Author Topic: Cedar's Garden 2013  (Read 35416 times)

Offline Terroir Seeds

• Survivor
  • Heirloom Seed Company Owner
    • Terroir Seeds | Underwood Gardens
Re: Cedar's Garden 2013
« Reply #60 on: April 17, 2013, 06:28:38 PM »
A little education please on the goat milk phrase you posted -  "The days worth of goat milk. Ready to be pasteurized to break the cycle of CAE and CL."

What does that mean?

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #61 on: April 17, 2013, 07:07:37 PM »
A little education please on the goat milk phrase you posted -  "The days worth of goat milk. Ready to be pasteurized to break the cycle of CAE and CL."
What does that mean?

We got 3 GRADE (crossbred and not very good looking ones either) milking goats to get milk for the GOOD purebred kids we had ordered from a commercial goat dairy farm. Milk replacer is not the best for kid goats and it is also $75 for a 25 pound sack of it. If you do not know what the status on CAE and CL is via a blood test on the goats (and even if you do), it is best to pasteurize the milk to kill off pathogens of Caprine Arthritis Encephalitis (CAE) Virus and Caseous Lymphadenitis (CL).

Caprine arthritis encephalitis (CAE) is a member of the small ruminant lentiviruses (also includes ovine progressive pneumonia-OPP of sheep) which may lead to chronic disease of the joints, and on rare occasions, encephalitis (brain inflamation) in goat kids less than six months of age. The CAE virus is intimately associated with white blood cells; therefore, any body secretions which contain blood cells (incliding milk)are potential sources of virus to other goats in the herd. Since not all goats that become infected with CAE virus progress to disease, it is important to test goats routinely for infection by means of a serology test which detects viral antibodies in the serum.

With Caseous Lymphadenitis (CL), abscesses show up anywhere on the body and may also form in the lungs and abdominal organs as a result of spread of the organism within the animal via blood or lymph. When abscesses are present in the lungs, the organism may be transmitted through respiratory secretions (nasal discharge or coughing). In rare cases, C. pseudotuberculosis may be present in the milk. This potentially can be passed onto humans. If you drink raw milk, this would deem it a good cost to get your animals tested.

I just draw the blood into SST and then go to the local vet office to get it spun down, then ship it to Washington State University overnight. I could have one test done at Oregon State University, but they do not do both or Johnnes.

So to break the cycle of these two diseases, you pasteurize the milk and then feed it back to the babies.

Z bottle feeding 3 of the 5 kids

We just disbudded them the other night too, but not sure you guys want to see those pics. There isn't any blood, but it doesn't look pretty. What the electric dehorner does, is it destroys the blood vessels and cells to the horn bud and prevents it from growing. I do them as soon as I can feel the horn bud growing. Horns are dangerous to humans and I do not like milking does with horns. Get slammed in the face once with a horn and you will so understand.

All of them have names now:
The older kids - "Sunny", "Stormy", "Derecho" "Nimbus".  The younger kids - "Lilly", "Rose", "Hawthorn", "Jasmine" and "Camelia"

Cedar - who got a 1.5 hour nap in!!

Offline Terroir Seeds

• Survivor
  • Heirloom Seed Company Owner
    • Terroir Seeds | Underwood Gardens
« Reply #62 on: April 17, 2013, 10:47:37 PM »
Got it! Thanks! Glad you were able to get a nap in, sometimes they make all the difference.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #63 on: April 22, 2013, 05:04:44 PM »
YAY -- It was not raining today so I got most of the garden tilled for the #2 time for the year. It was a quick pass over except for where the blackberry roots were sprouting a bit. Hopefully this weekend we can grab those wood corner posts from a neighbor, so we can set those and finish off the fence. Z wants to install a gate for the tractor which is coming. He went from the No-Till and giving me a slightly bad time about my tiller, to **yee-ha** about the tractor with a rotovator. Boys with their toys!!! But he did buy lumber for the people gate into the garden.

Hopefully the posts will be in before this weekend so I can get things like peas in. I also have several hundred celery which needs to go in. But tonight it will be nice and clear and there is frost warnings.

Cedar

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #64 on: April 30, 2013, 09:50:58 AM »
OMG! We were butchering the llama late last night and I forgot to bring in my peppers and tomato seedlings in for the night. It went down to 29F last night. 61 tomato plants. Cross your fingers for me that they live  :(

Cedar

Offline Mexican_Hippie

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #65 on: April 30, 2013, 03:30:42 PM »
Wow, that's rough.  I've left some out before and wanted to kick myself.  I hope it turns out alright. 

PS - Your homestead is ridiculously awesome!

