Author Topic: Dehydration, kidney stones, and me so stupid...  (Read 4460 times)

Joel

Dehydration, kidney stones, and me so stupid...
« on: July 01, 2013, 09:05:53 PM »
It's been quite hot here in the high desert all through the month of June. I thought I was paying enough attention to hydration, but wasn't even getting it half right.

This morning I came down from the loft same as always, and a few minutes into my day I experienced terrible pain. Felt like somebody had stabbed me in the side, and it only got worse. Pain radiated through my guts and groin. I got weak, dizzy.

After a couple of hours, when it didn't get better and didn't kill me, I finally called a neighbor for help. We've got a great little neighbor network out here. Nobody's coming with an ambulance if you're sick or injured, and everybody needs help with something sometime, so we stick together. There's always somebody you can call.

My neighbor drove me to the clinic in the little town nearest where we live. By the time we got there I was incoherent with pain and couldn't walk under my own power. My blood pressure was so low the nurse had a terrible time finding a vein for the IV. The doctor, who'd pretty much decided my problem was a kidney stone, wanted to know if I had blood in my urine but it took two IV bags and two bottles of water before I could raise a pathetic trickle. I was really dehydrated.

And I really had been congratulating myself for paying attention to drinking water. But the heat and lack of humidity just snuck up on me this summer.

So now I'm back home, surrounded by painkillers, kidney meds, and water bottles. Our well water is so hard it's practically crunchy with calcium. Two different neighbors showed up with commercial bottled water, lemonade mix, and stern admonitions.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
Re: Dehydration, kidney stones, and me so stupid...
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2013, 09:23:52 PM »
I have had two, so I know how you feel. Drink, drink, drink, drink.. and walking seemed to help actually for me. Throw up.. walk.. throw up ...walk.. drink another gallon of water..

Get better soon.  :(

Cedar

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2013, 10:09:22 PM »
Joel, so sorry to hear about that. My husband had a bout of that last summer when we were working on the foundation of our house... hot sun, hard work, not enough water...

I hope it passes quickly...

Offline janinec

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2013, 04:16:00 AM »
That is really tough, it is so easy to get dehydrated. Perhaps think of a few strategies to remind you to think, a regular timer, each time you change tools, go to the lou, etc etc A natural remedy for kidney stones admittably one that is very bitter is to drink a quart of chamomile that has been infused in water. Take an ounce of chamomile and pour over boiling water, let sit over night and drink it, it will be EXTREMELY BITTER but it will break up the stones. Im studying herbalism so I am quite confident about this remedy. Take care and feel better soon.

Janine

Offline MaddoginMass

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2013, 07:06:43 AM »
I had kidney stones 15 years ago.  I was also severely dehydrated.  Now, whenever I feel a twinge in my back, I panic and down a quart of water.  I do not want to go through that again. 

That being said, I drink a lot more water now than I used to.  In the past I would not drink the entire day except at lunch.  Now I have water at my desk at all times.

Offline Mr. Bill

• Like a hot cocoa mojito
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • Trained Attack Sheepdog/Troll hunter
    • Website Maintenance and Online Presence Management by Mr. Bill
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2013, 10:35:16 AM »
Get better ASAP, Joel.

Offline Barton

• Survivor
  • Quail Daddy
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2013, 02:35:21 PM »
I learned the same lesson the hard way.  They made me pass a 5mm stone.  Only want to do that once in a life time!

Hope you feel better soon.

Offline RitaRose1945

• Survival Veteran
  • Asking the uncomfortable questions since 1964
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2013, 03:30:43 PM »
Jay gets really big ones too, and I definitely feel for you.  They can bring a grown man to the fetal position on the floor.

I hope this is a rare occurrence.

Offline cheryl1

• Survival Demonstrator
    • Russell Honey
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2013, 03:48:41 PM »
If you don't need to pee then you aren't drinking enough :)

MightyRunt

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2013, 04:40:15 PM »
Owie! Take care and recover quickly.

Offline PatriotGal

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2013, 01:01:05 PM »
Here's a little story that may help you and possibly others in the future.  My husband used to get kidney stones on a regular basis; almost yearly and sometimes twice a year.  We did some research and it boiled down to some do's and dont's. 

First the dont's:  Cut way back on cheese, no caffeine, no soda, no orange juice, no grapefruit juice. 

Do's: drink lots of water, drink lots of lemonade. 

We did this and he hasn't had a kidney stone for over 10 years.  Last winter he got a seasonal job at a resort and started drinking coke again to stay awake through the wacky hours he was working and "BAM" kidney stone, a huge one that required Lithotripsy.

Made believers out of us!

Offline BlueHound

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Non Timebo Mala
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2013, 01:56:27 PM »
Here's a little story that may help you and possibly others in the future.  My husband used to get kidney stones on a regular basis; almost yearly and sometimes twice a year.  We did some research and it boiled down to some do's and dont's. 

First the dont's:  Cut way back on cheese, no caffeine, no soda, no orange juice, no grapefruit juice. 

Do's: drink lots of water, drink lots of lemonade. 

We did this and he hasn't had a kidney stone for over 10 years.  Last winter he got a seasonal job at a resort and started drinking coke again to stay awake through the wacky hours he was working and "BAM" kidney stone, a huge one that required Lithotripsy.

Made believers out of us!

I had kidney stones 12 years ago.  It was the worst pain I've ever felt.  I layed in bed flopping around like a fish, writhing in pain.  My doctor told me to cut way back on almonds, sweet tea (iced tea for you northerners), brown-colored sodas, and chocolate (I can't live without chocolate).  Apparently the brown coloring in those things contribute to the formation of the most common type of kidney stones.  I used to drink sweet tea or soda a couple of times a day, but now I don't touch the stuff.  And I drink LOTS of water.