Author Topic: Got old windows?  (Read 5505 times)

Offline Ronnie53

• Prepper
Got old windows?
« on: January 01, 2013, 01:01:28 PM »
http://pinterest.com/laurabethlove/windows-upcycle-repurpose-recycle-reuse-diy/ 

Zowie but there are some seriously fabulous ideas in here.  I LOVE Pininterest.  TSP is in there too.  Lots of prepper stuff in Pinint.

Offline caverdude

• Survivalist Mentor
  • larrydgray.net
    • blog dot Larry D Gray dot net
Re: Got old windows?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2013, 04:04:56 PM »
very nice but where does one get recycled windows? I mean unless you are a remodeler.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2013, 05:12:15 PM »
very nice but where does one get recycled windows? I mean unless you are a remodeler.

All over the place here. I have 20of them in my backyard waiting to be put into my house, my studio and my greenhouse.

Cedar

Offline FrugalFannie

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2013, 05:33:54 PM »

Craigslist Free section

Offline chickchoc

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2013, 08:28:14 PM »
I cruise the curbs just before heavy trash pickup day.  Our city has a 4-week cycle, so each week there is a new section to cruise. 

BTW, I also have a house full of antique furniture that I acquired in this way.  Minor repair/refinishing is pretty easy compared to removing/installing windows in a home.

Offline Nicodemus

• HooHa Man! AKA Docs Whipping Boy
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Wake up and smell the cat food n your bank account
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2013, 09:43:16 PM »
If I could find enough windows of a similar type to build something like one of those victorian looking greenhouses, the family would let me do it.

Offline Brian

• Fledgling Prepper
  • BubbaTanicals.com - Good soap. No Crap.
    • BubbaTanicals - Good Soap.  No Crap
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2013, 01:50:37 PM »
We got some old storm windows off of craigs list and used them as glazing on some solar heaters.   This is a video of one we did as a proof of concept.  Unfortunately don't have a fireplace, but it still saves us a chunk on our heating.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8ENu6fUMz4

My plan was this year to make some larger ones (4x8), but I haven't yet had the time. :P

-Brian

Offline ChrisFox

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2013, 03:12:07 PM »
Every time I see a crew start on a house, I always ask them if I can take any of the materials they are about to rip out. Even if they don't, I give them my card and tell them if they are on a job in the future give me a call and I'll come running for anything that I can use.

Offline rmoeggy

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
    • Learning Self Reliance
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2013, 09:17:57 AM »
I went to a commercial glass and mirror store and scored 4 - 3'x8' glass doors. They have at least a dozen more doors that they are removing the hardware and then I can go get them. There are enough for me to build an entire greenhouse!

Bonnieblue2A

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2013, 03:44:39 PM »
I saved the old wood double hung windows (1940's era single pane) from the recent homestead remodel. There are approx. 30-40 sashes. Plans are to use them in a variety of projects including as lids for cold frames, chicken house windows, and perhaps a greenhouse/garden shed or hunting blind.

Freecycle is another good place to pick-up old windows and other items.

Offline KellyAnn

• Survivalist Mentor
  • TSP Forum member
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2013, 03:51:37 PM »
You can buy cheap used windows at Habitat for Humanity's ReStore (if there's one in your area).
They won't be free, but they should be inexpensive.

Offline caverdude

• Survivalist Mentor
  • larrydgray.net
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2013, 07:48:34 PM »
I saved the old wood double hung windows (1940's era single pane) from the recent homestead remodel. There are approx. 30-40 sashes. Plans are to use them in a variety of projects including as lids for cold frames, chicken house windows, and perhaps a greenhouse/garden shed or hunting blind.

Freecycle is another good place to pick-up old windows and other items.

Freecycle?

Bonnieblue2A

Offline Darryl the Barrel

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2013, 06:39:13 AM »
- Steven Harris has a book, Sunshine to Dollars, that talks about how to get free windows.

- Jack also had a guest that built his own attached greenhouse for less than $100 (Maybe it was Harris, but my memory is bad). He got the glass by going to glass and window making companies and getting their rejects and extras. He said the key was being friendly and bring over pizza and beer whenever he went over there for a pickup (so not really free, but still cheap). I can't remember the show that was on.

- Habitat for Humanity runs Restore shops that have construction leftovers. I have gotten some cheap stuff there, but have never priced any windows.

Offline fishman1113

• Prepper
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2013, 02:52:39 PM »
Great ideas.  I may have some extra windows, once my mother goes through them for her crafts.  If anyone is close to Lancaster PA, I'll give them to you. Ill let you guys know.  She will go through the windows soon I hope. 

Offline SuperDuty

• Survivor
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2013, 03:01:13 PM »
Yep, Mrs. SuperDuty has all kinds of craft ideas for them.  She's brought several of them home, which translates into projects for me. 

The last one was to paint the glass with chalkboard paint.  Instant chalkboard for her sewing room. 

You can buy cheap used windows at Habitat for Humanity's ReStore (if there's one in your area).
They won't be free, but they should be inexpensive.

Offline Hurricane

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2013, 05:33:39 PM »
There are stores that will buy, or get for free, the stuff that comes out of re-models and tear-downs, and re-sell it. Sometimes as "enviromentally friendly". One near me runs lots of ads in Craigslist's Materials section.

Offline caverdude

• Survivalist Mentor
  • larrydgray.net
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2013, 08:46:03 PM »
I was looking at an old book showing how to do stained glass artwork. I was wondering if that could be applied somehow in green house making.