Author Topic: Dealing with/ Recovering from Back Pain  (Read 17150 times)

Offline Cooper

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Dealing with/ Recovering from Back Pain
« on: January 11, 2013, 09:43:24 AM »
Hi, I am 19 years old and am having back issues due to two bulged discs.  For a while I never paid it much attention because it didn't really slow me down and I always figured it would eventually heal.  Now, almost two years in, I have realized I need to try to do something about it.  Taking care of it is tough, because I live an active life working on a farm and sometime you just can't avoid strenuous labor.  Right now I see a chiropractor, but I am wondering if anyone had other suggestions for what has helped them.  Seeing as this is a very active community, I am sure there are many others dealing with this same issue.

Thanks,
Cooper

Offline DCAL

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
    • TruSolace
Re: Dealing with/ Recovering from Back Pain
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2013, 02:56:40 PM »
Well, as a Licensed Massage Therapist, I have a bit of a biased opinion but, chiropractic care combined with massage therapy is the ultimate combination for spinal/muscle care.  Now, of course I'm not talking about a 'fluff and buff' massage.  A truly therapeutic, probably deep tissue, probably somewhat painful (although not necessarily), massage after an adjustment will most likely provide you with significant relief.  The ABMP (Associated Massage and Bodywork Practitioners) and AMTA (American Massage Therapy Association) websites provide links to be able to find qualified practitioners near you.  Look for Deep tissue massage, sports massage, myofacial release practitioners.

http://www.abmp.com/home/#tab_public

http://www.amtamassage.org/findamassage/index.html

Unfortunately insurance may not cover it so if you need to be able to bill insurance a good physical therapist could be helpful as well.

Hope this helps!   :)

Offline livinitup0

• Survivalist Mentor
  • confrontational by design
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2013, 03:10:10 PM »
Ive always wondered if 50 years ago if there were nearly as many people with back problems as there are now. Youd think with working manual labor you'd have a strong back... i dunno... mine is starting to act up too but i have a desk job and dont workout nearly as much (or ever anymore) as I should.  Ive looked into massage therapy and chiropractors but the prices to go to one on a regular basis is completely out of the question... I have no idea how any normal person could afford one if insurance doesnt cover it considering they want you to go like once a week.

Offline Cooper

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2013, 05:59:58 AM »
I think people that are smart about physical labor usually have strong backs, but it really only takes one awkward or overly heavy object to completely skrew you up.  My problem was that I sat in school all day and then went and worked on the farm without any warm up.  It's so idiotic now that I think about it. But I was 17 and honestly never thought it was possible to chronically damage myself.  The chiropracter has really helped, but he is extremely expensive and I don't know how much longer I can go for that reason.  I am looking into more long term solutions such as maybe a combination of herbal remedies (Western Botanical) and something like yoga (although I would prefer not to).  My feeling is that the chiropracter can give me as many adjustment as he wants but an unhealthy, overworked body will just revert back to its same issues.  I hope that if I can keep the inflammation down and balance, strengthen, and stretch my muscles, I may have a chance at some long term relief.       

Offline Perfesser

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2013, 10:39:11 AM »
Try experimenting how you sleep. When I had a sore back I found sleeping on the love seat (head up, legs up) helped a lot.
Hammock?

Offline cheryl1

• Survival Demonstrator
    • Russell Honey
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2013, 10:50:46 AM »
Ibuprofen-scheduled every 6 hours, not just when you feel pain
Rest-no lifting over a gallon of milk
gentle, gentle stretches
Heat and Ice

Give it a couple of weeks, if no improvement then see a doctor.

If you start having ANY numbness or tingles anywhere on your body, or problems going to the bathroom, see a doctor ASAP.

Offline Cooper

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2013, 07:07:57 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions cheryl and perfesser!  I hope to take some time off to relax and let it heal.  Unfortunately it is hard to do when a growing farm business is depending on you...  In your experiences of back pain, was it more muscle spasms or bulged discs?  I have heard some people say that bulged discs can't be healed.

