Photobucket

Author Topic: Possible use of new web site to help during storms?  (Read 467 times)

Offline GrizzlyAdams

• Prepper
  • Hiker and Prepper
Possible use of new web site to help during storms?
« on: January 03, 2013, 05:39:17 PM »
There is a free tool on the web called at www.crowdmap.com.  It allows you to create a free map and collect data pins on it.   People in a regional disaster (such as a storm) may be able to use this free web site on their smartphones to pin where working gas stations are located, or where they found gas cans, generators, etc.  Rather than hearing from a radio, or word of mouth, you could check this tool to see what resources are available.  May also be useful for the new ERT that is being formed.

GA

"There is a huge amount of freedom that comes to you when you take nothing personally."~Don Miguel Ruiz

You are the master.  The mind is your servant.  This is the correct relationship.~Mooji

"We sit together, the mountain and me, until only the mountain remains."~ Li Po

Offline Firewheelz

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Re: Possible use of new web site to help during storms?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2013, 09:12:49 PM »
Sounds like a good app but my question is who would want to tell others besides there friends where there gas resource is at? I mean yes people in a group or something would have a log in to see where other members of the same group had pinned great idea but what you described sounds like it may be open to everyone. i just looked at there main page and that's how it looks to me any way I may be completely wrong if so please by all means correct my statements. Now if you can make it group specific it looks like it could be a very good tool provided the cell or internet grid was still up. I guess my concerns would be that people on the site would all rush to where some one had just posted and fights may break out even more then they already do because they just left there spot in line some place else they get to the pinned locations and then there is non and also how many people are going to be in line at one place and pin a location some place else in hopes that they will move up in line because of others going to those locations instead? and the last thing is can some one unpin your pin if lets say they get there and there is no longer gas?  guess its just a few questions I would want to know before having to sign up .

please if my assumptions are wrong once again please let me know and thanks for the info on the site :)
I can think of no more stirring symbol of man's humanity than a fire engine ~Kurt Vonnegut~

FIND ME ON
                        ZELLO  =   VFDPRIM  
                     13 SKILLS   =   Firewheels

Offline Twibble

• Survivor
  • I forgot what I was thinking...
    • Trepanation for the Sane
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2013, 03:08:08 PM »
Firewheelz, not everybody thinks about the fact that if they tell everybody something, everybody then knows it.

Have you seen the crap people post on Facebook?  "Oh, hey, we're going on a week-long vacation out of the country, can somebody check on our cats?"
Cousin: "Who was crazy enough to take her to the range?"
Guy I later married: "I figured I should know how well she can shoot before I tick her off.  I don't want to tick her off."

Offline GrizzlyAdams

• Prepper
  • Hiker and Prepper
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2013, 09:18:03 PM »
I think it depends on who it is you are interested in helping.  Maybe you could use the web site/app to share information with your family, or neighborhood, or town.  I think it depends on the type of community each person is trying to build.

GA
"There is a huge amount of freedom that comes to you when you take nothing personally."~Don Miguel Ruiz

You are the master.  The mind is your servant.  This is the correct relationship.~Mooji

"We sit together, the mountain and me, until only the mountain remains."~ Li Po

Offline Firewheelz

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2013, 12:21:31 AM »
Firewheelz, not everybody thinks about the fact that if they tell everybody something, everybody then knows it.

Have you seen the crap people post on Facebook?  "Oh, hey, we're going on a week-long vacation out of the country, can somebody check on our cats?"
[/quote

GOOD POINT  ::)
I can think of no more stirring symbol of man's humanity than a fire engine ~Kurt Vonnegut~

FIND ME ON
                        ZELLO  =   VFDPRIM  
                     13 SKILLS   =   Firewheels