Author Topic: Snow Boots  (Read 3932 times)

Offline Josiah

• Prepper
  • Class Migrator
    • ThriveThrough
Snow Boots
« on: December 30, 2012, 08:27:23 PM »
I am looking for a good survival snow boot. The best I have found are these:
http://www.hikingbootshandcrafted.com/Snow-Boots.html
The problem with them is the price.... $1,600. No way can I spend that much on boots.
The reason I like these is that they are water proof, very well built, leather, lined, and the soles can be repaired.

Anybody know of a boot that can match these but not cost as much. They are custom fitted and made which must increase the price a great deal.

Offline cmxterra

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Bugging out in style.
Re: Snow Boots
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2012, 08:40:26 PM »

nelson96

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2012, 08:44:01 PM »
I've always had good luck with White's Boots. They hold up real well to real work, and do the job each boot is made for.

Offline Josiah

• Prepper
  • Class Migrator
    • ThriveThrough
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2012, 08:48:53 PM »
The only problem I have with these boots are that they have rubber soles. I am looking for a waterproof boot that has soles that can be easily replaced. Most of these boots are nailed together. This seems to be difficult to find these days but if TSHTF I want to be able to repair my boots without having to take them in or ship them to a manufacturer.
I guess I could patch the rubber if needed on my current rubber boots but would like other options.

nelson96

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2012, 09:15:05 PM »
I know nothing about boot repair so I don't know if these will work.  I've never actually used this particular model or brand of boot, but the type is what I normally use for hunting.  They've worked out well for me, but not as good at keeping me warm and dry as the boot in my first post.

Rocky 10" RidgeStalker 1,000 gram Insulated Hunting Boots:
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/Rocky-10-RidgeStalker-Waterproof-1000-gram-Thinsulate-Ultra-Insulated-Hunting-Boots.aspx?a=896009&pm2d=CSE-SPG-3-GOOGLE&gltrk=k76919&gltrkaff=TheFind%2C%20Inc.&gltrkadv=TSGUSA&gltrkkid=K201374&clickid=0004d21e2bcac7a80aec2a4b30000178&utm_source=TheFind%2C%20Inc.&utm_medium=GAN&utm_campaign=Primary

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2012, 10:52:12 PM »
I liked my Sorrels. They were on sale for $79CA and I ran 100 miles one weekend in them at -30C and bit colder. I am guessing I had about 800 miles on those boots in snow and most of those miles were running a dog team, that said, I also used them on cold days to feed out the animals on the farm. With 2 pairs of socks, my feet were fine albiet sore after the 100 milers.

Cedar

Offline SteveandTracyinKY

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Survival Chef
    • The Hen House
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2012, 03:04:36 AM »
Cedar: What exactly is a "bunny boot" and how would those fit in with what he is asking. I have heard a lot of talk about them being used in Alaska and Canada and all, but can't seem to find anything exactly called a "bunny boot" except for medical foot supporters.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2012, 09:33:23 AM »
Cedar: What exactly is a "bunny boot" and how would those fit in with what he is asking. I have heard a lot of talk about them being used in Alaska and Canada and all, but can't seem to find anything exactly called a "bunny boot" except for medical foot supporters.

There are kid versions they talk about up north, but since my baby was only 5 days old when I moved back to the states, I did not have to get any. But I think you are talking about http://west.loadup.com/military/surplus/30201.html evidently they can also be called 'Mickey Boots"? http://www.colemans.com/bootsandshoes.htm

Most everyone I knew who worked in the bush wore Baffins which go to -50F. (although something on there also says something about-145F, at which I am keeping my bum inside the house) http://www.winterfootwear.com/p2954c225b116lr-Froogle-baffin_granite_mens_composite_toe_extreme_cold_work_boots.html?gclid=CNCn88iIxbQCFQhyQgodZQYAQQ#chsku98761

Cedar

nelson96

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2012, 10:06:51 AM »
A reminder about warmth and the ability ANY cold weather boot has to control it. . .  Typical cold weather boots are designed to insulate the foot and do not provide direct warmth but, rather, insulate and maintain warmth generated by the body. Warmth estimates that manufacturers offer, are based on the insulating properties of the boot liner used. A variety of items can significantly lower the actual temperature that your cold weather boots will be comfortable in. These items include, but are not limited to, your length of exposure to cold, wind chill, your overall physical health including sufficient intake of food and water for the conditions, moisture content inside the boot, and the overall condition of the boot and liner.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2012, 11:21:54 AM »
Typical cold weather boots are designed to insulate the foot and do not provide direct warmth but, rather, insulate and maintain warmth generated by the body.

This is true.. and if you mention you are cold when running a dog team, if anyone hears you mention it, they reply, " Means you are not running enough".  ;)

Cedar

Offline BetaMike

• Survivor
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2012, 11:32:31 AM »
Most everyone I knew who worked in the bush wore Baffins which go to -50F. (although something on there also says something about-145F, at which I am keeping my bum inside the house) http://www.winterfootwear.com/p2954c225b116lr-Froogle-baffin_granite_mens_composite_toe_extreme_cold_work_boots.html?gclid=CNCn88iIxbQCFQhyQgodZQYAQQ#chsku98761

Cedar

Good to hear about the Baffins, I've been eyeing those.  Saw them at Duluth Trading.  Claim to have a comfort factor of -76F.  Not bad.

http://www.duluthtrading.com/store/mens/mens-accessories/mens-shoes-mens-boots/39026.aspx

nelson96

« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2012, 11:39:57 AM »
Another reminder . . .  Make sure you choose your boot wisely when it comes to insulation value.  Base this on your intended application.  If you're going to be riding a sled and letting the dogs do a good portion of the work, that's a lot different than if you are going to be hiking up and down hills . . .  Sweat will be the biggest contributor to cold feet.