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Still trying to reason with hurricane season.
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2013, 08:03:25 PM »
I have some low back pain too, and my nurse sister-in-law put me onto the book "Pain Free."  Here's a link: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_0_9?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=pain+free&sprefix=pain+free%2Caps%2C177
It's sort of a DIY physical therapy guide.  For $10, it's way cheaper than any doctor visit, and it's helped me with all kinds of arm-shoulder-tendon problems.

The exercise from the book that helps my back the most (and again, this is low back pain, may not apply to you) is to (1) sit up straight on a chair, (2) stick a big pillow between my knees, and (3) squeeze the pillow hard 15 times.  Do this two or three times over the course of the day.  If I don't have a pillow handy, I just make fists and use those instead.  It actually makes my back/hips go *pop* about as well as any chiropractor ever did, and it gives me a lot of relief.  YMMV, but I hope this helps.

Offline hebert

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2013, 02:30:59 PM »
Yoga is great with the right instructor/style. Pull ups and hanging from a pull up bar have helped me a great deal.

Offline ChrisFox

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2013, 09:29:35 PM »
I saw a Ted talk about posture and got the lady's book. Seems to be working for me so far.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1luKAS_Xcg

http://www.amazon.com/Steps-Pain-Free-Back-Solutions-Shoulder/dp/0979303605

Offline Tyronedeblanco

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2013, 10:21:39 PM »
Stretching a LOT, Ab / core work as permissable, and a GREAT chiropracter.  I love my chiropracter and would rather go see him over any doctor any day.

Offline DebinMass

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2013, 08:02:51 AM »
You have my empathy, back pain is the worse.  Several years ago I spent 2 months lying on the floor with disk problems, although I still know I have something going on in my spine, I am 98% strong and healthy.   What finally got me up and going was combination of a chiropractor, massage, core strengthening and an inversion table. 

The inversion table was an amazing thing, on day 1, inverting for about 2 minutes,  it was awkward and a little scary, on day 2 I felt relief, but the end of the week I was inverting a couple of times a day for about 5 minutes each time and I was about 70% recovered.

When my back acts up, I get a massage and hang upside down; it may sound odd, but it stopped my pain.

One final comment, try to keep your body and core strong and your weight down.  A body in motion stays in motion

Feel Better - Deb

Offline TimSuggs

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2013, 10:56:53 PM »
Try experimenting how you sleep. When I had a sore back I found sleeping on the love seat (head up, legs up) helped a lot.
Hammock?

Sleeping in my recliner all but solved my back issues.  Not always "comfortable" and you can run into other issues with too, but cured my back pain for the most part.

Offline Shrekfingers

• Survivor
  • Been there, done that, have the T-shirt
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2013, 09:43:48 AM »
In January was plowing snow in my JD tractor, was scooting across the parking lot and hit a raised drain cover I forgot was there. Tractor stopped.. I didn't. I hit the windshield with my head and I now have severe shoulder, back and neck pain. I went to the Chiropractor and got adjusted and ultrasound.
I have since discovered the TENS units, they stimulate the muscles with low voltage between two pads. Combined with heating pad it has been a life saver for me,  pain basically goes away for longer periods after a TENS treatment. Well worth the 65.00.

http://www.otcwholesale.com/koalaty-ems7500kit.html

endurance

« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2013, 11:52:18 AM »
I haven't always been the most kind to my back.  When I was in my early 20s I had a bigger ego than my body could cash, so I'd try to one up coworkers twice my size by carrying two  80 pound bags of concrete while they carried one (I weighed 155 at the time).  As I got into my mid-30s I learned that those days didn't come without a price that I'd be paying for years.  However, I completely agree with DCAL regarding the value of massage therapy.  Strained muscles lead to inflammation which leads to impinged circulation to the disc which leads to the disc becoming dehydrated which ultimately leads to degenerative disc disorder.  Massage has become a twice a month treatment I can't live without.  I might be able to make it 3-4 weeks occasionally, but usually I'm in so much pain that I'm losing productivity at work and my sleep is suffering.  A good massage to me is like hitting Control-Alt-Delete and resetting everything.  Those muscles in spasm relax and the inflammation cycle is broken.

