Author Topic: Winter projects for when its nasty outside..  (Read 3053 times)

Offline SteveandTracyinKY

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Survival Chef
    • The Hen House
Winter projects for when its nasty outside..
« on: January 02, 2013, 11:38:33 PM »
I am looking to get together a list of projects related to the outdoors-men that can be done in home when the weather is just too nasty to be outside.

Some things I have come up with is making walking sticks, fly tying, and of course reorganizing you packs. Any ideas floating around out there before this winter kills me.
SwagBucks This program will let you get Amazon gift cards free, just for using their search engine. I paid for my X-mas with it!

"The Hen House"

Offline American freak

• Prepper
  • God, Family, The Republic.
Re: Winter projects for when its nasty outside..
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2013, 01:43:57 AM »
You could move somewhere warmer. Just kidding. I think maybe this would be a great time to learn about HAM radio, practice simple trap building, or reading up on any number of things. Good luck
In Liberty

Offline Samuel Fairlane

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2013, 01:54:45 AM »
I feel you, I got cabin fever. I'm on nightshift at the moment. I think an attached garage is on my to do list for this summer.

Offline bartsdad

• Scrooge McDuck
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • We're Vikings, we have stubbornness issues.
    • SPAMMY Link
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2013, 02:01:15 AM »
Knots
Sharpening all tools. Knives, axes, chainsaw.....
Cooking. It's easier to learn to cook in the kitchen than over a fire. Then translate the skill when the weather permits.
First aid.

Fire starting. The wood stove or fire place are great opportunities to start a fire with simpler means.

Research. Reading and Youtube.

Animal calls. If you are a hunter and use calls, such as duck, elk or turkey, now is the time  to be practicing.

Edible plant research. Figure out what is available in your area and build a note book of pics and uses.

Hope this helps.
Making the best of the DASH.

Offline GodFearingMan

• Prepper
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2013, 03:55:09 AM »
I have got the same problem, WA can be pretty miserable in the winter.  I decided to pick up leather working, I am starting to make custom sheaths for all my knives and other tools.  Passes the time well.

Offline gusty1

• Prepper
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2013, 07:43:45 AM »
Well I plan to get some reading done, plan my garden for this up coming season, plan out my projects for the next few months, update my social networking, lots of research and study to work on my 13 skills over the course of this cold New York winter.

Offline idelphic

• I Zgjuari I Dynjasë
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Theoretical Conceptualist - Avatar by Ada
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2013, 08:28:38 AM »
Agree with bartsdad - I have about 600' of Paracord now (Christmas gift) so I have some  organization to do with them so they are easier to manage then in the coil off packages they they are in. http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=2301.msg449447#msg449447 (As seen here)

There is also the dry canning of stores - making jerky (about to start my third 1# batch) and more.  My winter goal right now is to try to improve my fitness level. But that is minor.  Got some storage projects I'm going to work on, so that will need the little chop saw.  And building my document storage .
« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 12:50:46 PM by Archer »
In some cultures, I'm considered Normal.
Has no life - lives on TSP-F

I am not inflatable, so stop trying to blow me up. - Goatdog

Friend: "if anyone can make it work its you bro." Me: "Yea,..Pass the duct tape."

Offline trekker111

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2013, 08:29:28 AM »
Ghillie suit construction, maybe not for everyone, but i am a swat sniper, and they work well for hunting as well, especially predators.

Offline jm_sol

• Prepper
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2013, 11:49:58 AM »
I agree with the cooking suggestion.  Nasty weather is a great time to heat up the house with a pressure canner. Perhaps canning the harvested game from better weather days.  Dehydrating and jerky making. Reading. DH is cleaning and re blueing the guns and reloading.. I'm quilting and learning to knit warm socks. Reading 299 days series.  Plotting and planning spring garden.

Offline Mountain State Prepper

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Proudly owned by a yellow lab!
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2013, 12:19:00 PM »

This reminded me of a recent podcast...

http://www.thesurvivalpodcast.com/episode-1014-hand-tools-and-homestead-gear

Use the winter downtime to do tool maintainence and such.
--Montani Semper Liberi

Offline endurance

• Dances With Newfies
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2013, 12:25:29 PM »
My big project has been organizing.  A couple years back I'd bought a dozen door blanks from the Habitat For Humanity resale store to make into shelving.  I finished the first project in the winter of 2011, but last week I finally had the time to do another big unit.  I built some additional closet space, gained more floor space and created new space for four very large rubbermaid tubs.  That gives me an out of the way place to store seasonal clothes, excess camping gear, and other infrequently accessed stuff.

I've also been organizing and inventorying a lot of camping, hiking, hunting, and survival items.  That's led to picking up more of the clear plastic totes from Costco so I can see what's in each box.  Not as voluminous as the rubbermaid tubs, but great for helping locate frequently accessed stuff.

I also have a couple plumbing projects on the agenda.  I have a goal of getting a 90psi faucet in the back of the house so I can run the rooftop sprinklers off of it and get better coverage than the pressure regulated 40psi faucet there currently.  It would also be nice for the garden, allowing me to run more zones at the same time, thus cutting my watering time from about two hours to about 30 minutes (I used a hose to connect it last year at one point and was blown away at how much more efficient it was).  Eventually I'd like to re-heat tape the incoming water line since the existing heat tape is now longer than it needs to be, and thus, is wasting energy heating pipe that's already in warm space.  It's one of those projects that's been in the back of my mind for a couple years now, but it's hard to justify several hours of ladder work and some financial expense to save myself maybe $1-2/month, three to four months a year off my electric bill. ::)
"There are things that you don't question when your home always smells like baking bread."  From The Hunger Games

“No nation could preserve its freedom in the midst of continual warfare.”   James Madison

Offline archer

• every day is sosdd..
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2013, 12:51:18 PM »
learn and practice knot work.

From a friend: Benjamin Franklin once said that beer is proof that God loves us.
I'm of the opinion that Redheads are proof that, contrary to popular belief, Satan also loves us.
My small blog: http://journeytogreenerpastures.blogspot.com/

Offline Mountain State Prepper

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Proudly owned by a yellow lab!
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2013, 01:01:49 PM »

Also, paracord projects....something I'm interested in, did a cobra weave bracelet a couple months ago, then I gave up for no reason other than time.   I recently got a .22LR and would like to try to do a paracord sling.   Other ideas are wraps for knife handles, belts, watch bands, etc....

Check out the forum, there are a few paracord threads out there.
--Montani Semper Liberi

Offline PorcupineKate

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2013, 03:33:11 PM »
Read gardening books and plan this years garden.  ( I read gardening books every winter)

Go through seed collection and see what needs to be ordered and toss what is too old.

Order seeds, plants and trees now for best selection

Clean and prep seed starting space and equipment

Clean organize any inside space. (this is my major winter project)

Learn to grow and use sprouts

Buy a kit and make something: Knives, mushrooms, beer, etc....

Make your document package (might be easier when you are going through everything for taxes) I need to do this once I get things a little more organized....

Start on the 13 in 13 Skills challenge. :) I am learning to crochet a blanket for my first skill of the year.

Offline Samuel Fairlane

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2013, 11:54:21 PM »
I got to get on the growing sprouts band wagon. At my local tractor supply, A 40 bag of black sunflower seeds is only 25 $.

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Survival Chef
    • The Hen House
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2013, 02:08:39 AM »
We tried the sprout growing this without the kits, just using mason jars and what not. Found the how to online. It was not a pleasant experience. I would suggest the kit. Today was canning and workouts for us.
SwagBucks This program will let you get Amazon gift cards free, just for using their search engine. I paid for my X-mas with it!

"The Hen House"

Offline ttubravesrock

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Born to be an Alaskan
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2013, 02:07:36 PM »
Here in AK, I get a lot of reading done, spend more time on TSP forum, work with paracord, cook, and plan my spring projects. Right now I am planning a way to enclose my trailer in visqueen and heat it up so that I can fix the plumbing before next summer.

Offline ChrisFox

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2013, 02:38:41 PM »
For a long time it was too cold to go out to the shop to work on anything. I broke down and built one of those barrel wood stoves. Now as long as I have firewood I can get working on something. I can stand being stuck in the house for about 3 days, even when I have things to do. But I've got to get out and do some sort of work or I'll end up doing something crazy  ;D

Offline Saber19

• Prepper
  • Native Homesteader
    • Native Homesteading Blog
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2013, 11:18:35 PM »
Filling up this TB hard drive and perusing through the ebooks and forums to learn what I can.
Prepping the future garden.
Weapon maintenance.
Reorganization of stock.
Dealing with miscellaneous projects, such as reseasoning my cast iron skillet we retrieved.
"If pro is the opposite of con, what is the opposite of progress?" - Anonymous

Come check out my blog to read more about our work on the homestead and the journey to a more self sufficient nature! - http://nativehomesteading.blogspot.com/

Offline AaronInAK

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2013, 01:55:33 PM »
Sharpen fish hooks.
Rod and reel maintenance.
Check your nets.
Build lures: spinners, spoons, halibut rigs, spin-n-glo egg rigs, etc.
Reload ammo.
Dry fire drills.
Shoot pellet guns in the garage.
Plan your summer adventures. Summer is short.
Shop for better arctic gear. ;)

Offline ridge rover

• Survivor
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2013, 08:39:18 PM »
Get a saw blade and a few sticks to practice saw frame making. See how many simple designs you can come up with.

Practice primitive trapping. Get a few sticks and maybe an old fishing pole for a spring pole and practice trapping stuffed animals!
aka "Survival Sully"

Offline rustyknife

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2013, 10:47:47 PM »
Found an old file and a piece of elk horn, making my own knife. Built a hobo stove from an old can. Learning to sew for repairs on my gear.(didn't realize there were sooooo many kinds of stitches for different applications)
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it." Thomas Paine

"Survival is a form of rebellion, living is the punishment" Mr. Smith from the movie "The Way Back"

"Those who would give up freedom for a little security deserve neither" Ben Franklin

Ride hard as you can, rest when you die
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thouroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "man what a ride!" Author unknown

Offline bcksknr

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Child of the Cold War
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2013, 11:00:21 PM »
Since I do Fur Trade Era reenacting, I have alot of leather laying around. I needed a pair of mukluks for a winter camp at a local ski jump event. I started with felt bootliners and a pair of thick felt insoles. I "built" the mukluk out of elk hide and they turned out to be the best footwear I have made to date. Feet stayed nice and toasty (and dry). I need a new pair of buckskin pants, so that's on the list. I just discovered that another member of my astronomy club is a kindred spirit, and I helped him make a fur trade knife sheath and tomakawk cover. If it would get just a little bit warmer, I'd like to get out with my telescopes and do some observing, especially the constellation Orion. There should be a bright comet coming by in March and I'm looking forward to that. Otherwise, its just keep on plugging away at survival oriented activities.

Offline mrmnjewel

• Mr Cool under Pressure
  • Prepper
  • Prepper in Progress
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2013, 09:31:17 AM »
Trying to get the basement organized.
"Retired" EMT-P
General Class Ham Radio Operator
Blue Belt in Gracie Jiu-Jitsu

Offline Downeastwaves

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2013, 12:51:09 PM »
Check all the stuff in your first aid kit, maybe some of it needs replacing...

Offline bcksknr

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Child of the Cold War
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2013, 04:20:26 PM »
Change your smoke detector batteries and then test them. Check the batteries in your carbon monoxide detectors as well. Check the gauges on your fire extinguishers and if they are dry chemical types, turn them over and give them a good shake (helps prevent caking of the powder). If you burn wood, when was the last time you ran a brush down the flue? If you have kids or companion animals, do you have rescue stickers on their windows? Do you have working flashlights in multiple places around your house, such as by the furnace, fusebox (spares for that?), bedside table? Do your young children know their address and a phone number? Especially with children: are household chemicals and cleaning supplies secured? Do you have flammable materials inside the home or garage? Are firearms and reloading supplies secure? Good time of year to catch up on basic family safety stuff!

Offline ttubravesrock

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Born to be an Alaskan
« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2013, 04:49:20 PM »
It may be a bit messy (nothing a dust-buster can't handle), but I am considering attempting to try and make a bow over the next few weeks.

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Survival Chef
    • The Hen House
« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2013, 11:44:01 PM »
It may be a bit messy (nothing a dust-buster can't handle), but I am considering attempting to try and make a bow over the next few weeks.

That sounds like a good project. I think the wife would kill me though if I started sanding and whittling on wood everywhere...lol I need a bigger place before I start cool stuff like that.

I have literally went through every kit we have, and checked and replaced as needed. With the baby coming in about 20 weeks, I will have to go through them again to accommodate him.

"The Hen House"

Offline ttubravesrock

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Born to be an Alaskan
« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2013, 11:07:45 AM »
I need a bigger place before I start cool stuff like that.

My wife and I live in a one-room 16x20 cabin.

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Survival Chef
    • The Hen House
« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2013, 07:56:24 PM »
My wife and I live in a one-room 16x20 cabin.

:-X...lol

"The Hen House"