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #66 on: April 30, 2013, 03:43:08 PM »
PS - Your homestead is ridiculously awesome!

Thanks. I LOVE it here!!! It is awesome except for the tomatoes and peppers I am now going to be 6 weeks behind on. The Bells look toasted, the smaller HOT peppers might make it. The tomatoes look like Hades. That is what you get when you butcher at the end of a long day and quit at midnight and dinner is at 1am

Cedar

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #67 on: May 30, 2013, 06:56:38 PM »
YAY! Finally got to accomplish something in the garden between rainstorms.

Z leveled off the spot where the old pig pen from the previous people who lived at the Lodge had. My hoophouse will go there soon.

Between the next set of monsoons coming down (been raining non-stop for about 9+ days), we finally got the wooden corner posts in. It was a 2 person project for sure. We are busy tomorrow, but hopefully the day after that we can get the 7 foot wire fence up and then finish the watering lines. I would be more concerned not getting the garden in yet, but it has been so sold here. Two weeks ago it was 29F?

Cedar

Cedar

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #68 on: June 06, 2013, 04:30:25 PM »
Ok.. got my water lines out today and tonight when it is cooler I will start planting. I have never planted so late down here before. So I changed my lineup for the year.

Artichoke
"Green Globe Improved"

Asparagus Pea

Bean
"Anasazi" bush
"Barlotto Lingua di Fuoco 2" pole
"Black Turtle" bush
"Brockton Horticultural" Pole
"Dragon's Tongue" Pole
"Good Mother Stallard" Pole
"Hidatsa Shield Figure" bush?
"Ireland Creek Annie" Bush
"Mayflower" pole
"Orca" Bush
"Pencil Pod Golden Wax" pole
"Red & White Calypso" bush?
"Tiger Eye" bush?

Beets
"Albino"
"Bulls Blood"
"Burpee's Golden"
"Chioggia"
"Cylindra"
"Early Blood"
"Mammoth Red Mangel"

Carrot
"Chantenay Red Core"
"Daver's 126"
"Dragon"
"Horn Red Apple"
"Lunar White"
"Nantes Coreless"
"St. Valery"
"Yellow Belgian"

Celery
"Golden Self Blanching"

Corn
"Yukon Supreme" 45 day sweet corn
"Golden Bantam Improved" 70-85 days
"Stowells Evergreen" 110 days

Going to try to fit Popcorn down below with red pinto beans and misc squash at farmhouse garden which will be late.
"Calico" popcorn
"Dakota Black" popcorn

Cucumber
"Boothsby's Blonde"
"Mexican Sour Gherkin"
"Poona Kheera"

Fennel
"Finocchio"

Kale
"Dwarf Blue Curled Scotch"
"Siberian"

Leek
"Blue Solieze"
"Musselburgh"

Lettuce
"Forellenschluss"
"Greek Maroulli"
"Green Towers"

Melon
"Ananas"
"Charentais de Bellegarde"
"Jelly Melon" aka "Kiwano"
"Minnesota Midget"
"Noir des Carmes"
"Prescott a Fond Blanc"
"Pride of Wisconsin"

Okra
"Hill Country Red"

Onion
"Long Red Florence"
"Wethersfield Red"

Parsnip
"Halblange Wiesse SE"
"White Spear"

Peas
"Blauwschokkers"
"British Wonder"
"Champion of England"
"Golden Sweet"
"Prussian Blue"

Soybeans
"Envy"
"Shirofumi"
"Shiromeyutaka

Spinach
"Giant Noble"

Sunflower
"Irish Eyes"

Swiss Chard
"Five Color Silverbeet"

Turnip
"Golden Globe"
"Snowball"

Radish
"Chinese Rose Winter"

Summer Squash
"Black Beauty"
"Yugoslavian Finger Fruit"

Winter Squash/Pumpkins
"Big Max"
"Butternut"
"Chirimen"
"Connecticut Field"
"Crown"
"Galeux d'Eysines"
"Kikuza"
"Long Island Squash"
"Naked Seed"
"New England Pie" c. pepo
"Ole Zeb's Pumpkin"
"Pennsylvania Dutch Crookneck"
"Potimarron"
"Shishigatani" or "Toonas  Makino"
"Tours"
"Turks Turban"

Watermelon
"Black Diamond"
"Hopi Yellow"
"Moon & Stars" (Van Doren Strain)
"Small Shining Light"

Zucchini
"Black Beauty"
"Blacktail Mountain"
"Cocozelle"
"Golden"

Cedar

Offline rikkrack

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Permaculture Entrepreneur
    • Wolf-Beach Farms
« Reply #69 on: June 06, 2013, 07:34:40 PM »
Kind of excited, out of all the things Cedar is up to, I saw a few things I have in my garden and I got excited. Small steps to be like Cedar...