Also, IMHO, using heat on your back when it is inflamed is like putting gasoline on a forest fire.  ICE, ICE, ICE, until the inflammation is under control, then, with your practitioner's approval, maybe some heat.  Using heat in the first 72 hours of an injury is an invitation to disaster.

Offline Sonny

• Prepper
  • TSP Forum member
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2013, 09:21:51 PM »
I guess I am the "after" picture for this scenario.  Had a car accident, year of chiropractic, tens units, stretches, weight training all ended up with me in the ER plugged into a morphine drip because I couldn't walk.  Spinal surgery left me with a permanently numb leg, but mostly pain free. After the surgery the neurosurgeon gave me the news, no physical therapy for me, his prescription was to walk for an hour and a half every day.  I am now 5 years after surgery and have shed 40 lbs and have not stopped moving since.  If life gets in the way and I cannot walk or hike for a couple of days, the pain starts to creep back. It is a pretty good motivator.  I'll admit, I really like morphine ;D , but the pain sucked and I'm not going back there if I have anything to say about it.

Keep on moving until you can't, then find a great surgeon if your discs are impinging on your spinal cord.

Offline moblet

• Prepper
  • Not dead yet
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2013, 11:17:22 PM »
I am looking into more long term solutions such as maybe a combination of herbal remedies (Western Botanical) and something like yoga (although I would prefer not to).  My feeling is that the chiropracter can give me as many adjustment as he wants but an unhealthy, overworked body will just revert back to its same issues.
Your best chance for a fundamental long-term solution from manual structural intervention is osteopathy, preferably cranial osteopathy. It has the same roots as chiropractic, but the branches of the evolutionary tree diverged about 110 years ago; while chiropractic stayed focused on specific macro-level vertebral misalignment (i.e. subluxations), osteopathy pursued the body's entire structural system and developed a deep understanding of trauma along the way. A key difference in how they typically treat is that when observing the same misalignment a chiropractor will simply pop it back into place, whereas an osteopath will go looking for the imbalance that sustains the misalignment, and try to correct that instead. A key difference for the patient is that if it keeps popping back out of place they will be returning to chiropractor for acute care every week for the rest of their lives, whereas osteopathy can normally settle a problem down within say six visits and then it's just maintenance treatment after that. I have no idea how much difference they could make in your case since we don't know what's in play with your injury, but if they can't facilitate fundamental improvement they're likely to tell you so and unlikely to try to talk you into coming back to waste their time and your money.

I have suffered from fairly serious but subtle structural problems that have required long-term osteopathic treatment, so not everyone is lucky enough to get healed quickly, although most of us in that boat have significant systemic problems rather than a local injury. In my case cranial osteopaths are the only structural practitioners able to even recognise my problem, let alone treat it. I wasted a bit of money on chiropractors early on while they kept merrily popping things back into place without ever changing anything.

Finding the right kind of practitioner in the US can be a bit tricky since you have "osteopathic MD's" who don't do full-on manual medicine. Your best bet is starting with the Cranial Academy website; don't get too hung up about the spiel about the cranium, just know that the osteopaths who do cranial osteopathy are the most highly skilled.

Offline ag2

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Been fishin' lately?
    • My Startup Challenge
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2013, 11:25:45 PM »
Chances are good that all of us have had 10 different experiences and will provide 10 different recommendations.

Here is mine:
Strengthen your core.  I have a lower back disc that is flat.  I need surgery.  As long as I am doing proper crunches and keep a relatively flat stomach (avoid growing a pot belly) I can manage life without too much pain.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2013, 04:11:07 AM »
Ive always wondered if 50 years ago if there were nearly as many people with back problems as there are now.

Probably the same or more. You saw alot more people hunched and with canes I think. I do not nearly see as many people with canes now.

