Author Topic: Help with mole eradication, please  (Read 1466 times)

Offline chickchoc

• Survivalist Mentor
Help with mole eradication, please
« on: January 04, 2013, 10:47:23 PM »
Help!  I have a major mole problem in my yard.  I've tried Grub-ex to kill off the food supply with no effect.  I tried tamping down every hill and mound I could find.  Nada.  I tried flooding every tunnel I could find.  Zilch.   I talked to my local feed store and they suggested using rat poison in the mounds/tunnels, but I researched moles and found they are insectivores and therefore wouldn't be interested in pellets.  I called a pest exterminator and got the runaround.  Someone even told me to put sticks of Juicy Fruit gum into active tunnels.  Anybody tried this?  Results?

I am at wits end.  I thought the critter(s) had gone into hibernation for the winter, but a warm day saw a nice large mound pop up overnight. 

Anyone have sure-fire methods to suggest?  Normally I wouldn't care since the animals are indeed eating grubs under the lawn and aerating the soil, but we're trying to sell this house and the lawn is a disaster. 

Offline nelson96

• Survival Veteran
Re: Help with mole eradication, please
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2013, 11:12:33 PM »
Everything you listed is a FAIL, but you know that already.  The only surefire way to get them is with a Rodenator (or something like it).

YouTube Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aH0IOXC87PU&list=UUlSrtYQYGO_r3UO5P9b4iVQ&index=4

The second best way is with a lot of patience and a proper mole trap (my favorites shown below).  I carefully dig out one of their mounds until I find one that has a hole in and out (two holes).  I put the trap in so that the mole must pass through the trap when he uses the tunnel.  I cover the hole (with the trap in it) with a bucket.  And wait.

Trapline Trap

Jaw Trap

“There are few things more pathetic than those who have lost their curiosity and sense of adventure, and who no longer care to learn.”
 ~ Gordon B. Hinckley

One hundred thousand generations of people lived and ate as hunter-gatherers, and only two generations have grown up on highly processed fast foods. . .  It's not too late

Offline Cedar

• Autarkist Queen
  • TSP Ultimate Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2013, 11:30:26 PM »
I like the jaw trap as well. They work great. My dad also used to sit out in the lawn chair next to a mole hill with a beer and his .44.

You might also find someone with a ferret and start pouring ferret poo down ALLLLLLLLL of the holes.

Cedar
"Do not breathe simply to exist."

Offline Terroir

• Survivor
  • Heirloom Seed Company Owner
    • Terroir Seeds | Underwood Gardens
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2013, 12:39:04 PM »
I strongly second what nelson96 said, especially the first trap pictured. We've used ours for several years now - whenever the pesky critters decide that our property looks appealing. We've caught well over 50 during the past 5 years. It doesn't take long at all to learn where and how to properly set them up, cover the hole and come back in the morning. I've tied about 4 feet of baling twine to each of mine to be able to pull the trap/critter combination out easily. They are called Gophinators - http://www.traplineproducts.com/, are inexpensive and really work! It's best to buy 3 -4 for moderate infestations, or 5 - 6 for bad ones. This way you are really culling the herd quickly.
Heirloom Seedsman

Truth Seeker   "The truth is not for all men, but only for those who seek it." - Ayn Rand

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." - Robert Heinlein

TSP Episode-974- Fall and Winter Gardening
TSP Episode-1280- Seed Saving vs Seed Quality
The Heirloom Seeds Blog

Offline chickchoc

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2013, 04:54:12 PM »
Thanks for all the great info, guys.  I've been watching lots of YouTube videos and feel I've gotten a good education in getting rid of the little buggers.  Of course, nothing teaches like experience.  I'm ordering my set of traps today!

