Author Topic: Is it just me or....  (Read 5685 times)

Offline Uncreate

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Is it just me or....
« on: December 31, 2012, 04:28:23 AM »
Is it just me or does it seem that people are missing the spirit of the 13 skills challenge? I see so many completed already and yet it's still 2012!!! Kudos for getting started early, but really folks just because you have been doing something your entire life, then c'mon pick a new skill!!!
"The 13 in 13 Challenge is a call to develop or drastically improve your personal skills in the coming year."
That isn't something that you do in a few weeks time. If you are a world class IT professional then why not try your hand at bush crafting? or basket weaving? If you are already an expert in your field then why choose that skill? What so you can say, "Look at this its January 1, 2013, and I have completed the 13 in 13 Challenge!" If that's the case then, sorry no one is impressed and you have only cheated yourself.

Why does this agitate me far more than it should you ask? Simply for the fact that it goes against everything I personally feel this challenge stands for. These people are not challenging themselves, they are simply putting up what they already know how to do and calling it good.
In that spirit please join with us in making 2013 a year of personal growth and improvement.
How have you kept in the spirit of things by doing this? You have made no self improvement or personal growth. I know this doesn't apply to everyone, but to those that it does apply, SHAME ON YOU!

Now if you feel as I do, and truly wish to improve yourself, then stand up, be heard, and challenge yourself!

/rant

For all of us who are challenging ourselves keep up the good work! I love to read all of your adventures in becoming a more self-reliant and independent individual!

EOTS

Re: Is it just me or....
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2012, 06:36:37 AM »
It's not just you. However, the site is still in its "infancy," and I think as the months go by, the results (goals accomplished) will morph somewhat.

First off, people will drop out. They just will. Some of it will be lack of follow through, but also, things just happen. Life gets in the way of our plans.

For those who do stick with it, I think there will be a lot more "in progress" for a lot longer. I made a big dent in one of my goals this week. Actually, I was surprised at how big a dent I was able to  make in one day. While reflecting on that, it really sunk in that the accomplishment in that particular goal wouldn't be something as simple as completing a task -- the accomplishment would actually be sticking with the small incremental tasks that would be required over the course of the year.

Anyway, I think that as more of us keep working towards our goals and keep updating, the tenor of the project will shift.

That said...I kind of wish there was a sort of graphic that would give visitors to the site a quick, visual snapshot of "goals set" "goals in progress" "goals accomplished" kind of thing. I am sharing this site pretty often (I'm very stoked about the whole idea). Sending people to the home page has gotten little response. Uploading a picture of *us* (we registered as a family) and sending people to our profile page has gotten a little more excitement. I'm blogging, too...we'll see how people respond as the updates add up.

Offline UrbanizedFarmboy

• Fledgling Prepper
  • Have been actively preparing since 2008
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2012, 03:05:46 PM »
I totally agree with your observation, I don't think that people really understand what this is all about.  I started early, however, I also picked more than 13.  I understand that sometimes you have to work with schedules and knock something out like my Tech Class License.  I believe that some people think that baking one loaf of bread achieves the goal of being a baker.  I hope that people think about the whole purpose behind this 13 in 2013, and really use it for self-development and stretching the envelope in 2013.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2012, 08:00:43 PM »
I picked things in order to push my skills and knowledge to new levels and I have not even started on them yet. I figure I will be able to start on a couple of them in a few weeks.

Cedar

Offline Nicodemus

• HooHa Man! AKA Docs Whipping Boy
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Wake up and smell the cat food n your bank account
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2012, 08:50:49 PM »
A similar topic to this one has already been Dead Threaded.

Some of these folks that have already completed a goal or two may go on to take that skill to higher levels than they could have possibly imagined when first signing on.

My question, whether a person goes on to complete much harder skills or sticks with smaller skills would be, "Isn't it possible to learn a skill quickly that makes a person's life better?"

I know my father taught me how to change a car tire in about 20 minutes when I was very young and that skill has served me time and time again.

Some of these folks that have already completed a goal or two may have their eyes on fifty more skills that improve their lives no matter how easy or difficult. They could intertwine with and add to the previous skills to allow themselves to go on to bigger and better things.

I know that a short time after learning to change a tire my father taught me how to check all the fluid levels in a car. That lesson took about an hour. Some time afterward my father taught me how to change the oil, change spark plugs, replace an alternator, work on the brakes and many more car maintenance skills that have served me well to this day. All of that probably took a couple of days all told and included some refresher courses later on. With those learned skills, as easy as most were, I also learned how a car worked, how an amazing amount of tools worked and increased my problem solving skills.

