Author Topic: NPR says not to worry about expired food  (Read 1208 times)

Offline mike77

• Survivalist Mentor

Offline Corncob

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Re: NPR says not to worry about expired food
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2013, 01:07:08 AM »
Interesting article, thanks for the post!

Offline Cedar

• Autarkist Queen
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2013, 01:13:08 AM »
Yogurt is good a month out, cheese up to 3 months and make sure canned foods are not bulging.

Cedar
"Do not breathe simply to exist."

Offline Sunnylandcamper

• Prepper
  • Ready to Bugout
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2013, 02:23:38 AM »
if it looks and smells ok I eat it....I hate to waste food....
"Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."- DR Seuss
http://www.meetup.com/PeoriaPreppers/

Offline The mad Vaper

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2013, 01:19:40 AM »
I think cheese is good for as long as you want to keep it. "Aged" as long as its kept at proper temps, and you scrape the mold off first ;) but I love cheddar and the best way I have found to keep it fresh longer is using the handi vac. I used to use my regular food saver, but those bags are an expensive item to be cutting and resealing constantly. The ziplock handi vac bags are great. I think it's something that I may even include in my B.O.B because you use the same bags over and over. And the portability factor thumbs up. I unzip the bag cut off a hunk of cheese, zip the bag up, 10 second vacuum, back in fridge, Voila no mold!!

Offline Spirit Wolf

• Survivor
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2013, 04:31:06 PM »
I always smell and or taste food before I throw it out. I use to work at mcdonald's. I was always bringing home food that was expired and was just going to be thrown away. I remember bringing home a case (10lb) of canadian bacon that had gotten lost in the walk in refrigerator and was nearly a year past the expiration date. Tasted as good as brand new. and I never had to buy cheese!

I know it wasn't the healthiest food in the world but as a college student with little money this saved me a ton.
"There are moments in your life that make you and set the course of who you're going to be. Sometimes they're little, subtle moments. Sometimes, they're big moments you never saw coming. No one asks for their life to change, but it does. It's what you do afterwards that counts. That's when you find out who you are."
~Unknown

"The worst lesson that can be taught to a man is to rely upon others & to whine over his sufferings."
~T. Roosevelt

Offline TimSuggs

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2013, 12:44:08 AM »
Our daughter worked for Starbucks for over 6 years and she brought home "expired" food every night.  Most was only out by a day or so but every now and then it would be 30 days plus.  The "look and smell" method works great as long as your eyes and smeller are working fine.
Tim Suggs
Birmingham, AL. USA!
Murder Capital of the South