Author Topic: my DIY 10/22 takedown stock.  (Read 2799 times)

Offline SlimJim

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
    • Make Your Own Gear
my DIY 10/22 takedown stock.
« on: December 31, 2012, 01:53:21 PM »
So Ruger finally got down to making a decent takedown stock for their awesome little rifle... and it's hideously expensive, and only works with a special receiver and bbl.

about 10 years ago I wanted a 10/22 takedown... so I cut off the fore end of my stock where the barrel connects to the receiver. This exposes the two allen screws and the barrel wedge. Yes, I do need a tool to disassemble/reassemble the rifle, but it takes less than a minute. And I cut a groove in the butt stock for the allen wrench, so the tool is stored on board. I also made two magazine cutouts in the butt stock to carry a pair of loaded mags. slick.

(Ok, a picture would be a 1000 words, so I'd better research how to upload to this board)

Now before you say "That won't work!!! it will kill you or break or something... it won't be accurate... there will be a plague of locusts over the land if you do that!"... I did it, and it has worked for 10 years. it's accurate w/ iron sights because they are both on the barrel. It is reasonably accurate with a scope, at least I can't tell any difference... but that may be my shooting too!

Now I have a 3d printer (jealous?  ;) ), and I'm thinking that a short production run of these takedown stocks would be a good project... I would expect a price under $150 once the prototyping is done. They would include a soft case as well.
MakeGear.blogspot.com

Offline microdevil45

• Survivor
  • Never Give Up...
Re: my DIY 10/22 takedown stock.
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2013, 10:13:29 PM »
Subscribing... Waiting on pics... :D

Offline scoob

• Survivor
  • It's the LIBERTY, stupid!
    • Marksmanship and American Heritage
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2013, 01:56:34 PM »
I'd like to see pics too.  I also have a 3D printer and like to gather ideas.

SlimJim, if you don't get the pictures uploading figured out, PM me and I'll get you an email you can send them to.  I'll post them or show you how if you'd like.

Offline willmart

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2013, 11:51:13 PM »

I never much liked taking the barrel out of a 10/22.  In addition to having to fiddle with an Allen wrench, you then have 3 small parts to keep track of (2 Allen screws and the barrel retaining block).  When putting the barrel back on, you have to careful to get the 2 screws torqued evenly, as well as to not over tighten them.

It seem to me that an easier way to make a 10/22 DIY takedown rifle would be to have a machinist make a replacement screw for the one that holds the action/barrel assembly in the stock but with a large knurled knob or wing nut type head that sticks out from the stock so that it can be removed by hand without tools.

Of course, you would have to have the sporter-type stock that does not have a front carbine-style barrel band, or just discard the barrel band, it is strictly cosmetic, and may actually harm accuracy if it binds on the barrel unevenly.
Will Martindale

The society which scorns excellence in plumbing as a humble activity and tolerates shoddiness in philosophy because it is an exalted activity will have neither good plumbing nor good philosophy: neither its pipes nor its theories will hold water. -- John W. Gardner

Offline 4bull

• The Pumpkin Whisperer
  • Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2013, 12:55:15 AM »
I have a Ram kit for 1 of my 10/22's . and the barrel retaining block is junk cracks run down the side and the tighting knob is stripped out .  there are none out there to reorder.

Offline kid_couteau

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2013, 07:28:49 AM »
I have thought of this concept myself.  It would make a nice compact package.
So far though I have not gone any farther than the 10-22 I just bought from a guy I know.  He built it from spare parts basically.

Butler Creek folding stock
16" youth model barrel

Folded it is only about 25"
[Just for clarification ATF measures overall length with stock unfolded]

Havent shot it yet but it sure feels handy and it was only $150

Kid

Offline SlimJim

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
    • Make Your Own Gear
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2013, 08:31:39 PM »
WOW that took me long enough!!

Here are the pictures

SlimJim
« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 06:55:02 AM by Nicodemus »
MakeGear.blogspot.com

Offline jd350az

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2013, 05:28:54 PM »
That's kinda cool! I also like the idea of the ramline folding stock

Offline 4bull

• The Pumpkin Whisperer
  • Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2013, 03:33:30 PM »
The ramline is plactic ,the bracket that holds the barrel in brakes so easy. the raised front sights
plastic ,im unhappy with it .

Online FreeLancer

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2013, 09:33:01 PM »
That's more compact than Ruger's TD 10/22, since there's no stock attached to the barrel.  I think I'll chop one up, too.
In times of change learners inherit the earth and the learned find themselves equipped for a world that no longer exists.   Eric Hoffer

You can always count on Americans to do the right thing - after they've tried everything else.  Winston Churchill

Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.  Voltaire

Offline brewboss

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2013, 07:19:39 AM »
It would be much easier and much more accurate, and the same size if you just remove the entire action from the stock and carry it that way.  You'll also only have one takedown screw to deal with that is a flat tip and not an Allen screw.  The one necessary step is getting rid of the barrel band.  IMO it is useless and I remove them and the nub that they surround when building my guns.  It makes the package shorter when the rifle is broken down.  I rework the chunky stock as well so that it fits the user.  Everyone in my house has their own custom fit 10-22 stock.  The differences are mi or so everyone can shoot every rifle with ease.  IMO you'd be doing a lot better keeping the barreled action complete and just removing the takedown screw.  The escutcheon will hold the screw and you could carry an extra if need be, but removing the barrel constantly doesn't seem like good practice and will lead to problems down the road as the receiver wears and the barrel droops for over tightening the barrel block.  You are torquing it to spec, aren't you?

Offline AmericanExces

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2013, 07:25:25 AM »
How much does the whole thing weigh? And what was your purpose? Like does it go in your BOB or behind the seat of your truck? I'm just curious enough to try it myself...