Author Topic: Herbal Remedies/Ointments and salves Jan.2013  (Read 1994 times)

Offline hilljen

• Prepper
Herbal Remedies/Ointments and salves Jan.2013
« on: January 01, 2013, 07:08:58 PM »
I know I want to make several different creams/salves/ointments/ I also want to use wild herbs or those I can grow myself at home.

As I am reading about the various herbs available in my area for my antibacterial preparation, numerous ones are said to have antibacterial properties. How do I determine which ones to use? I assume I can mix and match for the most part. How to determine which herbs work the best or synergistically together and which ones not so much?

Any great "getting started" books that you experts among us have used and would recommend for beginners? Are there certain things that should be done in certain seasons? For example, should I be collecting and drying wild rosehips or certain berries now for use in things later? Anything with lots of good stuff centered in the roots right now that wouldn't be as good to harvest after the above ground growth starts up again in the spring?

Inquiring minds want to know!!! ;D

Offline Frugal Upstate

• Dedicated Contributor
  • aka Jenn Fowler and Jenn @ Frugal Upstate ;)
    • Frugal Upstate
Re: Herbal Remedies/Ointments and salves Jan.2013
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2013, 07:19:36 AM »
I'm just starting my journey with herbal medicine--I've made tinctures and also herbal oils from several different local herbs (plantain, calendula, yarrow).  I intend to make the herbal oils into salves now that the holiday rush is over.  One book I have found very useful is "Medicinal Herbs-A Beginners Guide" by Rosemary Gladstar.  I recently did a review on my blog:

Book Review: Medicianl Herbs-A Beginners Guide: 33 Healing Herbs to Know, Grow and Use

Long story short if you don't want to check out the review-she covers how to make tinctures, oils, salves, infusions, decoctions etc, then she has a chapter on each herb with pictures describing it, a bit on how to grow it, how it can be used and giving some recipes.  I found it MUCH less "hippy" than some of her books from the 80's, and easier to digest than her "Herbal Recipes for Vibrant Health" which has a lot more recipes/formulas--but many of them require purchasing herbal ingredients that most folks won't be able to grow or wildcraft.

Another book I took out from the library and intend to purchase is An Illustrated Guide to 101 Medicinal Herbs: Their History, Use, Recommended Dosages, and Cautions

Offline hedgewitch

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2013, 08:28:45 AM »
collect above ground herb on or near the full moon and below ground roots around the dark moon, the sap/juice rises as the moon gets fuller and goes into the roots as the moon gets smaller....Culpeppers book on herbs is old but very good

Offline Stachys

• Prepper
  • Winter is coming.
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2013, 06:18:40 PM »
hilljen, I would recommend that you check out your local herbalist offerings to see what they are making and selling so that you get an idea of what local herbs to use and in what combination.
For books, I would highly recommend starting with these two:http://preview.tinyurl.com/ad35dzt & http://preview.tinyurl.com/bjcr6lr
They are two of my favorites and perfect for beginners.

Offline wildwm

• Prepper
  • Members Support Brigade
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2013, 09:56:32 AM »
I would recommend The Herbal Medicine-Maker's Handbook by James Green as a wonderful resource on making herbal meds.

The Way of Herbs and Back to Eden are both good resources for what works well together.  Any of Rosemary Gladstar's books are good as well.  The liniment in Back to Eden is great.  Use it regularly.