Cedar

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2013, 04:40:03 AM »
6-7 years ago I fell off a horse and landed extremely wrong. After being misdiagnosed for 60 days, I eventually found out I had taken #8, 9, 10 and 11 ribs off my spine and fractured the corresponding proximals. They had initially Xrayed me too high by half an inch or so. They eventually re-Xrayed me with a full back screen, 8 views. I had never broken anything before and the doctors were telling me I was a wimp and just had soft tissue trauma, so I believed them. In the meantime before I was correctly diagnosed, I TRIED to continue to do farm chores until my friends ended up caring for me and threatened to duct tape me to a chair. I am glad they did..

I breathed oddly for 2 years after that. I could only breathe shallow and then after about every 10 breaths or so took one long 'staggered and unsteady' deep breath. My left side back from my shoulder to mid back was visibly swollen through a sweatshirt and was always swollen and inflamed. If I pushed the limits for 2 years, it would get even more swollen and inflamed. Took me 5 months to walk without shuffling. I had to quit my job as a veterinary technician. I was on disability for 2 years.

What saved me was years of farm labor. I had muscle memory, I had a good core and I am stubborn. I still hurt like a ___________!!!!

What works for me for back pain is to try to lean as little as possible and find my limitations. Push to my limitation and know I may regret it later however. BALANCE! Like I can pack a 50 pound feed sack well balanced on my shoulder and one under my opposite arm just fine as the load is balanced, but leaning over a sink to do dishes will put me in dire pain in 4 minutes or less. To this day I cannot sit up and type. I actually lay almost completely down and type on my computer. Often on my side.

I cannot just get up from the floor anymore (I have a 3 year old, so I am on the floor alot), I have to move to my hands and knees and get up that way, so I have learned to compensate. I cannot carry my daughter in my arms, as that tends to fall into the catagory of leaning, but I can put her in an Ergo pack and with her sitting over my hips, I can do a 10+ mile hike with her. I literally garden from the seat of my pants, as I have to sit in the dirt to plant or weed, skootching along. You will have to come to a mutual agreement with you and your back and see what works for you.

Get a huge yoga ball (they make 2 sizes) and use that to sit on. When you are not sitting on it, lay upside down on it as far as you can go without falling over and watch a movie upside down for awhile. This will stretch your back out making gravity work for you. I try to avoid using drugs as much as possible, but when I have to use something, I take a Tylenol in conjuntion with an Advil. Generally I only take them when I have pushed well beyond the limits. I also take a FREEKING hot shower and stretch in the shower after the water has been running over my neck and back for a bit. I have also taken a board, put it at a 45 degree angle and hung out upside down that way too. Gravity also helps with this.

Swim.

When I was/am seriously hurting, I will also lay on the floor and put my legs up on a chair so that it makes my back eventually flatten out. Sometimes when I start, I have a 3 inch gap at the small of my back. After a bit my back relaxes and it flattens out. I will also lay on the floor with my knees up and my feet flat on the floor, grab a broomstick in both hands and twist. This helps relax your back too. They had me do this 3x a day when I was in PT.

Swim.

I used to do yoga before my injury. I was talking to a yoga instructor and she told me to NOT do it for a bit longer. Get trigger point massage therapy if you can. Did I mention swimming?

Like right now I am up typing this at 3 am as I overdid it last evening with farm chores (and pushing 500 pound hogs) and I am hurting a bit and did not want to wake my honey up by tossing and turning. Laying on the couch currently typing as put a new angle on my back and I am in 80% less pain without drugs. So if you are hurting, change what you are doing.

HOT SPRINGS! I like to hang out in them for like ohhhhhhhhh.. 7 hours, but I rarely get to do that. But if you do not have a hot spring handy, I also had a clawfoot tub, use essential oils like Birch EO and Peppermint in the water to help the muscles, hanging out there watching a movie or talking to 3-4 friends I have not talked to for a bit.

Get good shoes. Wear double socks.

Good luck and I hope you find what helps you to relieve some or all of your back pain.

Cedar
« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 04:45:05 AM by Cedar »

Offline Koldsteel

• Prepper
  • Bee Wrangler and Band-Aid passer
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2013, 07:13:21 AM »
I have heard some very good advice here. But I'm going to be the bad guy. If your discs are bulging into your spinal canal, it may take surgery to correct. All the therapy in the world will not fix a posteriorly displaced disc. I'm not a surgical advocate but this type of surgery is what we do every day. Just make sure you know exactly what your dealing with (may take an MRI). Then move forward educated on your problem. Ill keep you in my prayers for a quick, non-surgical recovery.