Offline stry67

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2013, 05:30:38 PM »
Get a outdoor cat

Offline nelson96

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2013, 06:19:02 PM »
Get a outdoor cat

Yea, that'll work  :o  :crazy: . . .  But, my grandmother once had a rat terrier that would sit at a hole and wait to pounce and pull them out.
“There are few things more pathetic than those who have lost their curiosity and sense of adventure, and who no longer care to learn.”
 ~ Gordon B. Hinckley

One hundred thousand generations of people lived and ate as hunter-gatherers, and only two generations have grown up on highly processed fast foods. . .  It's not too late

Offline Freebirde

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2013, 04:52:22 AM »
For a long term solution, you have to eliminate the reason they are there, food.    First to eliminate the grubs that they feed on, which you don't want in your lawn, apply Bt (Bacillus thuringiensis) as directed.    Next you want to make the earthworms that you want in your lawn unpalatable by applying caster oil to your lawn.    The most common form is granules that you water in, the earthworms consum the castor oil making themselves taste bad to the moles.
The poison and gum are for voles, herbivores, that often use mole tunnels.
With all the new and different mistakes out there waiting to be made, why keep repeating the same ones?

http://www.extension.org/

I just don't let preconceptions get in the way of doing what needs to be done.

Si hortum in bibliotheca habes, nihil deerit
If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.
Marcus Tullius Cicero

Offline nelson96

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2013, 09:30:12 AM »
Next you want to make the earthworms that you want in your lawn unpalatable by applying caster oil to your lawn.    The most common form is granules that you water in, the earthworms consum the castor oil making themselves taste bad to the moles.

Thanks, didn't know that.
 ~ Gordon B. Hinckley

Offline markl32

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2013, 05:06:13 PM »

I found this style trap to be far more effective than the others.  I have both mole and gopher size traps and they work great. 

Offline chickchoc

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2013, 05:12:20 PM »
I've tried to get rid of the food sources by using BT in the past; however, in our climate it is very difficult to get an active colony started.  In addition, the process takes about 3 - 5 years, I'm told.

I liked the idea of castor oil, though.  I hate using insecticides, herbicides, etc. because I have toy dogs that use the yard and I'm allergic to many ingredients.  I hope my feed store carries castor oil.  Otherwise, Amazon here I come!

Thanks for the great recommendations, everyone!

Offline OKCPrepper

• Survivor
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2013, 12:02:33 AM »
We were discussing this in the Livestock and Critters section. I am not sure how to link to a different thread so I just cut and pasted this reply I made. I have a 1.5 acre garden and had a lot of problems the first season. Have done this for 2 years now and we have either killed them off, or they have move on. Either way, the garden is free of them. I tried the same thing in my suburban back yard 15 years ago with the same success.

"We had a big problem with rodents in the farm garden. Moles, ground hogs, what ever they were. We took a gas grill size propane bottle, connected a hose to it with a gas valve at the end. One the end of the valve was a long pipe, tube. Use a piece of steel rod to penetrate through the soil, once you feel it hit the tunnel, pull the rod out and stick in the gas tube. Turn on the gas and let it run for several minutes. Pull the tube out and stomp down the dirt to seal off the gas. No need to light the gas and risk any damage. We have very good success with this technique."

Good luck.

Offline flippydidit

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Keep 'em shooting!
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2013, 12:47:45 AM »
I haven't been convinced of any reason to kill the moles on my property.  They're doing me a favor.  But I don't have neighbors to impress with my "fabulous lawn".   ;D
Nate
Military/civilian gunsmith/machinist
PermEscapes
PermEscapes on Facebook
Frontier Tactical
Frontier Tactical on Facebook

"One of these centuries, the brutes, private or public, who believe that they can rule their betters by force, will learn the lesson of what happens when brute force encounters mind and force."
— Ragnar Danneskjöld, from Atlas Shrugged (Ayn Rand)

Offline cmr2mine

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2013, 09:03:08 PM »
The first two traps are the best the first one requires two to work in the tunnel, the second one is my best trap and has the best result with , there strong and need to be covered with pot , there what I use in my side business

Offline donaldj

• Dedicated Contributor
    • Martial Tactical Training of Michigan
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2013, 09:46:53 PM »
The rat poison worked very well for me. They are not just insectivores, they are more like scavengers.

