Author Topic: Does ammo "expire" or go bad?  (Read 2515 times)

Offline dswaim

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Does ammo "expire" or go bad?
« on: January 04, 2013, 03:09:31 PM »
I have some rounds (reload 6mm) that I got from my Grandfather after he passed, that for various I have never shot.  Problem is he passed more than 10 yrs ago.  Ignorant question I know, but is there a time frame in which this ammo should be used?

Offline Bradbn4

• Dedicated Contributor
Re: Does ammo "expire" or go bad?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2013, 03:16:03 PM »
If ammo is kept safe and sound - or is that cool and dry, the ammo can easily last 50+ years.

I would worry more about it being reloaded versus old ammo...

The first question I would have is, how hot was the charge, etc.  If in doubt I would use a bullet puller, dump out the powder.  I might go as far as fire / deactivate the primer so when I reload the round I know everything there is to know about it.

Now if I had the reloading data he used; and trusted his skill I might use the ammo for target practice.

Offline PrepperJim

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Prepping Means Resiliency and Redundancy
Re: Does ammo "expire" or go bad?
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2013, 05:18:03 PM »
My dad loaded some ammo for me back in 1990-ish (I know, because he gave it to me along with my .357 when I was in college). I did not shoot for about 20 years and that ammo still shot without fail last year. So, it was 20 years old, kept in good condition (dry and cool in an AC house) and had no issues. In fact, I trust it as my self-defense ammo in my house (my .357 is a backup gun after my 9 mm and my shotgun).

I still shoot it for practice from time to time.