Offline SusanG

• Prepper
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2013, 01:53:52 PM »
A few years ago, I developed really severe neck and shoulder pain which was diagnosed as being caused by two disks in my neck being out of place (sorry can't remember which ones).  I was advised to try physical therapy first with surgery as a last resort.  The physical therapist used what he called the McKenzie method (named after the originator, Robin McKenzie) - a deceptively gentle exercise done frequently throughout the day.  To my great surprise after a couple of weeks the pain was gone.  Now when I feel a twinge I do the exercise a few times.  There is a similar therapy for back pain.  I just checked Amazon and there is a book on the method called Treat Your Own Back, by Robin McKenzie.  (http://www.amazon.com/Treat-Your-Own-Back-802-9/dp/0987650408/ref=sr_sp-atf_title_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1366919371&sr=8-1&keywords=mckenzie+method - $8.23)  If I had back pain I'd definitely give that a try.

Offline Ken325

• Survivalist Mentor
  • "Winter is Coming"
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2013, 07:20:18 PM »
Great advice already, but I have to offer mine as well.  I used to work in a hospital and leaning over patients is very bad for your back.

Don't re-injure your back!  Always use good form when lifting.  Don't ever lean over without putting one hand down on something to support yourself and take the weight off your back.  It only takes seconds to blow your back if it has been injured previously.  Another thing that was surprising to me, but it is very bad for your back, is bucket seats.  Sitting with my back at a bad angle is very bad for me and doing this while hitting bumps in a car is going to cause a problem. I had to sell my mustang and buy a truck with upright seating before my back would heal.  I now drive a small car for good gas mileage and I have one of these in the seat to change the angle that I sit at.  It works well. http://www.amazon.com/Large-Medium-FIRM-Wellness-Seat-Cushion/dp/B008GPR888/ref=pd_sim_hpc_3

A lifting belt can help with short term pain but don't use it to do something stupid. http://www.amazon.com/Valeo-Competition-Classic-6-Inch-Lifting/dp/B0032CJSU6/ref=pd_sim_sbs_hg_1

Naproxen is a lot stronger than Ibuprofen if your looking for pain relief, but be careful.  The stuff is very bad for your stomach, so always take it with food. In my experience it will make the pain worse for about 10 hours then the inflammation will go down and you will feel a lot better.  The over the counter version of naproxen is Aleve, and I take more than recommended on the bottle when using the OTC Aleve.  Watch your stomach, but you will get better results that last longer with naproxen.  Another alternative, if your doctor will proscribe it is muscle relaxers.  Lots of problem with these but they work.  Steroids are another option with lots of bad side-effects.  Avoid this if you can.  If you have shooting pain or numbness in your legs you may be doing something to your spine and it is time to go see a doctor.  You may need surgery.  I had horrible problems when I was 24 but now I feel great most of the time.  I can re-injure my back easily, but if I am careful, I can go years without a problem.

Another thing to remember is everyones back is different.  Or, more precisely, your back injury is in a different place.  Some people have problems sitting and some standing.  I went to a physical therapist and got a lot of good advice.  Things like getting rid of sloped seats and the bucket seats in my car. You might want to go see someone if the above advice doesn't help you.

Offline joeinwv

• The Bee Whisperer
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2013, 08:41:19 PM »
If you have a legitimate back injury you need to be working with a DO (Doctor of Osteopathy) as opposed to an MD - probably also an Orthopedist. Until you have a real medical diagnosis of what is physically wrong with your back, you can't determine a course of treatment.

Get some real medical advice, work with a skilled physical therapist - preferably one with a background in sports medicine and rehab. Hopefully, you don't need surgery.

While I might end up working with a chiro and a CMT, it is not where I would start.