On the other hand, some folks may have picked a skill that, in actuality, might take a lifetime to complete. Do you want them to come on here and bust your nuts for finishing a skill on December 31, 2013 because you picked something easier than they did?
« Last Edit: December 31, 2012, 09:00:36 PM by Nicodemus »

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2012, 09:02:51 PM »
Some of these folks that have already completed a goal or two may have their eyes on fifty more skills that improve their lives no matter how easy or difficult. They could intertwine with and add to the previous skills to allow themselves to go on to bigger and better things.

One of my 'hobby groups' has had a challenge happening since May 2007 to be completed by May 2015. They ask you to take one of the Three Kinds of Challenges:
The Depth Challenge -

*50 of any one type of thing, in order to push your skills and knowledge to new levels (how broadly you define this is up to you)

The Breadth Challenge
*do/make/learn 50 new and different things (how new, and how different is up to you),

The Persona Challenge - 
*making/learning 50 different things that your persona would know, have, or know how to do...

So yeah Nic, I can see this easily intertwined with what you just said.
Cedar

Offline Uncreate

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2012, 09:35:39 PM »
Nic, you have obviously missed the point of what i said, for that im sorry, allow me to clarify.

Goal: CCW *COMPLETED*
I have had my CCW For five years.

Goal: Computer Skills *COMPLETED*
I have a masters in computer science I am IT god...

Goal: Fitness *Completed*
(no goal listed oh and I just signed up yesterday...)

See where im going with this? I have no problem with someone choosing a skill that is easy to learn, ie. changing a tire, but dont pick it and say my dad taught me when I was seven. Thats not what the spirit of the challenge is. I am not busting anyones nuts for completing challenges, I am however calling them out on not grasping the spirit of the challenge...

thank you have a good day and Happy New Year!

*edit* I also looked at the other thread and no they were bashing on the "ease" of others skills. Like I said this is about the Spirit of the challenge. see my examples above...

Offline Nicodemus

• HooHa Man! AKA Docs Whipping Boy
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Wake up and smell the cat food n your bank account
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2012, 11:13:07 PM »
I agree completely that folks should pick skills that they've not learned prior to signing up or in the very least that the skill they have chosen will improve the knowledge base and abilities that they already have. There is no point in picking skills just to check them off. I didn't Dead Thread the whole thing straightaway because you mentioned this.

However, I didn't let this thread ride without comment because the premise seemed to be couched in terms of time frames, what appeared to me to be the assumption that speed of completion for some meant that some kind of majority had previously learned the skill, the skills chosen were too easy or that nothing could have been learned by this point that would provide personal growth and improvement. I probably wouldn't have commented at all, but some of the follow up posts started to tread into the above territory and that caused us to trash the previous thread.

To be sure, there are some folks who have picked skills that they already had. You can read it right in their challenge descriptions. My only comment is at least it was mentioned. I had a girlfriend that leaned on the damn bathroom doorknob when she weighed herself and wrote the subsequent scale reading on a calendar like it was truth. That didn't change or cheapen my achievements or what any other dieter was doing. It didn't even matter to me other than it made me laugh.

As an aside, Jack brought up 13 in 13 Skills Challenge about 2.3 months ago and some folks went to work directly.

Offline padre35

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2013, 05:26:55 PM »

Well, for me the thing is not "you must learn 13 skills in 2013"

Rather it is how many quality skills that can be learned and the..you know..used.

Learning the form is fine, implementing is far far more important.

I've read that a college education lasts 2 yrs, then it rusts in the field like equipment left to the elements, actual mastery on the other hand, takes thousands of hours.

Offline Louisiana Suvivor

• Can't Spell His Own Name
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • I'm back! I miss you too.
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2013, 04:06:45 PM »
i agree. it's so funny going to the completed section and looking at the various accounts that have "completed" things. i will NEVER complete any of my skills. no one can. EVER.

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Geese Smuggling Moonbat
  • Survival Veteran
  • There are no mistakes, just Learning Experiences
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2013, 04:12:34 PM »
Honestly, I picked 13 fairly easy skills.

but, I have 5 kids and my skills must needs be able to be done with them, around them or while homeschooling them.  You look at my list and you may think I have picked easy ones.  But I picked ones to my situation in life.

Were I single without kids, my skills - and the goals (oh I hate that word!) would look a whole lot different.

