Author Topic: SKL's Raised Beds  (Read 2885 times)

Offline SKL

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
SKL's Raised Beds
« on: January 22, 2013, 02:14:24 PM »
My husband built these beds for me 4 years ago and they have performed wonderfully. The original soil mix was from the Square Foot Gardening book: 1/3 compost, 1/3 vermiculite, 1/3 peat moss. Since then the boxes lose about 2-3 inches per year so I continually make more compost with kitchen scraps, leaves, and 'whatever', using that to replenish the boxes every year or two. This year I also bought multiple bags of compost to add a new layer of that to the boxes. The front row of boxes are 4x4x12 and the back ones are 4x8x12. The back trellises have also been very useful.

Offline SKL

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Re: SKL's Raised Beds - first season, 2008
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2013, 02:17:03 PM »
And here is a photo from that first year which was had a very fruitful harvest (and an abundance of good weather and rain).
This last summer, 2012, was not a very successful year for the garden in spite of lots of watering. Too hot, too dry. Hopefully this year will be better. I have lots of new seeds waiting to try, especially new tomatoes and several new pepper varieties.

Offline SKL

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Re: SKL's Raised Beds - need help on photo problem please!
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2013, 02:19:55 PM »
I got one photo in on the first garden post with no problem, but the second one wouldn't go on with it. So I tried adding it to a reply. No, that didn't work either. Anybody know what I'm doing wrong? I did them both in the same way, selecting the img tag then adding the url location in the middle. Can I not add more than one photo? And can I not add a photo in a reply?

Offline Skunkeye

• Dedicated Contributor
Re: SKL's Raised Beds
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2013, 02:37:20 PM »
In the second post, the URL you're using is to a page on Google Plus, not the image file itself.  You need to use the URL of just the image, so go to the page, right click on the image, and choose "Copy Image Location" or "Copy Image URL" or whatever variation of that your browser uses.  Then paste that into the img tag.

Beautiful garden, by the way!

Offline SKL

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2013, 02:43:16 PM »
Thank you so much, Skunkeye. After reading your post here I realized what and how I did that and now know what to do. I'd still be floundering around clueless without your post.  :)

Offline SKL

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Re: SKL's Raised Beds and SWC's
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2013, 03:04:02 PM »
And here is a photo from that first year which was had a very fruitful harvest (and an abundance of good weather and rain).

This last summer, 2012, was not a very successful year for the garden in spite of lots of watering. Too hot, too dry. Hopefully this year will be better. I have lots of new seeds waiting to try, especially new tomatoes and several new pepper varieties.
Some of the tomato harvest from that first year

After that year I planted fewer tomatoes and still get plenty. I gave buckets full to family and friends that summer. I think I had about 20 tomato plants.
I also do plenty of container gardening using a variety of SWC's (self watering containers) with Earthboxes being my favorite. I try to add one a year. They are very rugged and have held up to the weather very well. Some of the other ones have not fared well. The plastic has broken down after just one or two seasons making them not worth the money. Bob made a wonderful platform in the front yard for the container garden.

We made a few SWC's from kitty litter containers and they worked well, but now I'm wondering about the wisdom of using that kind of plastic. I may redo them with food grade containers if I can get some free ones. And also in this photo you can see some very tall tomato supports. Lowes Hardware had these and I bought a bunch. The work very well and have held up fairly well for 3 seasons now. Being straight and tall they support the plants better without being as topheavy as the wire cages. These are 3 rods with 9 short joiner pieces that snap on wherever you want them to stabilize them and add growing support to the plants.

And there is the community garden just down the street where I have 3 plots.

I prefer just growing in my yard, but most things have to be the sunny side of the house or the front yard because of the 2 large dogs in the fenced back yard. They wouldn't stay out of stuff and I'd have to fence even more yard off. Fences within fences. :-\
So that's how my garden is growing so far.

this was edited based on Skunkeye's help so I could add the picture the correct way. Thank you Skunkeye for the help!

Offline Skunkeye

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2013, 11:10:40 PM »
You're welcome.

Man, I would kill for a tomato harvest like that!  I've had what you might charitably call "mixed results" with tomatoes.

Offline cohutt

• non semper erit aestas
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Don't Give Up Your Keys
    • Behind cohutt's Fence
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2013, 05:35:55 AM »
Nice set up. :)