Author Topic: RDG's Garden 2012  (Read 2085 times)

Offline rdg

• Prepper
    • Weekend Homestead
RDG's Garden 2012
« on: January 10, 2013, 07:08:52 PM »
Hello all,

I wanted to show a before and after of my square foot garden this year to show the growth of the plants during the year.

Below is the garden at the beginning of the season.

I have used numbers to explain what will be growing where. 1) Early in the season the tomatoes and peppers are the tallest plants in the garden because they were started indoors and transplanted. 2) This is the asparagus bed. 3) This bed will contain bush beans, herbs, radishes and watermelons. 4) This area will grow Mongolian Giant Sunflowers. 5) This grow box will have bush beans and pickling cucumbers. 6) This bed will have pickling cucumbers, watermelons, nasturtiums and zinnias. 7) Strawberry in a container.

And here is the garden at the end of the growing season.

I think it is amazing how much the plants grow in one season and how the spacious aisles at the beginning of the season are cramped at the end.

These images are from a post I did:

http://weekendhomestead.net/posts/square-foot-garden-photo-essay/

-RDG

Offline ForgedPatriot

• Senior Survivalist
  • Scaring the general public since 68'
Re: RDG's Garden 2012
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2013, 07:38:44 PM »
Thanks for posting! My wife and I have a SFG in the back yard, and have been able to grow cucumbers in the past. Thats all we really tried (neither of us are green thumbs), but we are adding on this year and getting serious about it. We got the SFG book and another book on Organic vegetable gardening in Texas. We are looking forward to a Spring garden. Do you use Heirloom seeds and grow most of your seedlings inside first and then transplant?

Offline rdg

• Prepper
    • Weekend Homestead
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2013, 08:44:44 PM »
ForgedPatriot,

My cucumbers had a rough year this year. They got overwhelmed by cucumber beetles. I will have to make plans to deal with these pests next year. The two previous years, I had more cucumbers than I could eat from two vines.

I do start my tomatoes and peppers indoors every year. It is a good winter project to set up a seed starting station of some kind. All you really need is a fluorescent light and some space.

RE: seeds

I like to use heirloom seeds. My favorite seed company is Seed Savers Exchange.

There website is: http://www.seedsavers.org/

I am also ordering from Baker Creek and have ordered from High Mowing Organic in the past. See this post for more info.

http://weekendhomestead.net/posts/favorite-seed-catalogs/

Offline cohutt

• non semper erit aestas
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Don't Give Up Your Keys
    • Behind cohutt's Fence
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2013, 08:47:19 PM »
Always amazing how much space you think is there at planting time and so little space is left at harvest time.