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2013, 04:31:29 PM »
i'm not saying that people shouldn't pick the "easy" skills. i just don't understand when i see: acct started today, 6 skills completed today. makes no sense and doesn't keep the spirit of the 13skills.

-and i would never think any mother as picking the easy skills. y'all have the hardest skill. parenting :)

Offline padre35

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2013, 07:02:46 PM »
i agree. it's so funny going to the completed section and looking at the various accounts that have "completed" things. i will NEVER complete any of my skills. no one can. EVER.

There is a difference between skills and mastery, one can be acquired fairly rapidly, the other does take a lifetime of practice to try and obtain.

Offline Moutainman15

• Prepper
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2013, 06:51:51 PM »
Uncreate,
I totally agree with what you are saying! I think we are taking a skill learning challenge and turning it into a goal setting challenge and some are cheating, themselves mainly!
I picked skills or goals that dovetail into my personal life. The reason I signed up for the 13 skills is because it made me sit down and really think about how I was going to get these things done. For example I've been wanting to make knives with some bones from a deer I shot, but I don't know a thing about knife making. So knife making is on my list and my "completion" will be when I get all the knives finished. I won't be a blade smith but that is not what the point of this 13 skills is about. It is not to master any one skill but rather to put down as a priority. As I was picking my skills I had to stop because I wanted to keep clicking on things! I have a tendency to go after a lot of stuff which bogs me down! This made me focus on just 13, ok maybe I threw a few extra in there!
At any rate what this challenge has done for me is let me prioritise what I want to do with my next year.
My past year I spent working out of town to make me financially better off for what is coming down the road. This year I fear we are close to hitting the fan and don't want to leave my wife alone!
My skills/goals are going to take place throughout the year so it will be a very gratifying thing to make those knives, harvest 15 chickens, start a taxidermy business!!

Lets not cheat, pick skills that you don't know how to do, or want to become much better at!! I am a carpenter and taxidermist and want to become better at them but it is not a challenge to become better because those are my passions that I do everyday! I picked things that I usually never make time for!! When I complete them I will be much better off at this time next year!! I think that is what this challenge is about, doing something over the year that helps us live that independent life!!

Offline Shooter McCool

• Prepper
  • Cool story bro.
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2013, 04:37:18 PM »
I totally see what the op is saying. But if I were to pick electrical (I'm an electrician) I would like to find something to improve on in that capacity instead of saying in my goal description " I've done this my whole life so, goal complete."

Offline Gene.243

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2013, 06:07:02 PM »
I think the "early completed skills" are areas that people may want to consider mentoring others.  This idea like any good one is living it's life and needs to evolve.  Maybe add an area for mentors.
Gene

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2013, 03:01:32 PM »
I totally see what the op is saying. But if I were to pick electrical (I'm an electrician) I would like to find something to improve on in that capacity instead of saying in my goal description " I've done this my whole life so, goal complete."

That's what I'm doing too. I'm still an apprentice and I have tons to improve on. I know guys that are retiring soon that still learn everyday

Offline SKL

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2013, 02:59:22 PM »
Yes, I noticed some of those 'completed' goals and thought it odd too. It's interesting to see another side of that presented here for at least some of those. I picked mostly things that would be an ongoing process, some that I may just research and then decide not to actually implement (like aquaponics because I may find that it's too expensive or just won't fit our home and lifestyle right). I think there is only one that I could say, yes, this is finished and I completed the goal. I love to learn and try new things and chose accordingly.

Offline Tiderian

• Prepper
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2013, 03:19:21 PM »
I picked areas that I don't already know, but I also chose a goal that I know I can realistically complete. I saw it as a place to list tasks that lead you toward mastery. Obviously, you can never really mark a goal like "carpentry" as finished, because there is always something else to learn. Maybe I misread how this was supposed to be done...

Offline Moutainman15

• Prepper
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2013, 04:46:48 PM »
I picked areas that I don't already know, but I also chose a goal that I know I can realistically complete. I saw it as a place to list tasks that lead you toward mastery. Obviously, you can never really mark a goal like "carpentry" as finished, because there is always something else to learn. Maybe I misread how this was supposed to be done...

I don't think it is a wrong way to do it as long as you are learning a new skill. I'm a carpenter that has little experience in framing ( I got lucky and walked right into finish)!!
If my goal was to learn more about framing then I think that would have been fine even it is in the field I already work in, I'd still have to learn new skills.
I think if you pick a goal just cause it is listed and you happen to already know how to do it and you mark it complete you are cheating yourself cause you are not learning a new skill.