Author Topic: Should I sell my ar15?  (Read 1520 times)

Offline adam165

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Should I sell my ar15?
« on: January 04, 2013, 04:06:06 PM »
Do you guys think this is the time to sell an ar and take advantage of the buying frenzy?  Or should I hang on to it for just in case?  I have several other rifles and I don't use it much but I know it's there if I need it.

Offline livinitup0

• Survivalist Mentor
  • confrontational by design
Re: Should I sell my ar15?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2013, 04:21:42 PM »
I told my buddy this the other day... he's got a colt thats about to hit the $2000ish range...so this will depend on what yours is worth.

Buying a very basic, stock lower and upper seperately can be done pretty cheaply. There was a thread on here about getting a complete (albeit basic) AR build for $600... I know its probably going to be harder right now to get that kind of price... but theres still deals out there if you're willing to look and put a little time into putting them together. I told him that if he sold his colt and threw in a couple hundred bucks he could probably get 3 ARs for what he could get selling the one he has now.

Offline meapplejak

• Prepper
  • Newish TSP Forum member
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2013, 05:03:33 PM »
There's a very similar thread with a similar name with a lot of good responses ill try to find to link.
applejak

Offline joeinwv

• The Bee Whisperer
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2013, 11:38:03 PM »
At this point, if you are looking to make some quick cash - then sell it. You can easily find someone to pay 30% over retail for a used gun now.

On the other hand, parts and guns are very scarce right now - and could become severely scarce soon, depending on how things go.

Would have been nice to grab a dozen when they were $800 - sell them now for $1200 and pocket $4800. For that matter, you could triple your money on PMAGS all day long right now.

Offline meapplejak

• Prepper
  • Newish TSP Forum member
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2013, 12:35:49 AM »
i seem to have issues with the forum search i can  never find the threads when i want to.  Anyways you can trade it for a nice bike on craigslist or a go cart with no motor  i just saw those two earlier today lol good luck with your efforts.  Everyone either wants to unload or buy.  Im sure you are aware of the shortages and therefore price hikes.   I doubt anyone will really buy a used ar for $3000 but shoot if you can get that kind of dough and then wait for the surge to die down then id do it.  I got lucky with mine and have been riding a wave.  I got ordered my complete lower about 5 days before CT picked  it up a few days after on the 18th and got my complete upper the same day.  The FFL was saying how lucky we were( my friend and i ordered the same day)  buying ammo from some sites before it sells out the same day.  The site i ordered my upper from had about 15-20 different uppers literally has nothing up under complete uppers (surplusammo.com).  I got some pmags from the same guy i got the lower from and he sent me a link literally saying buy these up before anyone finds this link. you could not find the link on his site im not sure why.

its been a crazy 20 something days
applejak

Offline mxitman

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Entrepreneur/HVAC Mechanic/Electrician
    • RicksDIY
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2013, 04:51:58 PM »
One of my friends bought a 6.8 AR and later regretted it as he wasn't shooting it like his others...paid around $1200 for it with all the extras...and now 2 years later he just sold it this weekend for $2500 with some ammo...I just had to laugh...it's not his only AR so no big deal...If I had extra's or an odd caliber that might be harder to sell in normal times than I would sell. specially if you can double down...
http://ricksdiy.com http://heezy.com/ http://woodybeds.com

I'd rather have it and not need it, than not have it when I do need it.

Offline chrisdfw

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2013, 05:56:03 PM »
  Everyone either wants to unload or buy.

I'm doing both, I am unloading certain things that have skyrocketed and buying things that haven't.

Higher end rifles are not skyrocketing, I sold some cheap lowers for enough to buy a top of the line AR. I couldn't find
the parts to build complete rifles with the lowers, so I sold them and bought a Larue tactical rifle.

For what I had ~700 invested in, I get a 2200 rifle (same price as a month ago). While bushmasters skyrocket, wilson combat, Larue, etc are pretty much the same as before, or a small increase.

I sold 20 Pmags (I have more... many more) and bought 50 USGI mags, same money and IF A BAN passes I will have 50 mags instead of 20.

I am unloading and buying... because I can.

Offline hillclimber

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2013, 03:45:51 PM »
Yeah, I'm sitting on a brand new, never been fired AR myself. I might have $700 in it, but it's all nice stuff.
I've had I don't know how many chances to sell it for a huge profit, and it's not my only AR. I just can't quite let loose of it.
The way I look at it, it very well may be the last "new" AR I ever own or build.
"A shotgun, a rifle, and a 4 wheel drive, a country boy can survive"

Offline mwcoleburn

• Prepper
  • Gun Pusher
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2013, 05:00:39 AM »
I've had a lot of my customers asking about this. I'll give everyone here the same advice. If you have something else that you prefer and fits the need, then do it. I will say that waiting till after whatever firm bill is being pushed might be the better course of action. I imagine that after we get more bad news prices will climb upwards again.  Of course I'm sitting on 8 VZ58s that are going to the gun show with me next week, but thats an a different subject all together,  8)
Matthew Coleburn
Coleburn Armory

Offline NWPilgrim

• Dedicated Contributor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2013, 12:27:02 PM »
If you are not using it then you might as well get a good price for it now.  If you plan to use it for defense you should be using it now to be familiar with it, find any weaknesses, be intimately familiar with the sighting and POI of your chosen ammo, practice stoppages, etc. If you have other firearms for primary defensive role and this AR is a safe queen then now is a good time to be selling.
There have always been times like this, and there will be again. Will we rise to the challenges or get run over?