Author Topic: Dealing with/ Recovering from Back Pain  (Read 17103 times)

Offline Byno

• Prepper
Re: Dealing with/ Recovering from Back Pain
« Reply #30 on: June 16, 2013, 03:40:47 AM »
Just gunna add my two cents. im gunna try to make it short. Ive had chronic lower back pain for the past 3 years. started when i was in the Marine Corps from haulin around all that weight (full combat loads, sea bag drags, log runs, etc.) I was told by the VA that it was all in my head, or stress, or PTSD, or my hypothyroidism, or because i was an alcoholic, etc. etc. i went to the emergency room half a dozen times in less than a year because i would wake up in tears and unable to move at all. after i stopped drinking i found out that one of the benefits was that my spasms went away. i still had alot of pain though. started getting massages. that would only work for the first two days after each one and then the pain was right back. i finally went to see a physical therapist. ive been doing two different exercises and they seem to ease the pain a lot and i have increased my flexibility significantly. finally my best friend is a lumbar support tool which i like to call a rolled up towel. every seat i sit in, including in my truck, i use a small rolled up towel in the small of my back and it gives me instant relief. i am still taking vicodin but it is only on days that i have had a hard night at work and cant move the next day. im hoping soon that i will not have to take it at all. and im hoping the physical therapy works out in the end and i wont have to get an MRI. but anyway that rolled up towel works wonders. they sell lumbar support things on amazon and brookstone but a towel does the same thing and for free.

Offline cheryl1

• Survival Demonstrator
    • Russell Honey
« Reply #31 on: June 16, 2013, 07:18:30 PM »
You have that much pain and have never had an MRI?  :o

Offline Stachys

• Prepper
  • Winter is coming.
« Reply #32 on: June 16, 2013, 08:17:04 PM »
Since you asked for an herbal treatment for your disc problem, I'll share one that I've had success with while treating friend of mine with a similar issue.
I learned it from Jim Mcdonald.  The link to his website is here...http://www.herbcraft.org/seedsstems.html
The formula is under the Solomon's Seal link. Also check out the 'herbs for back pain' link.
Whatever you choose to do, I wish you the best.

Offline Samuel Fairlane

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #33 on: June 16, 2013, 09:25:39 PM »
Plus one on the ICE. I got rearended Tuesday. I took a ice bath and had instant relief.

Offline Byno

• Prepper
« Reply #34 on: June 16, 2013, 09:35:23 PM »
cheryl they never gave me an MRI because the VA sucks and kept on making excuses on why my back hurt. they did an x-ray but didnt find anything so they said i was making it up or it was in my head bla bla bla. they didnt even offer to send me to physical therapy they just wanted to shove pills down my throat. at 21 years old i was taking 7 different medications and some i was taking 2 or three times a day. including a narcotic. and 2 anti-depressants. i got fed up with it. started having suicidal thoughts which i never ever ever had in the past even with my PTSD at its peak right after my deployment from Marjah, Afghanistan. i completely stopped all my medication without my doctors opinion and felt better within a day or two. (aside from being in physical pain) i finally went to a civilian doctor a couple months ago because i dont want to get addicted to vicodin considering i finally rid myself from my addiction to alcohol. ive been alcohol free for a year and 2 months now. i have friends that are addicted to vicodin and it is not pretty. i dont want that. so i only take it on my worst days. anyway... my new doctor said that if the PT works then they wont do an MRI (which are 46% inaccurate anyway) but if it doesnt work then they will go ahead and do one. so far its working and i feel like im 19 again.

Offline cheryl1

• Survival Demonstrator
    • Russell Honey
« Reply #35 on: June 17, 2013, 12:44:27 PM »
Congrats on being sober:) the VA not ever doing an MRI does surprise me though. My dad had back pain and the MRI showed the problem, he had outpatient surgery, and is fine now. He's a vet but doesn't go to the VA because he gets better care elsewhere

Offline Samuel Fairlane

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #36 on: June 17, 2013, 01:15:39 PM »
Another plus one for the va being worse than useless. It took me six months to get an mri after I came home with two fractured vertebrae.  I have been getting injections at a spine clinic. I heard that the va is now doing injections so I asked if I could get the injections at the va. They told me that they could not start with the injections. I would have to start all over with PT and jump thru a bunch of hoops, try a bunch of drugs, before they could give me injections. Of course They were quick to offer me some drugs, with no strings. This why I want to pull my hair out when I hear people talk about how awesome government run health care will be!!

Offline ttubravesrock

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Born to be an Alaskan
« Reply #37 on: June 17, 2013, 07:14:21 PM »
Here's my take.

1. Lose weight. Obviously, your back will be strained less if it carries less.
2. Stretch/Yoga. Gain strength by stretching and yoga instead of lifting. The bulk of back injuries are caused by a lack of core strength. Increase your core strength to match your leg strength and you will not even try to lift things improperly anymore.

Offline Byno

• Prepper
« Reply #38 on: June 18, 2013, 04:23:19 AM »
thanks cheryl! i definitely feel healthier bein sober but i do miss it hahaha.

I hate going to the VA. no one knows what the heck is going on half the time. and really all they want to do is medicate people. they dont want to find the actual problem they just want to cover up the pain. and they talk to everyone like children.... or an old deaf person... yes most of us have hearing problems but you dont have to treat me like a naive child. i know what hurts... for the most part i know what the heck is wrong with me. tell me what i need to do heal the pain, not what i can take to make it feel better.

sorry for the rant. anyway. these are all great suggestions. i like the yoga comment. some of the stretches i do remind me of and probably are yoga positions/stretches... i need to pull out my P90X and start doing the yoga disk again haha.

