Author Topic: feral pigs  (Read 3561 times)

Kyser

feral pigs
« on: March 17, 2009, 11:23:43 AM »
We've got feral pigs running around our neighborhood, and it's too built up in our area to shoot them.  From neighbors I've gathered information that there are three of them running together and none of them are very big.  Does anyone have experience trapping pigs?

ontheporch

Re: feral pigs
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2009, 04:00:25 PM »
a good pallet trap is an easy enterprise to get down on, with three wall pallets and one as a rooftop, then a trapdoor suspended pallet in simple metal stakes used as runners for it to slide down when the trap is sprung. the size of this thing can be good as it may restrict the pig inside from turning around and allows an easy put-down.
simple snares is also a good option, i've seen them at surplus stores but also at such spots as bass pro, etc.- probly best to leave these on your property, though, where their location is known.
depending on the population concentration in your area and whether you'd have access, dogs are a great way about going about pig problems, especially if their vicinity is known.
a lot of times pigs like this have a pretty defined schedule and make the same rounds daily at about the same times for quite some time, making it much easier for trap placement or what have you. we throw old avocados and scraps and such around a trap site and get them comfortable with it. any kind of slop or feedstuff material is fairly legit though.
hope this lends a hand--

Offline DeltaEchoVictor

• Evil Forum Overlord
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Vincit Omnia Veritas
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2009, 04:13:50 PM »
We've got feral pigs running around our neighborhood, and it's too built up in our area to shoot them.  From neighbors I've gathered information that there are three of them running together and none of them are very big.  Does anyone have experience trapping pigs?
First & foremost check your state's regulations to see what's allowed & what isn't.

Kyser

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2009, 07:22:59 PM »
There are no restrictions for feral pigs, except in wildlife management areas.  They're treated like livestock on private lands.  They can be baited and trapped or snared(in Florida that is, and according to the way I read the information from the Fish and Wildlife Commission). 

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • Wanna have an adventure?
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2009, 07:27:36 PM »
If yer gonna eat em, make sure you don't eat a fully mature male.  That's all I know.   :P

Offline barnesglobal

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2009, 09:22:02 PM »
The laws can vary from state to state..for example in Texas...there are no limitations .. can be hunted day or night.

Here is some information on trapping I was provided from another hunter

"Baiting the hogs with Kool- Aid.  My nephew was told that hogs "love citrus". We found signs of where the hogs were roaming.  We built a trap out of road mesh, fence post that you hammer into the ground, sucker rod for the swinging trap gate, wire, rope placed about 6 inch off the ground attached to a 4 ft stick holding the trap door.  We used 3 packages of raspberry Kool-Aid mixed with water and poured it into a 5 gallon bucket of corn. We let is soak about 3 hours. Around 5 pm that afternoon we poured the soaked corn on the ground inside the trap.  The very next morning my nephew were surprised to find  we had trapped 9 hogs! In two days we trapped a total of 27 hogs! Three hogs escaped. They were huge and just busted through the trap when backing the cow trailer to load them!"

Offline millwright

• Survivor
  • Cold War Relic
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2009, 04:36:00 PM »
We have wild hogs on the deer lease in south Texas, They are pretty good groceries up to about 150 lbs. All the traps I've seen were made from heavy stock panel. They are not a game animal here, no season or limit.  Their movements are pretty unpredictable.  We quarter them and leave them on ice for 3-5 days with the plug open on ice chest so they dont stand in water. This is like aging beef and it gives you some time to sample a little. If it is too gamey, pull out the backstrap, bone the rest and bring on the grinder. If there is too little fat, buy some cheap pork butt roasts and mix that in for added fat. I reccomend "Zach's" sausage seasoning.
"This don't taste like chicken"

Offline barnesglobal

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2009, 11:28:46 AM »
Some people get very serious about hunting pigs.  See the picture on the link.

http://media.photobucket.com/image/dehogger/68017/Dehogger.jpg

barnesglobal