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #70 on: June 06, 2013, 09:42:31 PM »
Kind of excited, out of all the things Cedar is up to, I saw a few things I have in my garden and I got excited. Small steps to be like Cedar...

Well, dine like me anyway  ;)

Cedar

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #71 on: June 06, 2013, 10:43:52 PM »
I have been waiting on Z to help me get the Lodge garden gates in so the goats and llamas would not get into it, and he has been working 8 am to 11 pm lately so it has not been planted these last few lovely days. Not to mention my road trip on Tuesday up to Washington State. Z said he would help me this morning before work, but then he ended up with 2 staff meetings (one to France) which I did not find out about before 11 a.m. I waited and I waited doing other small projects like dishes and laundry. So after I found out the gates were not happening today,  I jerry rigged 2 hopefully deterrent enough gate to keep the animals theft at bay and SweetPea and I started planting. I think this is the latest I have ever planted in Oregon. I had to revamp my list for shorter time to harvest crops than I was originally going to do.

I mostly finished getting the water lines in. SweetPea is actually pretty good about helping at the other end of the 50 foot hoses. She follows direction pretty darn good and I am pleased to have her as a helper. Sometimes after a bit she wanders off and I am on my own again, but for the most part she really likes helping.

First we planted the "Yukon Supreme" 45 day sweet corn. Two companies carried it a few years ago, but one went out of business and one had mouse destruction. So as far as I know it is no longer carried commercially. Then we planted the rest in 'Stowells Evergreen" sweet corn in the Lodge garden. If I have time, I may plant 1-2 kinds of popcorn down at the farmhouse garden. I set down the seeds where I want them to go and SweetPea pokes them down with one of her fingers, although after awhile she tried her thumb. Whatever works.

Dry bush beans went in next. "Orca", "Red & White Calypso", "Ireland Creek Annie", "Black Turtle", "Tiger's Eye", and "Anasazi".

"Red & White Calypso" beans

Then 40-some tomatoes and 10 peppers. Alot of mine did not recover from that frost that 29F night. "Hill Country Red" okra for Z next, then the melons/cucumber. "Moon & Stars (Van Doren Strain), "Hopi Yellow", "Black tail Mountain", "Small Shining Lights", "Mexican Sour Gherkin", "Prescott a Fond Blanc", "Noir de Carmes", "Ananas" and then "Boothsby's Blonde" cucumber.

That was it for the day, tomorrow I hope to plant another 1/3 of the garden if not more.

Cedar

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #72 on: June 09, 2013, 11:04:15 PM »
FINALLY.. just as it was getting dark, we finished the Lodge garden fence. It seems like it has taken forever, but I could not do it alone since they are 7 foot high fences and someone from Hades apparently designed this fencing. I have never seen woven wire which folds downward like this. You almost needed 6 people to hold it up so you could tack it to then clip/staple it. But Z did quality work on the gates and they look nice.

Found out that to keep SP out from underfoot with the tractor moving periodically to put her in the chicken tractor where the bottle baby goats are currently being housed until they are a bit bigger and can't squeeze through the fence. They all had a great time. SP playing with goats who wanted to nibble on her hair and goats who needed human contact time since we just weaned them today.

I will try to get pics up in the next day or two.

Cedar

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #73 on: June 19, 2013, 11:24:13 PM »
Yikes.. finally had some pictures available after Z posted them for me. If you see any of my earlier posts before my new computer, I used to put up pics all the time  :-[

Ok.. here is one section of trellis warrior (? I think it was you whom was asking). This section is for my peas. The trellis is 10x10' squares, so there is 50 feet of trellis there. Ten foot high might have been a bit of an overkill, but I was not sure this quicky trellis would work, so I did not want to cut down the lumber so I could use it for another project if need be.

I did get stymied on gardening and other chores for the last two days as I cut my finger. It is looking better. And no, it did not get wet. I think it peeled back from the incision and that is damaged skin put back where it originally was supposed to go. Today I gardened in one latex surgical glove. The wound actually wraps to the top of the photo and to my fingernail so it was about 3/4 of the way around. No wonder it did not want to quit bleeding.  I do not want to do that again for about 10 years.. ugh.

My corn is up. The cukes might be starting. Most of the bush beans are, but the "Red & White Calypso". It was seed given to me this year and I don't know how old it is, so I dug down and yes.. it is germinating, but slower than the other varieties. I need to hill the spuds soon and I am SOOOOO glad I did mostly single rows this year. I am starting to fight weed and blackberries already from this garden being untended for 2+years.

