Author Topic: Armadillo problem  (Read 3589 times)

Offline jlknauff

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
    • How To Survive It
Armadillo problem
« on: January 02, 2013, 10:01:26 AM »
I'm not sure if this is the right category for this, so feel free to move it.

I have what I believe to be an armadillo that keeps tearing up both my yard and my garden. I know they primarily eat grubs, but don't know how to trap the damn thing. Any ideas?

Offline OKCPrepper

• Survivor
Re: Armadillo problem
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2013, 02:46:45 AM »
If you can find the route the Armadillo travels to get to your garden, take a couple of long 2x4's and lay them on the ground, tall side up. Lay them in a V shape leading down towards a live trap. This will funnel the animal into the trap. We have done this successfully several times. Have a 22 on hand to shoot him before you empty the trap. Hit them in the back of the neck, towards the head. Good luck.

Offline flippydidit

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Keep 'em shooting!
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2013, 09:10:13 AM »
I've had excellent luck with my vehicle, although that was usually in an unintentional slaying.  I haven't personally had to intentionally trap/kill one.  The only reference I've come across was in the book Alas, Babylon.  The character has a Dachsund which instinctively goes after an armadillo in its' burrow.  The armadillo and dog make quite a ruckus underground, and the critter quickly emerges.  The character is there to dispatch said varmint.  Don't know how helpful this is.

On a possibly related note, there is a......"method".....for dealing with underground varmints.  I've only heard of it being used for moles/voles.  The old farmer I knew told me he would stick a hose into their tunnels.  That hose was hooked to his acetylene tank.  He would turn it on, and since acetylene is heavier than air, it would travel through the tunnels and displace any air.  After he was satisfied that enough acetylene had filled the catacombs, he would remove the tank and drop his lit cigarette into the hole.  He stated that there was a muffled BOOM, and the ground would raise and sink about 4 inches.  He told me that it never failed to end his critter problem.

That being said, I don't know that is the safest "method".  I'd be quite worried about root fires, proximity to gas lines, etc.  He may have also been pulling my leg.  Just thought that any suggestions might help you in this situation.
Nate
Military/civilian gunsmith

"One of these centuries, the brutes, private or public, who believe that they can rule their betters by force, will learn the lesson of what happens when brute force encounters mind and force."
— Ragnar Danneskjöld, from Atlas Shrugged (Ayn Rand)

Offline jlknauff

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
    • How To Survive It
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2013, 09:58:36 AM »
LOL! I don't know where he lives, but I know how the little bastard gets in. He's dug two holes under my fence. I suppose a spiked dead fall should work nicely.

Did you guys know they carry the same bacteria that causes leprosy? Nasty!

Offline Doug

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2013, 10:22:54 AM »
I don't think a stick dead fall will be heavy enough. I've trapped them by using a board to funnel them into a trap. Here's what an armadillo trap looks like if you build it yourself http://www.armadillotrap.com/

But by far they way I've dealt with them is to shoot them or have a dog that will kill them. Armadillos (and other animals) seem to have a set routine. It's as if they're punching a time clock. Chances are it's coming into your yard at the same time each night. You just have to figure out when that is if you plan to shoot it.
"If you get to thinkin' you're a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else's dog around."

Offline jlknauff

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
    • How To Survive It
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2013, 10:40:33 AM »
The rule of thumb for weight is 4:1 - add the spikes and it's over. Plus, I can't shoot it because I live in the 'burbs.

Offline nkawtg

• Dedicated Contributor
  • NKAWTG
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2013, 10:49:12 AM »
ingredients:
1 1/4 cup dry white wine
1/2 cup oil
2 cloves garlic, crushed (optional)
1/4 cup butter
salt and pepper, to taste
1/2 teaspoon thyme
1/2 teaspoon rosemary
1 medium onion, sliced thin
1 armadillo, cleaned and cut into serving pieces
1 1/4 cup light cream
1 tablespoon brown mustard
1 tablespoon cornstarch

directions:
Mix all ingredients of marinade and add armadillo. Marinate about 8 hours, turning meat occasionally.

Remove armadillo and reserve marinade. Melt butter in deep skillet and brown armadillo pieces.

Pour in marinade and bring to a boil. Stir in seasoning, cover and simmer until tender (about 1 to 1 1/4 hours.) Remove skillet from the fire and place armadillo pieces on a warmed platter.

Mix mustard and cornstarch, then mix in cream. Return skillet to low heat and stir in this mixture a little at a time. Stir sauce until hot, but not boiling, and thickened. Pour sauce over armadillo. Serve with steamed rice.
Do Not Meddle in the Affairs of Dragons...For You are Crunchy and Taste Good With Ketchup.

Offline Doug

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2013, 11:01:10 AM »
The rule of thumb for weight is 4:1 - add the spikes and it's over. Plus, I can't shoot it because I live in the 'burbs.

Dead falls are also illegal except for survival needs. Do you have a pellet gun? Not much noise with those and they'll do the job. Other than that I'd go with a live trap. Bait with beacon. 
"If you get to thinkin' you're a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else's dog around."

Offline CheshireCat

• Prepper
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2013, 02:59:04 PM »
The live catch/Have-a-Heart(TM) type traps are legal most places.  The 'funnel' idea with the run is a good suggestion if you can't figure out bait that works, but maybe some meal worms in a Tupperware bowl?

Relocation is probably the best option, since it sounds like local ordinance rules out the quick dispatch option.  That said, I did know of someone who had-no-heart and would just dunk the Have-a-Heart into a basin of water.  While I really don't like to endorse doing so, you do what you have to do sometimes. 

It always annoys me that they allow exterminators to use some pretty horrible and indiscriminate poisons to kill pest animals, but at the same time will arrest or fine you for humanely, selectively, and discretely shooting the same creature.  Then, God forbid you want to make use of it after you kill it, because that really makes you a menace to society. 

-Ben
« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 03:17:12 PM by CheshireCat »

Offline nelson96

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2013, 04:27:10 PM »
Did you guys know they carry the same bacteria that causes leprosy? Nasty!

96% of humans are imune, would hate to be the other 4%.
“There are few things more pathetic than those who have lost their curiosity and sense of adventure, and who no longer care to learn.”
 ~ Gordon B. Hinckley

One hundred thousand generations of people lived and ate as hunter-gatherers, and only two generations have grown up on highly processed fast foods. . .  It's not too late

Offline blademan

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Ask the next question
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2013, 11:50:54 PM »
Yes, and hippos carry anthrax. Luckily I don't have any hippos in my area. Dangerous alive and dead. I'm not sure the pellet gun will do it humanely, I haven't tried so I don't know. There are some that absolutely would but they are expensive, complicated. Maybe with a head shot, a lower power air rifle would do it.
   If you drive your car around your garden all day, I'm sure he will eventually waddle under your tire.
   Update, I just looked up armadillo and saw a skeleton, and I don't think a pellet gun shot of the larger bore type would bother one a whole lot. And it probably wouldn't be humane. Unless you can flip it over once you trap it.   A good dog may be the best answer. In a run around your garden. But I wish you well and hope you solve your problem.
Man's mind is his basic tool of survival.
Fear is the mind killer.

Two rules for a happy life:
1. Never sling shit at an armed man.
2. Never stand next to someone who is slinging shit at an armed man.

EOTS

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2013, 06:41:21 AM »
I have had luck in the past "running" them off with blood meal. I read they hate it, spread some around, and apparently.. that one did, at least.

And I have one rototilling my garden for me these last couple night. Problem is, there are still cabbages in there. I'll be spreading some blood meal in that bed today, and hopefully, it'll work again.

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Geese Smuggling Moonbat
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • There are no mistakes, just Learning Experiences
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2013, 09:51:15 AM »
I have had luck in the past "running" them off with blood meal. I read they hate it, spread some around, and apparently.. that one did, at least.

And I have one rototilling my garden for me these last couple night. Problem is, there are still cabbages in there. I'll be spreading some blood meal in that bed today, and hopefully, it'll work again.

Eots - is that a Sandra Boyton book cover as your avatar?  (I have a 3&6 year old :P)
"Preparedness, when properly pursued, is a way of life, not a sudden, spectacular program" - Spencer W. Kimball
"Life isn't about trying to survive the storm; but about learning to dance in the rain" - unknown
Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity

Prepping makes even a hurricane just an inconvenience.

Offline jlknauff

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
    • How To Survive It
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2013, 10:05:09 AM »
Pellet gun in out of the question; my .177 Crossman pump sometimes fails to drop squirrels (sometimes due to shooter error, but not always).

Trapping legalities; not too worried. It will all take place behind an 8' fence.

The blood meal thing sounds like an idea, but I'd prefer a more permanent solution.

I still think I'll go with a dead fall. There are two holes dug under my fence, so I know his route.

Offline Cedar

• Autarkist Queen
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2013, 10:33:32 AM »
I've only heard of it being used for moles/voles.  The old farmer I knew told me he would stick a hose into their tunnels.  That hose was hooked to his acetylene tank.  He would turn it on, and since acetylene is heavier than air, it would travel through the tunnels and displace any air.  After he was satisfied that enough acetylene had filled the catacombs, he would remove the tank and drop his lit cigarette into the hole.  He stated that there was a muffled BOOM, and the ground would raise and sink about 4 inches.  He told me that it never failed to end his critter problem.

Yes. I had the BRIGHT idea of doing this, because we were burning fencelines with a tiger torch and decided we were tired of moles.. although it might have been my ex.. but I was co-conspirator on this.... DON'T DO IT!!!!!! Especially if you are near buildings, gardens, dry grass, firewood, anything which might possibly be flamable. Not to mention vehicles, including lawnmowers and rototillers.  :-[

IF you try it, don't be surprised if you end up listed somewhere on the Darwin Awards dot com site.

Cedar
"Do not breathe simply to exist."

EOTS

« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2013, 11:29:00 AM »
Eots - is that a Sandra Boyton book cover as your avatar?  (I have a 3&6 year old :P)

Yes. It's the hippo from "Not the Hippopotamus." We're getting well past that stage (our youngest just turned 6), but I was selecting some books for my niece (about to have her first b-day), AND I was thinking about 13 Skills....and I just couldn't get the text of the book out of my head. "Hey! Come join the lot of us!" :D

So, she's my avatar, here and FB, for a while.

Offline nelson96

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2013, 04:14:38 PM »
Yes. I had the BRIGHT idea of doing this, because we were burning fencelines with a tiger torch and decided we were tired of moles.. although it might have been my ex.. but I was co-conspirator on this.... DON'T DO IT!!!!!! Especially if you are near buildings, gardens, dry grass, firewood, anything which might possibly be flamable. Not to mention vehicles, including lawnmowers and rototillers.  :-[

IF you try it, don't be surprised if you end up listed somewhere on the Darwin Awards dot com site.

Cedar

Actually, this process has been refined to work very well and somewhat safely (as long as you have half a brain).  They are very popular for farmers and golf course grounds keepers.  There are many company's that make these devices, but here is one as an example . . . Rodenator.

YouTube Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aH0IOXC87PU&list=UUlSrtYQYGO_r3UO5P9b4iVQ&index=4

“There are few things more pathetic than those who have lost their curiosity and sense of adventure, and who no longer care to learn.”
 ~ Gordon B. Hinckley

One hundred thousand generations of people lived and ate as hunter-gatherers, and only two generations have grown up on highly processed fast foods. . .  It's not too late

Offline cheryl1

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2013, 07:15:35 PM »
If you know his path, what about a neck snare or a foothold trap? Unless you are just really wanting to set up a deadfall for the fun of it.
I've seen the village and I don't want it raising my children.

Offline fuzzy

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2013, 07:39:40 PM »
I'm a little hesitant about putting this out there, as was the County Agent that told me about it.

He said to bait a stout fish hook on a strong line securely tied to something that would hold those strong little critters.  Bait hook with worms or grubs.

After the thing is silently "caught," you can dispatch him anyway you want.  I never tried it so don't know if it works as well as the guy claimed.

If I have to pay another $465 bill on getting the front end of my tractor fixed again because of their holes, I may be willing to try it!

Offline Cedar

• Autarkist Queen
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2013, 10:11:36 PM »
Actually, this process has been refined to work very well and somewhat safely (as long as you have half a brain).

Apparently we didn't that day. It turned out pretty exciting actually.

Cedar
"Do not breathe simply to exist."

Offline nelson96

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2013, 11:38:51 PM »
Apparently we didn't that day. It turned out pretty exciting actually.

LOL . . .  I didn't mean you  :D

It sounds like the equipment you were using wasn't set up to do it safely, but now you know ;)
 ~ Gordon B. Hinckley

Offline jlknauff

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
    • How To Survive It
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2013, 02:14:12 PM »
If you know his path, what about a neck snare or a foothold trap? Unless you are just really wanting to set up a deadfall for the fun of it.

He said to bait a stout fish hook on a strong line securely tied to something that would hold those strong little critters.  Bait hook with worms or grubs.

After the thing is silently "caught," you can dispatch him anyway you want.  I never tried it so don't know if it works as well as the guy claimed.

Both great ideas! I'll try the snare first...the hook if that doesn't work.

Offline OKCPrepper

• Survivor
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2013, 02:32:55 AM »
On a possibly related note, there is a......"method".....for dealing with underground varmints.  I've only heard of it being used for moles/voles.  The old farmer I knew told me he would stick a hose into their tunnels.  That hose was hooked to his acetylene tank.  He would turn it on, and since acetylene is heavier than air, it would travel through the tunnels and displace any air.  After he was satisfied that enough acetylene had filled the catacombs, he would remove the tank and drop his lit cigarette into the hole.  He stated that there was a muffled BOOM, and the ground would raise and sink about 4 inches.  He told me that it never failed to end his critter problem.

I have used a somewhat similar technique, but using Propane rather than Acetylene. It is not necessary to light the gas.

We had a big problem with rodents in the farm garden. Moles, ground hogs, what ever they were. We took a gas grill size propane bottle, connected a hose to it with a gas valve at the end. One the end of the valve was a long pipe, tube. Use a piece of steel rod to penetrate through the soil, once you feel it hit the tunnel, pull the rod out and stick in the gas tube. Turn on the gas and let it run for several minutes. Pull the tube out and stomp down the dirt to seal off the gas. No need to light the gas and risk any damage. We have very good success with this technique.

Offline nelson96

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2013, 08:23:36 AM »
I have used a somewhat similar technique, but using Propane rather than Acetylene. It is not necessary to light the gas.

We had a big problem with rodents in the farm garden. Moles, ground hogs, what ever they were. We took a gas grill size propane bottle, connected a hose to it with a gas valve at the end. One the end of the valve was a long pipe, tube. Use a piece of steel rod to penetrate through the soil, once you feel it hit the tunnel, pull the rod out and stick in the gas tube. Turn on the gas and let it run for several minutes. Pull the tube out and stomp down the dirt to seal off the gas. No need to light the gas and risk any damage. We have very good success with this technique.

Then I would suggest using a much safer gas (one that is not flammable).  Carbon dioxide would be a very good choice.  It is a heavy blanket gas and will displace oxygen very well.
 ~ Gordon B. Hinckley

Offline flippydidit

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Keep 'em shooting!
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2013, 08:25:44 AM »
Then I would suggest using a much safer gas (one that is not flammable).  Carbon dioxide would be a very good choice.  It is a heavy blanket gas and will displace oxygen very well.

I suppose if it came down to it, you could run your automobile exhaust down into the tunnels....
Nate
Military/civilian gunsmith

"One of these centuries, the brutes, private or public, who believe that they can rule their betters by force, will learn the lesson of what happens when brute force encounters mind and force."
— Ragnar Danneskjöld, from Atlas Shrugged (Ayn Rand)

Offline nelson96

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2013, 08:31:14 AM »
I suppose if it came down to it, you could run your automobile exhaust down into the tunnels....

If your Carl Spackler's brother  ;D
 ~ Gordon B. Hinckley

Offline Freebirde

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2013, 07:26:20 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iinxXoot724

I couldn't help myself!  ;D
With all the new and different mistakes out there waiting to be made, why keep repeating the same ones?

http://www.extension.org/

I just don't let preconceptions get in the way of doing what needs to be done.

Si hortum in bibliotheca habes, nihil deerit
If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.
Marcus Tullius Cicero

Offline OKCPrepper

• Survivor
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2013, 02:02:28 AM »

Agreed, there are several kinds of gases that could be used. CO2 is not found in the average home. Argon would work too, but same problem there. Hooking up a hose to run your cars tail pipe into a mole hole is possible, but the back pressure on the engine would not do it any good and would quickly choke off the engine. Propane is something most people have sitting in their back yard gas grill and is easy to store long term. Wouldn't cost but a few dollars to rig up a hose and pipe.

Offline blademan

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Ask the next question
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2013, 02:56:22 PM »
Easy source of co2, rent a tank from a restaraunt supply, if possible. Even easier, find a dry ice supplier in your area. Get a chest full of pieces you can handle with your hands or use a hammer and a screwdriver to break it up. Using gloves and eye protection. Pretty heavy waterproof winter gloves. Then toss the ice into the hole and shove it back with a broom handle. Put a whole lot into the hole and then seal it off with dirt really well. This may or may not work. I think it stands a pretty good chance as the dry ice will sublimate into co2 gas. Should displace the O2 and kill the critter. It should just drift off to dream land. I would use a bunch of dry ice, just to be sure you get enough gas volume to adjust for seepage. Just thought this may help. Its not flamable in anyway, but you have to use thick gloves as the dry ice will "burn" your skin basically instant frostbite. Don't mess up. Use eye protection if you have to break it up. Be careful. Hope this helps.
Man's mind is his basic tool of survival.
Fear is the mind killer.

Two rules for a happy life:
1. Never sling shit at an armed man.
2. Never stand next to someone who is slinging shit at an armed man.

Offline Doug

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2013, 10:25:45 PM »
Use ammonia and weed blower to force the fumes down into the hole. Chances are he won't be there, though. Armadillos dig more and than one hole for escape.