Offline soccer grannie

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #39 on: June 19, 2013, 05:59:36 PM »
As far as VA medical care, we've had both good and bad experiences but mostly good. The primary care physician, DH was assigned to, is as good or better than any pcp I've dealt with. We've had no problems with the VA cardiologist. The staff for the pcp & cardiologist have always been great to work with, along with the social worker and pharmacist at the local VA clinic. It was a totally different story at the urology clinic because you see a different medical resident (intern) each time. Now he sees a private urologist and we keep the VA pcp updated on any meds or procedures done outside the VA.

Offline Ken325

• Survivalist Mentor
  • "Winter is Coming"
« Reply #40 on: June 20, 2013, 07:06:12 PM »
I used to work at the VA and it bothers me when I hear stories about bad care and abuse, but I know that it is true.  You have a lot of great people working at VA hospitals. The ones that are teaching hospitals have some of the top doctors who are professors at the medical schools.  The problem is it is very hard to fire a federal employee.  So, you get an incompetent or lazy nurse who plays cards all night and her patient is stone cold dead in the morning when the next nurse arrives.  Someone tries to write up the nurse, and then the union get involved.  The end result is the bad nurse is moved to an easier job or promoted to management to keep them from harming people.  I have seen this happen.  This could easily be fixed if you could remove bad employees. 

Offline Fyrediver

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #41 on: June 20, 2013, 07:35:11 PM »
I think all the advice here has been pretty good!  However, results may vary.  I was in a car accident 2 months ago and have been going through some of the same stuff others have been through:  whiplash, ribs separated from vertebra, severe back pain, constant headaches, muscle spasms, etc.

One thing to consider:  choose your medical providers carefully.  YOU are the boss not them.  This goes for your doctors, your massage therapist, physical therapist, chiropractor etc.  Make sure they know they are working for you and not the other way around.  Be willing to fire one of them and move on if you don't like how you're being treated.

I do EVERYTHING listed in previous posts but I'll add this: Heat before exercise & stretching or a really thorough sweaty warm up--preferably on an elliptical machine.  The elliptical really loosens up the lumbar region!  Swimming is another really good exercise that loosens up the low back.  Ice after working out or when inflamed. 

One caution on using an inversion table:  take it easy and go slow.  For every minute spent declined you should spend a minute level BEFORE you go right side up!  If you pop up from inverted to vertical you can easily pinch pieces of tissue & nerves between the vertebra when they "slam" back together.  You should start only slightly inverted and build up your tolerance to fully inverted.  I've known many people who caused major muscle spasms by going inverted too soon and then swung right side up and couldn't walk.  Got a great deal on my inversion table from one of those people!

Offline janinec

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #42 on: July 02, 2013, 04:20:29 AM »
From a herbalist point of view a ginger or turmeric fomentation will bring you wonderful relief. Take two quarts of water, put it in a pot, bring to boil and add an ounce of ginger or turmeric. Boil for around half an hour so you reduce the liquid by half. Then strain and put a tea towel into the liquid. It will be hot! Let it cool enough to be hot but not burning. Then wring it out and lay down, have some one place it on your back and then a towel, then a heat pack on that towel and then another towel on the heat pack. It will bring immediate and wonderful relief. You could also try another herb called cramp bark,  both as a fomentation and as a tincture. Herbs used in combination with manipulative therapies are a great combination.

Offline thekneepainguru

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #43 on: August 12, 2013, 07:50:03 AM »
I'm new to the forum and this post is several months old however I'd like to share my perspective.

Back pain/bulging discs in the back is a result of excess tension in the body which makes the disc bulge. Chiropractic is valuable and helpful in certain cases however the underlying cause of the tension pattern many times is not addressed. Think of the spine like a tent pole with tight ropes on it. The pole will bend in the direction of the tightest rope. We can push that pole straight however whenever we let the tension off the pole it will bend in the direction of the tightest rope again. This is why conventional chiropractic will need you to return several times/week over long period of time to correct an issue.

The fundamental cause is tension in the nervous system (aka tight ropes on the tent pole). If we begin to address the tension in the ropes the tent pole will straighten itself on its own. Your body knows how to heal itself. It just needs the conditions created for it to be able to do so...

I approach it in 3 steps:
1.) Mindset - beliefs we have create fear, doubts, and concerns about the body's ability to heal
2.) Setting up the conditions so the body can heal (Clean water, good food/paleo, and proper breathing/Systema) addresses the tension built up in the body and prevents it from healing
3.) Comfort - Training the body to understand what comfort is moves it from a Sympathetic (fight or flight) state to a Parasympathetic (rest & relaxed) state which is optimal for the body to heal and recover...

There are other steps after this however this is the foundation and must be met first in order to setup the optimal conditions for the body to heal...

Let me know if you have any questions...

Offline Samuel Fairlane

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #44 on: August 12, 2013, 08:19:12 PM »
I have found that proper thoracic extension has helped my back pain. I have been doing lightweight front and goblet squats. All most all of our daily activities round our back and shoulders causing musculature imbalance.  And now for my most extreme and controversial advice adopt a diet as written in Leviticus Unclean animals store toxins differently than true ruminants. I have been eating only clean since January and my joints feel awesome.