutely no agenda (visible anyway) and then eventually work my way up to doing some sort of campaign to be allowed the variance. . . not sure exactly how yet. . .

Offline stoneandland

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2013, 10:43:26 AM »
That's a nice idea Frugal-Upstate, hope it doesn't take up too much of your time.  With a name like Fowler it should be your god given right to raise chickens!!!

Offline Frugal Upstate

• Dedicated Contributor
    • Frugal Upstate
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2013, 02:04:39 PM »
That's a nice idea Frugal-Upstate, hope it doesn't take up too much of your time.  With a name like Fowler it should be your god given right to raise chickens!!!

I know, you'd think I could say "It's my family's heritage" or something.

Offline Ronnie53

• Prepper
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2013, 10:33:08 AM »

Offline stoneandland

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2013, 11:44:54 AM »
Hey, I heard this going into the city yesterday.  There is an audio playback of the short interview but it might give you chicken enthusiast an idea of another way to make a buck with your expertise.  Maybe it easier to blog or write an e-book, I don’t know.

Chicago Chicken Consultant
http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2013/01/05/local-woman-hold-urban-chicken-raising-class/

I was actually on my way to tour a place that is using and developing a lot of other things on my 13skills list, Aquaponics, Alternative Energy, Permaculture Design.  It’s called " The Plant “ in the Back of the Yards neighborhood of Chicago. It’s a Repurposed Sustainable Urban Vertical Agriculture Small Business Incubator Building. I can’t fit it all in one sentence but if you like that kind of stuff, check it out. Its on its way to be a net-zero energy building using an anaerobic digester to produce gas to run a jet engine turbine. Central to the economic viability is the owner and a couple of tenants are using Aquaponics to grow Greens and Microgreens for markets and restaurants. Very inspiring. I'm going to volunteer to help with construction and soak in all the knowledge.

I should probably start another discussion but I didn’t want to venture out too far in the forum if you don’t think it’ll apply. I’d like to get a little feedback.  Thanks, Daniel

http://www.plantchicago.com/

Offline rikkrack

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Permaculture Entrepreneur
    • Wolf-Beach Farms
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2013, 11:51:39 AM »
Not to that scale but I had a local group I am on Meet-up out for tour of our homestead.

Aquaponics
Chickens
Edible landscaping.

Some took pics and video, but mainly listen to things tried to show them I did wrong so they wouldn't make same mistakes. Will be venturing out to their sites for some 1:1 help if they need it.

I think if we as preppers have skills we should share them with anyone wanting to learn.

I am bartering some chicken experience for welding lessons. sounds to transactional. A guy I know is showing me how to weld to show him and help him with his chicken start up.

Offline stoneandland

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2013, 01:15:17 PM »
I like the barter idea rikkrack.  I see you're near Indianapolis.  Hopefully you have space to keep going with the aquaponics and chickens.  This lady is trying to fight city hall.  I didn't get too into her blog site, but it looks like she might have some resources, reference material to help homeowners get ordinances changed.  Frugal Upstate might find something useful.  A strategy to wear down the bureaucrats.

http://urbanchickenconsultant.wordpress.com/legalizing-chickens-resources/

An alternative I think modernsurvival has said in a podcast, do it anyway and ask for forgiveness later if they catch you.  I know a former employer used that mindset when he put in a bridge over a creek to get full access to his property.  If its a net benefit to Health, Safety & Welfare, the government should stay out of it.  BTW, the county made my employer jump through all kinds of hoops to remediate his unauthorized bridge.  It should be a lot easier to take care of a problem with a few chickens.  Pretty low risk, might be big enough to harvest by the time anyone gets too bent out of shape.

Offline Ronnie53

• Prepper
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2013, 04:44:35 PM »
http://www.naturalnews.com/038784_backyard_chickens_egg_layers_healthy.html  <   
The Health Ranger's guide to raising healthy, happy chickens without antibiotics

Learn more: http://www.naturalnews.com/038784_backyard_chickens_egg_layers_healthy.html#ixzz2IwJPJYWh

Basics but good stuff for beginners.  Will try the oregano oil for sure.  Got some Merrick's Blue Ribbon Poultry Electrolytes to put in the water too and a 40lb of scratch grain. 

Thankfully my chickens are putting up with my learning process! 

Offline Ronnie53

• Prepper
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2013, 06:45:14 PM »

Offline Ronnie53

• Prepper
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2013, 07:00:44 PM »
http://pinterest.com/lbboyd/garden/   <hope you can all open this.  TONS of great info/plans/ideas in there.  UGH..pintrest makes me insane.  I look at the clock at 8:00 and it says 10:00 instead!  Time eater, SO addictive but the wealth of ideas is simply endless.

Offline Frugal Upstate

• Dedicated Contributor
    • Frugal Upstate
« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2013, 12:05:36 PM »
  Frugal Upstate might find something useful.  A strategy to wear down the bureaucrats.

http://urbanchickenconsultant.wordpress.com/legalizing-chickens-resources/

Thanks-I'll take a look!

Offline Ronnie53

• Prepper
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2013, 04:03:32 PM »
chicken question:   I have one hen that is molting like crazy.   The others are being terribly cruel to her.  Why?  She won't even go to the coop at night.  She sleeps in a nesting box.

Offline stoneandland

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2013, 09:50:33 AM »
Ok I don't hve much to add except CHICKEN DIAPERS!  I thought that would grab your attention.  This discussion was a little stale so I thought it needed a little levity.  Is this a joke or does anyone have any experience with it?  I guess some people want to have their chickens in the house.  I guess you can't litter box train them.  Here is the link.  Hope it makes you chuckle.

http://www.mypetchicken.com/catalog/Diapers-and-Saddles/Chicken-Diaper-Free-shipping-p494.aspx?utm_source=MPC&utm_medium=Slideshow&utm_campaign=HPSlideshow&utm_content=diaper

Offline rikkrack

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Permaculture Entrepreneur
    • Wolf-Beach Farms
« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2013, 10:05:26 AM »
Ok I don't hve much to add except CHICKEN DIAPERS!  I thought that would grab your attention.  This discussion was a little stale so I thought it needed a little levity.  Is this a joke or does anyone have any experience with it?  I guess some people want to have their chickens in the house.  I guess you can't litter box train them.  Here is the link.  Hope it makes you chuckle.

http://www.mypetchicken.com/catalog/Diapers-and-Saddles/Chicken-Diaper-Free-shipping-p494.aspx?utm_source=MPC&utm_medium=Slideshow&utm_campaign=HPSlideshow&utm_content=diaper

:wtf: