Author Topic: Northwest Territorial Mint - Terrible Experience  (Read 18666 times)

Offline Rayray250

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Northwest Territorial Mint - Terrible Experience
« on: January 01, 2013, 09:03:39 AM »
 So I placed a decent size order for silver back in early October.  They said it would ship sometime in between November 14 and 21.  Then the 21 got here and they said they were experiencing delays and couldn't ship it until December 24-31 somewhere in there.  Upon December 31 their policy said that if it was not shipped then I was entitled to a full refund or reorder at market value + their spot price. My choice.

I called them last Friday and the service rep said it was scheduled for drop shipment on Monday (31st) but due to the drop shipment wouldn't be able to get me a tracking number until days later....

Does that not sound like a lie so that they could buy a few more days without losing money due to the recent silver price drop?  I stopped short of calling her on this on Friday and wanted to give them until yesterday to ship it.  I did not receive a shipping confirmation email yesterday and will be calling them again tomorrow with some hard questions....

I got several good recommends for them from some reliable people but I will never buy from them again and will discourage everyone I can to do the same.

Offline Perfesser

• Survivalist Mentor
Re: Northwest Territorial Mint - Terrible Experience
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2013, 10:06:08 AM »
My first order was from NWT and I had the same problems.
I suspect they'll stall until the price of silver is higher than when you ordered it and when they can see a decent profit(at your expense) they'll ship.
I never dealt with them again.

Offline Rayray250

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2013, 10:15:01 AM »
What did you say to them and how did you finally get them to ship?

I'm hoping this doesn't drag out but I wonder if you need to get a lawyer or anything down the road...it was quite a large size order.

Offline cmxterra

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Bugging out in style.
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2013, 10:37:15 AM »
If you paid via a CC then I would dispute the charge. That will ding them with some fees as well as increase their operating expenses with the CC company

Offline ForgedPatriot

• Senior Survivalist
  • Scaring the general public since 68'
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2013, 10:51:29 AM »
http://www.apmex.com/

A buddy of mine uses this place, and quite often. He said he has never had a problem, and has always been satisfied. Sorry to hear you are having issues.

Offline cmxterra

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Bugging out in style.
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2013, 10:57:02 AM »
http://www.apmex.com/

A buddy of mine uses this place, and quite often. He said he has never had a problem, and has always been satisfied. Sorry to hear you are having issues.

I have used them and they are good to go in my book.

Offline Rayray250

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2013, 11:03:43 AM »
I paid via check.

Wish now I would have ate the extra money and paid CC....

I'll update after I call them tomorrow and do my best to rough talk into a refund lol.

Offline ncjeeper

• Most Noble Order of the Garter Snake
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Oooops!
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2013, 02:16:31 PM »
Not to hijack.......but another reason to buy local and face to face. Walk in, negotiate a price, buy and walk out.

Offline kckndrgn

• Survivalist Mentor
    • Ryans Turnings
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2013, 02:30:43 PM »
Good luck getting your money back!

I've used APMEX & Gainsville Coin with great results.

Niccolum

« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2013, 02:36:34 PM »
Not to hijack.......but another reason to buy local and face to face. Walk in, negotiate a price, buy and walk out.

This! Good luck with getting your money back.

Offline cmxterra

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Bugging out in style.
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2013, 02:53:13 PM »
I paid via check.

Wish now I would have ate the extra money and paid CC....

I'll update after I call them tomorrow and do my best to rough talk into a refund lol.

yeah.. You might check with your bank to see if there is any recourse. But from the looks of it you are screwed.

Good luck.

Offline Chemsoldier

• Pot Stirrer
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2013, 04:18:43 PM »
Sorry to hear it. 

FWIW: I have been dealing with them since 2009 and have no complaints.

Offline Rayray250

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2013, 05:04:28 PM »
My uncle has been buying from them from a while and he loves them....

He was so surprised himself and felt a little bad for recommending them lol.

I just pulled up the confirmation email and I said wrong, I actually placed the order on Sept 11th!

