Author Topic: Cohutt's Garden 5th Try (2013)  (Read 32853 times)

Offline MIZZOU_RAH

• Senior Survivalist
  • TSP Forum member
    • MaxHouseholder.com
Re: Cohutt's Garden 5th Try (2013)
« Reply #90 on: August 08, 2013, 08:57:07 PM »
Rainbow chard, standing on its head in the rinse bucket

Cohutt, do you have any tips on cooking chard? I've had great success growing it this year! I keep cutting and cutting and cutting and it keeps on coming back no matter how hot, cold, rainy, or dry it gets. I love this about it, as I can't get spinach to grow very well and lettuce is prolific for about 2-3 weeks before going to seed in the Missouri heat. However, aside from cutting up the stems in stir fry, I haven't found a good way to cook it that my wife and I both enjoy. I didn't like it cooked in oil like spinach and the stems can make stir fry very pungent if I add too many. What do you do? I hate having all this abundance and nothing to use it for!

Offline cohutt

• non semper erit aestas
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Don't Give Up Your Keys
    • Behind cohutt's Fence
« Reply #91 on: August 09, 2013, 04:59:19 AM »
Yeah, I hear you on new things, it keeps the curiosity up which keeps the attention span up lol

Ground cherries- I planted Aunt Mollie's in 2010 and nature has planted them every year since, although they have moved from the original area to the back edges of the yard.  Mrs cohutt never really warmed up to them as a planned planting en masse but now that we have "wild" ones we both snack on them and sort of consider them "pet plants", not really sure where they will appear each year.  They earn their spot as volunteers, if they sprout they stay ;)

Offline cohutt

• non semper erit aestas
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
    • Behind cohutt's Fence
« Reply #92 on: August 15, 2013, 05:08:43 AM »
bushel basket & apple gourds coming along

soybean "envy" /edamame

First eggplant I've ever grown.  Man the flea beetles love the leaves of this thing

Slow start but harvest is steady now

Although my spacing this year is so tight I have to step outside the fence just to change my mind (ba-da-bing)

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #93 on: August 15, 2013, 07:28:18 AM »
I'm very jealous of your beautiful tomatoes... I bought plants at the local HD this year (no chance to start my own during construction), and so far 75% have come up with that curly-leaf fungus. I'm getting ready to rip out another plant.

Offline cohutt

• non semper erit aestas
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
    • Behind cohutt's Fence
« Reply #94 on: August 24, 2013, 07:06:05 AM »
Cool August so far, tomato and Asian long bean production has ramped like it is mid September. geez, more feet of beans on the vines than there are feet of vines now.

Offline cohutt

• non semper erit aestas
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
    • Behind cohutt's Fence
« Reply #95 on: September 17, 2013, 08:12:46 PM »
Sweet potatoes with a couple more hills to go yet

Been busy with this and other things, so not much updating lately. 

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #96 on: September 18, 2013, 10:30:07 AM »
OMG. I am very jealous of your sweet potato harvest...

Offline cohutt

• non semper erit aestas
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
    • Behind cohutt's Fence
« Reply #97 on: September 18, 2013, 06:59:57 PM »
two more buckets tonight and the harvest is complete.  I weighed them all a minute ago

164 lbs

:)
« Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 07:11:56 PM by cohutt »

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #98 on: September 22, 2013, 12:11:02 AM »
Maybe next year... I did just plant garlic today... hoping for a good harvest next summer. My rutabagas are doing great, too.

Offline cohutt

• non semper erit aestas
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
    • Behind cohutt's Fence
« Reply #99 on: September 22, 2013, 11:19:27 AM »
too early for garlic here yet but I have my seed stock from last year ready as well as some new varieties to try here in the land of pretend winters (lately anyway)

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #100 on: September 22, 2013, 11:25:57 AM »
Glad you said you had a late season too. Makes me feel a bit better about my garden this year.

Cedar

Offline cohutt

• non semper erit aestas
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
    • Behind cohutt's Fence
« Reply #101 on: September 23, 2013, 05:40:40 PM »
This was a goofy year for sure. 
In July I really didn't think there was a chance in hell I would be sick of processing tomatoes by september.
I am, for the record. :)

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #102 on: September 24, 2013, 09:54:33 PM »
I would love to be sick of processing tomatoes... we have virtually none. I have one remaining plant that gives us a few rather small tomatoes every few days, but certainly not enough to worry about storing... we're lucky if we have enough for salads. I think our climate here is a bit different than the climate in Georgia, even though we aren't really much north of where we lived there... but the altitude is higher and the dryness and wind makes a difference, too. Our local feed store said on/around Sept. 25 is the optimum garlic planting time around here.

I am continuing to get a nice crop of zucchini and peppers...

Offline BassManNate

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #103 on: September 25, 2013, 06:17:19 PM »
I'm planning on planting sweet potatoes for the first time next year but your pictures above have me a bit worried about storage. How on earth do you store those long enough to eat them without them sprouting all over the place? I suppose it's not the problem it is with regular potatoes since the whole thing can be eaten.

Offline cohutt

• non semper erit aestas
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
    • Behind cohutt's Fence
« Reply #104 on: September 25, 2013, 07:33:02 PM »
I would love to be sick of processing tomatoes... we have virtually none. I have one remaining plant that gives us a few rather small tomatoes every few days, but certainly not enough to worry about storing... we're lucky if we have enough for salads. I think our climate here is a bit different than the climate in Georgia, even though we aren't really much north of where we lived there... but the altitude is higher and the dryness and wind makes a difference, too. Our local feed store said on/around Sept. 25 is the optimum garlic planting time around here.

I am continuing to get a nice crop of zucchini and peppers...

You'll get it figured out, I know that much.  :)

I am the only gardener I know of who can't grow Zucchini for $h!t.  Vine borers. boo.

Offline cohutt

• non semper erit aestas
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
    • Behind cohutt's Fence
« Reply #105 on: September 25, 2013, 07:38:46 PM »
I'm planning on planting sweet potatoes for the first time next year but your pictures above have me a bit worried about storage. How on earth do you store those long enough to eat them without them sprouting all over the place? I suppose it's not the problem it is with regular potatoes since the whole thing can be eaten.
They will actually keep as well or better than regular potatoes imho.

They have just been curing up on the back porch.   After a couple weeks (ie this weekend) they will be moved to the cooler, dark, dug basement where they should be good for months.  I just need to construct a quick galvanized hardware cloth "cabinet" to keep the occasional vermin from nibbling on them.

Offline cohutt

• non semper erit aestas
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
    • Behind cohutt's Fence
« Reply #106 on: October 20, 2013, 06:25:45 AM »
the tasty fall stuff is doing well so far this season

the kiwis first summer was a slow start but one of the 2 females and the male pollinator have put up pretty decent primary vines with a little assistance from me cutting off secondary growth every couple of weeks.
Sample:

Okra was terribly late starting (cool wet soil until mid june = no germination) but once it started it did well.  A couple of weeks ago we decided we had enjoyed as much okra as we cared to  and i decided I'd let the plants do what they wanted until frost.  The just keep growing (10, 11 + feet now) and putting our more pods, which left alone get big enough to tip the stalk.   The apple gourd vines came back to life and is making an attempt to jump the fence into the okra "grove".

first frost is still likely a couple or three weeks out but could hit at any time really.