On the garden front today, it was a challenge to get another few rows planted. I had five to ten minute breaks between rainstorms at best. After awhile I decided since I am a 5th generation Oregonian, to just get rained on after running back and forth into the Lodge numberous times ..... until it started thundering. Then I bailed. But I did manage to get a few more hundred feet in, including two varieties of garlic in. My "West Virginia" garlic and the "Bray Family" garlic that they brought back to Oregon from Italy. I also like flowers so planted some "Cool Crayon Colors" zinnias from Renee's Garden. I have talked to Renee a few times on the phone discussing heritage vegetables and flowers. She is really nice.

Cedar

Offline cohutt

• non semper erit aestas
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Don't Give Up Your Keys
    • Behind cohutt's Fence
« Reply #74 on: June 20, 2013, 05:05:30 AM »
Ouch.

I reinvent trellis every year on  whim in search of the holy grail.  Also because I can't seem to get it planned, designed and constructed in a timely manner. Ever.

Offline theBINKYhunter

• Does not fall well with plastic guns...
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Not a tactical baddass
« Reply #75 on: June 20, 2013, 07:58:17 AM »
thanks for the trellis pics. not what i had pictured in my mind, but very cool.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #76 on: June 20, 2013, 09:03:02 AM »
I reinvent trellis every year on  whim in search of the holy grail.  Also because I can't seem to get it planned, designed and constructed in a timely manner. Ever.

I can see myself doing this in the search of the 'perfect' trellis. And this is how these ended up is I was down to the wire this year. But I am so far happy with how strong they seem to be.

thanks for the trellis pics. not what i had pictured in my mind, but very cool.

Like I said, they are not overly special and it took me about 5 minutes to build each frame... 10 minutes to haul them off the porch by myself (there is a technique) and then 30+ minutes stringing them. They are strong enough I can carry them on a corner and up in the air down to the garden by myself and very strong once attached to the t-posts (which are hidden actually).

Cedar

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #77 on: June 25, 2013, 07:03:23 PM »
I took a tour of the Lodge garden today. I rate it at a 7.0/10 for the sogginess factor. I had mud going over my shoes and I was sinking in pretty good.

Squash/melons/okra are not germinated yet, but I dug down and they are not rotting, so maybe they are just a week bit slower due to the daily rains.

The "Yukon Supreme" and "Stowells Evergreen" corn are all up. I was worried with the rain that they would rot out like they did the last two years, but it most be JUST warm enough to get the soil over 55F.

Carrots are starting to come up, turnips, all of the pea varieties. I brought up 2 bales of wheat straw today and hilled my spuds. It only took 1 bale to get 60-some feet of potatoes done. Off 60 feet, I should get about 180+ pounds of spuds at the end of the summer. I like to hill them in straw as it is easy and keeps the spuds clean. I am concerned as I have slugs, snails and mice who could take up residence in it, but the mud was not looking appealing to shovel either. I did intentionally have the goats and llamas overgraze the property around the garden area to keep it less desirable to slugs and snails.

The tomatoes are starting to blossom. I have ties to use tomorrow or the next day. Been running the stirrup hoe around a row or two or three when I am out there. I was glad I did mostly single rows instead of my usual 4 foot wide rows. It will make weeding much much easier.

Pictures to come soon.

Cedar

Offline cohutt

• non semper erit aestas
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
    • Behind cohutt's Fence
« Reply #78 on: July 30, 2013, 07:15:44 PM »

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #79 on: July 30, 2013, 07:26:52 PM »
Awesome mushroom. I hope they find out what it is. Thank you for sharing.

Cedar

Offline heliotropicmoth

• Survivalist Mentor
  • "Nothing is troublesome that we do willingly" -TJ
« Reply #80 on: August 01, 2013, 11:52:25 AM »
Sorry cedar, I was trying to post in my garden page. I can't find a way to delete this. Here is a pic of my bees to make up for my stupidity.    :)

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #81 on: August 01, 2013, 12:04:06 PM »
Sorry cedar, I was trying to post in my garden page. I can't find a way to delete this. Here is a pic of my bees to make up for my stupidity.    :)

Must have been meant to BEEEEEEEEEEEEEE... I like them. No worries! Are they on onions or leeks?

I need to go out and take some pics of my garden now that it has 6 weeks growth. It is not the world's best garden this year. Maybe I will have SP video me and it. I can get video online easier than pics these days due to this silly.. grumble grumble computer.

