Author Topic: Is this a good deal on bees?  (Read 747 times)

Offline cheryl1

• Survival Demonstrator
Is this a good deal on bees?
« on: January 05, 2013, 03:26:32 PM »
I am starting beekeeping this year with my daughter as a 4-H project and as one of our 13 skills. I came across this ad, but I don't know enough about bees to evaluate if it is a good thing or not. Any input would be appreciated.

"I'll have beehives and nucs available this coming April.
Beekeepers know a strong hive in April is worth 2 in June. I'm going to great length to get them here early enough for you to be successful and profitable first season.
These hives will be 10 frame deeps full of bees and brood built-up on the citrus flow down south, so we're talking about strong hives that could easily be made into nucs or left to make surplus honey first year. These hives have existing queens known and accepted by the bees.
About the Queens;
I have bought a variety of queens from many sources. I have found queens from EAS Master Beekeeper Bob Harvey (who is the supplier) to be spectacular. He only raises VSH Pol-line, Minnesota Hygienic, and other strains suited to stand up well to mites, form good brood patterns, and make honey. My best hives are those requeened with these queens.
10 frame hives includes a used deep hive body, all frames, migratory cover, and loads of bees - $230
5 frame deep nucs in a cardboard nuc box - $145 or $130 in your box
50% deposit requested to hold your order. There is limited space on the truck and I expect these to sell out, so if you have plans to start or increase your apiary, please consider calling to secure your order early. Pickup will be in Indianapolis Indiana."

There was also a phone number, address, e-mail, and website to contact the seller.  Thoughts?

I've seen the village and I don't want it raising my children.

Offline Bee man

• Prepper
  • We all need a bee hive in the backyard
    • BetterHives
Re: Is this a good deal on bees?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2013, 10:01:12 PM »
Hi cheryl1

Keep in mind that this is just my opinion. I see a couple of things that I don't feel good about.
1. The ad says that you will get a used deep hive body. I do not recommend used equipment at all. You have no idea what kind of chemicals or parasites have been in that hive in the past.
2. You should be able to buy a three pound package of bees for around $80.00 or so plus another $100.00 or so for a new hive. This way you are not taking the chance of buying someone elses problems or parasites.

All in all it is probably a good deal, I am just a little shy about buying used hives.
Just my two cents worth.   
You can find my new site and forum here
www.betterhives.com
www.betterhives.com/forum

Offline halh

• Prepper
  • cranky old barstard...
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2013, 11:38:44 PM »
I agree with Beeman... seems a bit expensive. I also note that while the seller goes to great length describing the queens he thinks are the best, he in no way states that you will receive one of those queens... to be quite honest I would doubt he would be selling off his "best hives"
perhaps the best way to proceed with this is to buy one of the nucs to incorporate in your own hive... it may be a bit more work, but you should learn a whole lot more that way.
"What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence."

Offline johnauck

• Prepper
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2013, 02:24:12 AM »
Agree with Beeman and Halh regarding second hand super, and starting off with a NUC as a learning experience.

All I can add is the fact they are selling 10 frame deeps might mean you go with all 10 frame supers which can be quite heavy. Personally I have all 8 frame deeps for my hives. It is best to decide in the beginning to stick with one size so all boxes and frames are interchangeable.

cheers

john

Offline Serenity Gulch

• Survivor
    • Serenity Gulch Farm
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2013, 10:20:06 AM »
Cheryl I've always got bees from Graham's Beeworks in Morgantown and have nothing but good things to say about them. They're a little mom and pop operation that's been in business for many years and they're very eager to help out new beekeepers. They raise their own Indiana queens. It's about a 2 hour drive from my house to go pick up my order but IMO opinion it's worth the trip.

I just checked their website and they are starting to take orders for nucs and packages this week. They do tend to sell out fast. http://www.grahamsbeeworks.com/

I don't have any affiliation with them, just a satisfied customer.
Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take my broccoli!
www.serenitygulchfarm.com

Better a house, | though a hut it be,
A man is master at home;
A pair of goats | and a patched-up roof
Are better far than begging."
Hávamál - Translation by H.A. Bellows

Offline cheryl1

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2013, 04:34:32 PM »
Thanks-ill check them out
I've seen the village and I don't want it raising my children.