They're telling me they are 3 months behind on shipments but I just cannot believe that.

As far as face to face purchases, I agree, but there isn't a coin shop in town and I'm an hour outside of Charlotte. An hour doesn't seem like much now.

Offline Mr. Bill

• Like a hot cocoa mojito
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • Trained Attack Sheepdog/Troll hunter
    • Website Maintenance and Online Presence Management by Mr. Bill
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2013, 05:47:25 PM »
I just pulled up the confirmation email and I said wrong, I actually placed the order on Sept 11th!

Looking at prices now vs Sept 11th, you might be better off getting your money back (if they'll honor that promise) and trying again with a different dealer.

Offline fred.greek

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2013, 06:30:09 PM »
Recently dealt with apmex, order prompt, found a non-silver quarter, made an online comment & the next day got an email that replacement quarter would be sent.

Offline Perfesser

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2013, 06:42:27 PM »
Shortly after I started to raise a stink they shipped but I was pretty pissed by then. I can't really give you any advice for your situation.

Niccolum

« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2013, 06:58:40 PM »
Rayray, you said there are no coin shops in town but what about a "we buy gold" place? I actually get all my silver at such a local place. They buy coins and bullion at 5% under spot and sell at 5% over spot based entirely on weight. They can't melt the coins by law so they're usually anxious to offload the inventory when it comes in. If there s one in your area, go in person and talk to the owner and make a small purchase. See if the place feels right and such. That might be a workable alternative for you.

Offline Rayray250

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2013, 04:17:54 AM »
Rayray, you said there are no coin shops in town but what about a "we buy gold" place? I actually get all my silver at such a local place. They buy coins and bullion at 5% under spot and sell at 5% over spot based entirely on weight. They can't melt the coins by law so they're usually anxious to offload the inventory when it comes in. If there s one in your area, go in person and talk to the owner and make a small purchase. See if the place feels right and such. That might be a workable alternative for you.

Great point, I know of such a place.  I will go check it out once I get this resolved.  This has taken the luster off of buying for me for a while....no pun intended :)

Offline Perfesser

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2013, 02:09:01 PM »
The first bunch (500oz) I bought from NWT was a horrible experience. I've bought much more from other folks and they've been nothing but professional at every step.
I think very few operate like this bunch.

Offline Rayray250

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2013, 03:15:30 PM »
Talked to them today. Was told the order shipped on the 28th directly from a distributor and because it shipped directly from the distributor they could not provide a tracking #.

I said that that sounded like a load.  Seemed to me like an excuse to buy them more time instead of refunding my money.  She said if the date shipped on the package is after Dec 31st then I can refuse the package and once they receive the package back they'll cut me a check.  (To which I thought it might be twice as hard to get a refund so I may be backed into accepting the silver if I do get it)

She said she hoped to get a tracking # from her distributor this evening or tomorrow.

Her excuse for this whole thing is that demand is way up and that they didn't account for the demand.

Perfessor how long ago was your 500oz purchase because that's what I bought, or thought I bought :)

I think I'm still gonna call some Washington state BBB and other state business agencies and just complain about them being shady, I'm sure it will do nilch to rectify the deceitful business practices but it'll make me feel better. 

Offline Perfesser

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2013, 08:55:15 PM »
Silver was at an $18 spot at the time of purchase, then dropped to $17 or maybe high $16's. You can check historical charts for a closer date.
I thought I posted something at the time, I guess I was too pissed/embarrassed then.
I did post something a year ago.
http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=26875.msg341867#msg341867

If she said a tracking number by tomorrow then follow up and ask for it first thing tomorrow. Keep chasing that. Keep being the squeaky wheel.
They can't just burn you for it. That would be fraud. Legally they can make excuses and delay but you just keep chasing the bastards till they produce.

I figure they're like other shady characters, you make your order and pay them at $32 oz (or whatever). They stall as long as they think the price will keep going down and at the last minute they buy it at last weeks $29 oz and now they "got their backlog sorted out" and will ship.

Don't worry, when it's $50 oz all this crap won't mean a thing. Don't let these guys discourage you from buying more. Just go somewhere else.

« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 09:06:18 PM by Perfesser »

Offline Rayray250

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2013, 04:24:14 AM »
Your right brother.  Thanks for all the input.

Offline Rayray250

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2013, 04:22:41 PM »
Have a bit of good news. 

So I talked with a sales rep Wednesday, yesterday and today.  They continued each day to maintain the silver shipped last Friday (28th) direct from their distributor, but they could not provide a tracking number until Wednesday, then Thursday.  Finally when they couldn't get a tracking number today and said that the distributors employees might be on vacation this week, I said it looks like your lying to me. 

I kept my cool and said that I was going to look into legal action and call a few folks who may want to know about a business that practices like this.

5 minutes after I hung up, they call back and suddenly.......they got an email....that said the silver had not shipped yet.  Tah dahhhhhh.

So I finally have at least knowledge of what is going on.  I also got an email stating a refund check per my order number would be mailed in two business days.

I think what may have been happening is [snip :censored: snip]

I'm at least getting something back in hand.....hopefully :).

I also atleast have enough email trail that it would be an easy lawsuit should they do the same with the refund.

I'd highly caution anyone from purchasing from them as I would consider them at the best extremely incompetent and at worst straight up liars.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 04:41:04 PM by Mr. Bill »

Offline Mr. Bill

• Like a hot cocoa mojito
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • Trained Attack Sheepdog/Troll hunter
    • Website Maintenance and Online Presence Management by Mr. Bill
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2013, 04:44:00 PM »
Rayray, sorry about editing your post.  I think you've got a good guess about what they might have been doing, but without hard evidence it's just a guess, and could be considered libel if their lawyers wanted to get troublesome about it.

Offline Rayray250

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2013, 04:56:56 PM »
No problem I understand.  Thank you for the moderation  ;D

It is highly appreciated and not unnoticed.

Offline deakin

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2013, 02:06:40 PM »
I've done a lot of silver shopping trying to get a better deal, get rid of shipping, etc. and I always end up buying from http://www.silver-eagle-coins.com/. No shipping if it's over $100 and I get the coins fast. The per ounce price is higher but no hidden fees or shippings makes the competitive. They round prices to the nearest dollar so you need to buy when the prices favor you (wait for them to drop a dollar or buy before they raise it.
Anyway, they've always gotten my silver to me fast and with no issues.

Offline stayfrosty

• Prepper
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2013, 06:26:23 PM »
I had a bad experience with NWTM in 2008. It was my first silver purchase and it was most of my savings. It took about 2 months and I have not dealt with them since.

I buy a majority of my silver now from bulliondirect.com.  I like them because a) It's cheaper than ApMex. b) BD allows you to set a price and when the price matches someone's sell price, it automatically buys it.  c) They store your silver for you until you are ready for delivery. It saves a bunch on shipping if you are making small purchases. d) They gave me a $10,000 credit to start. That allows me to take advantage of price dips in between paychecks. e) Even though I have been late with payment a few times, they have never charged me any fees or sold my silver.

frosty

Offline oley454

• Prepper
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2013, 07:12:41 PM »
I've ordered from them twice and both times the shipment was delayed until the deadline date.  I will not order from them again because I'm pretty sure I figured out their game.  I now use apmex and some local coin shops.

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2013, 08:37:43 PM »
I came really close to ordering from NWTM a few years ago, but read some online horror stories, similar to the OP's, and decided against it. 

I've made several purchases with APMEX and have not had any mishaps, so far at least.  I pay the fee for using a CC, rather than check or wire, I just feel better having the recourse of reversing the charges if they to start screwing with me. 

Offline Rayray250

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2013, 04:30:26 PM »
I finally got it resolved.  Turned around and ordered a monster box from JM Bullion.  Wire Transferred the money one Friday, silver shipped the very next Monday.  They have been a great company to do business with so far,  I will continue stacking with them.

I've thought about using the CC option as well just because of the problem with NWTM, that would have given some course of action other than wait, then get a lawyer.