Author Topic: Chickens, chickens, chickens!  (Read 12771 times)

Offline Ronnie53

• Prepper
Re: Chickens, chickens, chickens!
« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2013, 11:45:00 AM »
I'm new at chickens and my one hen displayed some tendencies I was a bit stunned at.  She flew up on top of one of the barrels I will use for rain water storage (up coming project!), got herself all puffed up, stuck her neck out, put her wings out a bit and attempted to crow.

Um......................................................................why?

Offline EmmaPeel

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2013, 03:57:30 PM »
We have one rooster that matured very slowly.  We thought she was a hen for the longest time until she ... I mean he mounted one of the hens.  His brother had been crowing and mating for a good month.  He didn't even crow for another couple of weeks.  They hatched the same day.  Didn't get the tell-tale nubs for spurs until he started crowing.  You can still barely see them weeks later.

Offline Ronnie53

• Prepper

Offline Shamsun

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #33 on: April 15, 2013, 12:48:45 PM »
Convinced 2 of my friends to get chickens! I love my hens

Offline Ronnie53

• Prepper
« Reply #34 on: April 18, 2013, 06:47:06 AM »
The Chicken Hospital (and How I used Essential Oils on my Hen)
http://www.theprairiehomestead.com/2013/04/the-chicken-hospital-and-how-i-used-essential-oils-on-my-hen.html

Great knowledge to have!

Offline Gulo gulo

• Senior Survivalist
  • Sic semper tyrannis
« Reply #35 on: April 18, 2013, 11:33:40 AM »
I'm new at chickens and my one hen displayed some tendencies I was a bit stunned at.  She flew up on top of one of the barrels I will use for rain water storage (up coming project!), got herself all puffed up, stuck her neck out, put her wings out a bit and attempted to crow.

My aunt had a hen that would try to crow and mount the others, guess there are butch animals of all species. ::)

Offline rikkrack

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Permaculture Entrepreneur
    • Wolf-Beach Farms
« Reply #36 on: April 18, 2013, 11:59:35 AM »
gender confused chicken....interesting. What would Froyd say?

Offline bigjim71

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #37 on: May 12, 2013, 08:46:15 PM »

Real simple answer if you don't have any roosters around one of your hens will naturally take over/lead the flock,(I call mine boss chicken) and because they are just chickens and not the brightest animal god put on the earth. They can  get confused and think they are roosters.

Offline Ronnie53

• Prepper
« Reply #38 on: July 08, 2013, 05:10:44 AM »
http://chickens-for-sale.com/new-herbal-poultry-red-mite-control/
The Problem

Red mite is one of the worst ectoparasites to all chicken keepers and avian enthusiasts, it is a nocturnal blood feeding parasite, which crawl onto the roosting birds at night to feed on their blood. After feeding, the mites hide in cracks and crevices where they mate and lay eggs.

The Red Mite has a short breeding cycle 7-10 days and during this time the female can lay several hundred eggs so that unless controlled, mite populations can rapidly increase within the housing.

Red Mite attack causes increased stress to the poor chicken and can lead to a reduction in egg production, poor feed conversion, anaemia and a weak immune system. Mites are also vectors for the transmission of disease and may bite other animals including humans and therefore could pose a health risk to those people keeping chickens or other avian species.

Conventional insecticide applications are not working satisfactorily, although many kill the Red Mite on actual contact, there is increasing evidence of resistance problems leading to poor results.

Go to the link for more info....

Offline Ronnie53

• Prepper
« Reply #39 on: July 26, 2013, 08:31:15 PM »
Oh what a hard HARD lesson in mites. 

Lost another hen today due to them.  I had NO clue.  I keep a wood ash pile for them to dust in.  One hen has had problems with diarrhea from time to time but a good breakfast of Keifer usually put her back on track.   She had been dusting herself a lot but didn't think much of it.  Then she was just a mess one evening and I lost her the next morning.  It was mites.

I have two hens left. One is totally stressed.  She will not leave the nesting box unless I force her to.  Then she eats like crazy because she's so hungry.  I have been giving her electrolytes.  Now that I am aware of the problems, I dusted both hens with Seven Dust....ick....but it is my only choice right now.  I keep the nesting box clean.  I use shredded newspaper for nesting material. When I clean the box, I bleach it.  I guess this was not enough.

I just can't lose my last two hens.  Any advice will be deeply appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/08/poultry-lice-and-mites-identification.html

Offline Ronnie53

• Prepper
« Reply #40 on: July 27, 2013, 06:12:08 AM »
chicken question:   I have one hen that is molting like crazy.   The others are being terribly cruel to her.  Why?  She won't even go to the coop at night.  She sleeps in a nesting box.

Is she the only one molting at the moment?  The others may be pecking at her.  I've heard it said that when one hen looks very different from the others that it is more likely to be attacked by a predator than the rest of the flock.  So that one is culled so that it looks more vulnerable to a predator hence ensuring the safety of the rest. 

Offline Ronnie53

• Prepper
« Reply #41 on: July 31, 2013, 05:54:53 AM »
http://www.fresh-eggs-daily.com/2013/02/mites-how-to-prevent-them-and-treat.html

Mites - Natural Prevention and Treatment for your Chickens