Author Topic: tomahawk or some type of machete  (Read 1693 times)

Offline joeandmich

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
tomahawk or some type of machete
« on: January 02, 2013, 10:00:08 AM »
So any thoughts on one of the following for survival including wood chopping, security and all around camp use?

Cold Steel trench awk
BudK M48 tomahawk
Cold Steel kopis machete
Cold Steel kukri machete

Anyone use any of these yet?

thanks,

Joe
Lookin' good and feelin' fine

Online endurance

• Dances With Newfies
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
Re: tomahawk or some type of machete
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2013, 10:37:11 AM »
Where do you live?  What type of material are you cutting or splitting?

Personally, I'd rather have a medium sized hatchet for the materials I have around my home than any machete or tomahawk.
"There are things that you don't question when your home always smells like baking bread."  From The Hunger Games

“No nation could preserve its freedom in the midst of continual warfare.”   James Madison

Offline rikkrack

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Permaculture Entrepreneur
    • Wolf-Beach Farms
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2013, 11:42:38 AM »
was wondering the same thing.
www.wolfbeachfarms.com

Co-Founder and Educator at www.midwestsustainable.org

Aquaponics/Permaculture Entrepreneur

"You have a moral obligation to screw the government every chance you can." G-pa Wolf

Offline chezrad

• Survivor
    • Brush n Soap n Blade
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2013, 11:18:06 PM »
Tomahawk, because you can take the blade off the handle and use it. Makes a more versatile tool in my opinion. Machetes hurt my hand after a while.

My 2 cents worth anyway.   

Offline The Professor

• Tactical Skittle Assassin
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • All we have to do is create another universe
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2013, 12:55:18 AM »
As Endurance queried. . .it's going to depend a lot on where you expect to operate and what you want to do with it.

Personally, I'm really digging my Cold Steel Trailhawk.  So much so, that I'm considering replacing my Gransfors Scandinavian Forest Axes in my General and Long Range Kits with it.

My reasoning is that I doubt that I'll need the extra weight because I won't be building comparatively large shelters, but it gives me  a better way to chop and split wood than just batoning with my larger knife.

However, were I in a highly vegetated area (swampland, jungle, etc.), then a machete does a much better job of breaking trail.

The Professor
On "The List" since 1994.  Isn't it about time YOU got on The List?

Yeah, that's right. . ."Professor EMERITUS!"  Now, pardon me while I show up "late" for. . .uh. . .work.

Offline American freak

• Prepper
  • God, Family, The Republic.
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2013, 01:30:06 AM »
Here are some recent experiences of my own. I have been clearing land recently in south east Texas. When we started out we didn't have a tractor at the time so everything was done by hand. I bought a mechete from academy for around $25. It was the Gerber Gator. It has been extremely useful. However, after a week of rigorous use cutting vines, small tree limbs and everything in between, it now has many nicks in the edge and is SUPER dull. Don't think it will last too much longer. Plus, swinging that thing all day made my hand hurt. I think for extended survival purposes a good knife and a hatchet are the way to go. I also recently was given a SOG speedhawk for Christmas and plan to put it to good use soon. It feels like it is solid and of good quality.
In Liberty

Offline joeandmich

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2013, 07:50:01 AM »
What are your thoughts about the M-Tech Tactical Axe?

Online endurance

• Dances With Newfies
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2013, 10:59:26 AM »
I don't know what you'd ever use something like that for, but if you want to buy something, just buy it.  If you're looking for advice, it might be helpful to have additional information.

Personally, I've always preferred a solid 3.5 pound single bit axe for general utility.  It can split, it can cut, it can pound in wedges while sawing and while not as well balanced as a double bit for cutting, the utility of the hammer side of things seems a worth while trade off.

I like The Professor's Trail Hawk because it still has a hammer side for utility, but it seems a bit light for the heavier camp work.  To be fair, with the right length handle it might actually be put to the task of doing more than its weight in work.
"There are things that you don't question when your home always smells like baking bread."  From The Hunger Games

“No nation could preserve its freedom in the midst of continual warfare.”   James Madison

Offline joeandmich

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2013, 12:20:07 PM »
Well this is a "Survivor Podcast" forum so I put 2 and 2 together and thought I would ask.

Offline joeinwv

• The Bee Whisperer
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2013, 06:33:15 PM »
I have a trail hawk, fun to throw, really light and small - but I can chop way faster with a machete, split better with a baton / knife, etc.

Honestly, for my AO the best small wood tool is a saw.

Offline bigjim71

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2013, 01:09:57 AM »
I have both a CS Riflemans Tomohawk, and a CS Kuhkri Machete. I use them both to chop and clear brush and small trees. I like the edge on the machete its light and the rubberized handle is very comfortable to use, but I do like the heft of the Riflemans hawk it splits kindling/small trees easier. I like the hammer I even use it around the house for hammering stuff. If I had to carry only one .... hiking or bugging out I would probably take the Hawk.... I joke and say its genetic being part Ute and part Scotch what else would I want but a large Tomahawk/ small battle axe.
Fear is the mind Killer.

Offline trekker111

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2013, 04:12:22 AM »
For chopping woody materials,  and general camp use a regular hatchet, a forged frontier style tomahawk. Machetes are made for vegetation. The tomahawks you listed are designed for fighting and/or throwing, and lack a lot of utility for other things.

I have a cold steel kukri machete and was not impressed. I have a meyerco machete, and the bear grylls parang, both of which are better than the cold steel kukri machete. An actual kukri also beats the cs kukri machete.

Offline sboyle1

• Prepper
  • Emergency Management Analyst
    • Visit me on Linkedin!
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2013, 03:00:28 PM »
I personally pack a SOG Fusion when I am out and about in the wild. Personally I think a machete has its merits but my hawk feels like a more versatile tool.
The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come. When in a state of security he does not forget the possibility of ruin. When all is orderly, he does not forget that disorder may come. Thus his person is not endangered, and his States and all their clans are preserved.
Confucius (551 BC - 479 BC)

Offline Perfesser

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2013, 03:54:45 PM »
Different jobs, different tools.
Splitting, you have to have an axe. Cutting logs is best with a saw. Clearing brush, breaking trail - machete.
Tomahawk? ..........just a toy...........
"The best weapon you have is between your ears"

Offline bigjim71

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2013, 12:06:35 AM »
Different jobs, different tools.
Splitting, you have to have an axe. Cutting logs is best with a saw. Clearing brush, breaking trail - machete.
Tomahawk? ..........just a toy...........

I don't think that a Tomohawk is necesarily just a toy. I use mine for alot of chores. It is more useful than a shorter hatchet. If you have one with a hammer on the end, you can use it to drive nails, tent paigs, stakes... etc....
Fear is the mind Killer.

Offline joeandmich

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2013, 12:08:52 PM »
How about the Woodsman Pal?

Offline joeinwv

• The Bee Whisperer
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2013, 06:32:20 PM »
A really good machete makes a lot of difference over a cheap one. I've had several China versions, none were sharp or had good handles.

The Condor Golok gets good reviews.

Offline LibertyBelle

• Munches with goats...
  • Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2013, 09:15:22 PM »
So any thoughts on one of the following for survival including wood chopping, security and all around camp use?

Cold Steel trench awk
BudK M48 tomahawk
Cold Steel kopis machete
Cold Steel kukri machete

Anyone use any of these yet?

thanks,

Joe

DH absolutely loves his San Mai III Gurkha Kukri 
http://www.coldsteel.com/Product/35ATCJ/SAN_MAI_III_GURKHA_KUKRI.aspx
...and little middle son (just turned 16) has an M48 Tomahawk that he really likes. 
While the gurkha has no trouble chopping ice on the pond (or anything else for that matter), I prefer the M48 hawk for that job.  The gurkha is awesome for removing branches, but I must confess that I'm actually a bit afraid of it (watch the video at the above link to see the damage it can do to a hog with just one swing/thrust), so if your swing is miscalculated...   

Offline kid_couteau

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2013, 03:34:14 PM »
Hi
I live in Northern Maine and what I am finding is best for here is the following

Parang style knife for the harder woods for general work

A light axe for the real work

Knife of your choice for whats left over.

I had the Cold Steel trail hawk and it is nice but I prefer a regular hatchet over it.

Kid

Offline Sprunch

• Prepper
  • Has the gear, learning the skills
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2013, 04:26:56 PM »
l'll play...have a number of hack, chop and slash toys. l agree with the above comments that each has a purpose.
l have the following:
Cold Steel-
Two Handed Latin Machete
2 Kukri Machete
Heavy Machete

SOG Tactical Tomahawk

A Classic Axe

A Maul

Each of these are task specific and a whole lot of fun!