Moles apparently have a great sense of smell, so the guy at my local hardware said to get a stick that was wider than the poison pellet. Poke a hole in the mole trail with the stick. Drop in a rat pellet WITHOUT TOUCHING IT. Use the bag to squeeze one out. Because of this, there is no scary human smell associated with the very yummy rat poison.

The moles will get it, and take it back to Mole Central, where they will all feast on it.

A HUMOROUS STORY:

I used to live in a neighborhood, and my across the street neighbors would come out and watch me do yard work or garage work. When I had to mow the lawn, they'd sit on their porch and watch. When I got done, they'd go inside. When I raked leaves, they'd brew some coffee, watch, then go back inside.

They'd never wave, never say Hi when I did, and would avoid eye contact when I actually looked up at them. This went on for 2 years.

One day I was walking about the yard, about to mow. I saw a mole trail and frowned. The Milky Spores wasn't working (it killed a primary food source of the moles). THe neighbors, sure enough, had just come out and were happily watching me. I decided it was time to give them a show.

Going inside, I dressed in my aikido dogi, put on my hakama, and got my replica Highlander katana.

I strode out into the yard purposefully, immediately drawing the attention of the very observant neighbors. Going to where the mole was moving, I noticed it stopped and strode to that place.

Giving a very loud, maniacal kiai, I buried the sword into the mole trail, and pulled up in a strong hikite.

The tip of the sword was bloodied.

I immediately checked my feet, assuming I had stabbed a foot and I would see loose toes laying amongst the grass blades. All toes were accounted for. I had killed the mole! After a purposeful chiburi and nouto, I went inside and got dressed to mow.

I also solved the problem of my very observent neighbors. After that incident, they no longer came out for the sole purpose of watching me do yard work.

Satsujin ken  for the mole
Katsujin ken  for me.

Doesn't matter what the press says. Doesn't matter what the politicians or the mobs say. Doesn't matter if the whole country decides that something wrong is something right. This nation was founded on one principle above all else: the requirement that we stand up for what we believe, no matter the odds or the consequences. When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world — "No, you move."     -Captain America

See my Examiner.com articles on Emergency Preparations: http://www.examiner.com/detroit-emergency-preparedness-in-detroit/donald-alley

See my Examiner.com articles on martial arts:  http://www.examiner.com/martial-arts-in-detroit/donald-alley

Offline chickchoc

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2013, 12:36:59 PM »
I LOVED the samurai mole killer story!!  +1

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Geese Smuggling Moonbat
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • There are no mistakes, just Learning Experiences
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2013, 03:00:35 PM »
+1 for the mole story as well.

btw - did you ever figure out their deal?
"Preparedness, when properly pursued, is a way of life, not a sudden, spectacular program" - Spencer W. Kimball
"Life isn't about trying to survive the storm; but about learning to dance in the rain" - unknown
Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity

Prepping makes even a hurricane just an inconvenience.

Offline donaldj

• Dedicated Contributor
    • Martial Tactical Training of Michigan
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2013, 02:21:57 PM »
btw - did you ever figure out their deal?

Nope, and we moved away from that house (not because of them), so never found out.

I'm guessing they were relieved....
Doesn't matter what the press says. Doesn't matter what the politicians or the mobs say. Doesn't matter if the whole country decides that something wrong is something right. This nation was founded on one principle above all else: the requirement that we stand up for what we believe, no matter the odds or the consequences. When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world — "No, you move."     -Captain America

See my Examiner.com articles on Emergency Preparations: http://www.examiner.com/detroit-emergency-preparedness-in-detroit/donald-alley

See my Examiner.com articles on martial arts:  http://www.examiner.com/martial-arts-in-detroit/donald-alley