Cedar

Offline heliotropicmoth

• Survivalist Mentor
  • "Nothing is troublesome that we do willingly" -TJ
« Reply #82 on: August 01, 2013, 12:17:07 PM »
Hey Cedar, the bees are on a leek I let over-winter. I leave allium family plants all over my garden for the bees, they love them. Yeah my garden is slower that last year for some reason. I planted them around the same time. Around this time last year, I already had a large harvest. Well its time for me to BUZZZZZ off, cant wait to see video's of your garden.

Patrick

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #83 on: October 01, 2013, 03:53:23 AM »
Yeah, well my garden was not very special this year, hence why there is not too much posted on it this time. There has not been too much exciting about it until now. The remains of the Japanese Tyhoon Pabuk did a number on us here with 5+ inches of rain and high winds of unknown speed. The weather guys said we were supposed to get 45-70 mph gusts. I figure it was somewhere pretty close to the highest amount due to how far our neighbor's beehives got tossed. Thankfully our hives did not go anywhere.

My corn was flattened to the ground. Only an inch or so kept it from the mud.

This is the extremely difficult to get "Yukon Supreme" 45 day sweet corn I was growing out for seed. I may manage to salvage it yet. Only two seed companies had it. Three years ago one had a crop failure and the other went out of business.

Jerusalem artichokes were leaning against the fence or down. The Cosmos and Zinnas were flattened. Tomatoes were off their stakes and on the ground. Jerusalem Artichokes were leaning like the Tower of Pisa or worse. My pea trellises stayed up.. and so did half the peas, but the top halves fell over. This could be a good/bad thing. There is some mildewing (see photo) happening already on some varieties that I was saving for seed production, but in opening them up, so far it seems like it is only on the outside.

There is good news out there in the garden however. Squash and pumpkins are looking great. Not looking 'autumnish' on their leaves at all. No yellowing or browning at all. The bright orange ones are "Golden Hubbards", which are new for me this year and pass with flying colours. They will get planted again next year. They grow under adverse conditions, are rather pretty and are prolific. They seem to be about 15-25 pound fruit. I shall see how they taste.

I forgot to post it, maybe I will tomorrow, but with 3 days of wind and rain, there were so many butterflies zooming about in the garden on the fallen flowers between showers. They must have been very hungry. They were quite lovely and I enjoyed them.

Offhand I suspect that this is a "Potimarron" and a "Cheyenne Bush" pumpkin. Both of these varieties are doing rather well too.

The 9-10 varieties of carrots are looking good. I will dig up the two kinds of potatoes we grew this year and get them into the root cellar as soon as I offload some apples out of there making juice and then canning a bunch of them. I  think I should have a couple hundred pounds of spuds.

The two varieties of romaine lettuce I set to seed are doing well.. although have not set seed heads yet. I may have to pull them and hang them upside down for awhile to see if I can get production out of them that way. I have seed in reserve as I never plant it all out each year, so try, try again next year if I fail at getting seed from them.

I did not grow out my favorite lettuce this year however. These ones needed conservation much more desparately.

And the pole beans. I need to pull the bush beans and hang them in the woodshed ASAP (but still have to time it as long as I can) to dry, but the pole beans seem to have come out of the storm unharmed.

The kale will come back even though it looked like moose trampled it even though it was just the rain that pounded it. I think my Cosmos and Zinnas are toast. The celery, beets, Asparagus peas, mangel beets and some other things will survive, like this lovely row of patty pan squashes below.

Soon I will dig up and put tomatoes into buckets for the winter. Hopefully on a dry spell this winter, I will be able to get the greenhouse up and running.

Our garden was nothing to really write home about this year until now when there was something eventful which happened it it.. the storm. It did not help it was a month and a half late getting in due to having to get it fenced. Then the wacky hot, cold, long wet cold, really super hot, back to no sun again for a week at a time. That is what this year was for. Experimentation out there to see what worked and what didn't in this first year garden in the mountains. I know I have blackberries and Deadly Nightshade to destroy between now and next spring. It will get there, it will get there... Rome was not built in a day and a farm/garden is never done.

Cedar

« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 04:01:45 AM by Cedar »

Offline cohutt

• non semper erit aestas
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
    • Behind cohutt's Fence
« Reply #84 on: October 02, 2013, 05:08:32 AM »
Geez...
In a perfect weather year, trying to get some current season "yield" while in the garden-infrastructure building phase is still like running in quicksand.  In a crappy year it is almost impossible. 

Don't worry, they tell me it all averages out.  Next year it will be unusually hot without a drop of rain for weeks at a time. ;)