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2013, 01:03:44 AM »
I am now 5 years after surgery and have shed 40 lbs and have not stopped moving since.  If life gets in the way and I cannot walk or hike for a couple of days, the pain starts to creep back. It is a pretty good motivator.  I'll admit, I really like morphine ;D , but the pain sucked and I'm not going back there if I have anything to say about it.

Keep on moving until you can't, then find a great surgeon if your discs are impinging on your spinal cord.

I wholeheartedly agree.  I'm always amazed at the number of patients with horrible lumbar disc disease, both with and without surgery, who are able to function at normal levels, with minimal to no pain, simply by sticking with a regular walking routine and being mindful of their body mechanics.  As soon as they slack off, they pay big time.

Sometimes surgery is the only treatment, but I'll have to be soiling myself, or dragging both legs behind me on the floor for 6 months, before I'd opt for going under the knife.  Time and exercise can work wonders and I'm thoroughly convinced that a daily walking program is the miracle cure for nearly everything that ails us. 

Offline fred.greek

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2013, 10:22:07 AM »

With three bad discs, I would add to the above that I’ve found an “inversion table” helps.  Essentially it holds your ankles clamped and has you lay at an angle, head down feet up.

The book mentioned above, Treat Your Own Back, appears to be available free to review online at:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/13227677/treatyourownbackmckenzie

Scribd also has a number of other books on back pain.

(I REALLY like use of the TENS unit.)

endurance

« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2013, 01:02:47 PM »
With three bad discs, I would add to the above that I’ve found an “inversion table” helps.  Essentially it holds your ankles clamped and has you lay at an angle, head down feet up.
I have a friend with an inversion table and he swears by it, too.  They're cheap as chips on Craigslist, so don't buy new.

Offline tacticalzigzag

• Prepper
    • BUGOUTTRUCK.COM, BUGOUTTRUCK BLOG
« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2013, 04:16:36 PM »
I have almost constant lower back pain, and rarely an upper back spasm that puts me on the ground. Along with all of the other suggestions already made one thing that I have added to my daily routine for a couple of years now is using Dr. Bronner's Magic Soap, specifically the peppermint kind when I shower in the morning. There is something about the peppermint that just makes me feel better and less stiff in the mornings. As far as "preps" go this stuff is amazing, I use it for almost everything, Shampoo, body wash, shaving cream, toothpaste, laundry detergent, normal house cleaning. It seems kind of expensive but my "Bathroom" bottle (I usually get the 32oz size) will last me for 4 or 5 months.
http://www.amazon.com/Dr-Bronners-Magic-Soaps-Pure-Castile/dp/B00120VWJ0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1370469751&sr=8-1&keywords=Dr+Bronners

Just my 2 cents.

Offline soccer grannie

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2013, 06:48:10 PM »
Any of you dealing with or have had back pain read this thread?
http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=43550.new;topicseen#new

I'm miserable. See my doc in the morning. We'll see what he has to say. Pain 24/7 & being out of commission, ain't my thing.

Offline pokeshell

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Against the assault of laughter nothing can stand.
« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2013, 08:34:32 PM »
I got into a fatal head on car accident in 1998, 2 months after  graduating from a great university. I was in great shape. worked out several times a week, lifted weights, and competitively kickboxed. So light injury was common, but I was and am very in tune with my body.  I broke a few bones, bruised everything, dislocated my wrist, broke my wrist. I spent months going to chiro, massage, orthopedic, and  neurosurgeons. They patched my up pretty good. I almost had my wrist fused because after 2 years it was still popping out when I would get up from the floor. I had 9 disks that were pushing out one way or another, 2 that still leak.

I have at least 5 bad disks, 2 that leak. They can operate on the 3 in my neck, but the ones in my mid back would require fusing from the heart\organ side due to how far out they push.  I suffer from migraines. 

I have a great  massage chair. I go get massages. I have a real tempurpedic bed. But the greatest thing is ICE. Never heat, it feels good, but causing swelling, making the next day worse. ICE.
 Had a bad day, go get a massage and then ICE and drink lots of water.

Chiro can help, for me I have had damage done too many times. But, I am a pretty extream case.  If it comes down to 1 thin, it is clay ICE packs. I have 3 "huge" clay filled ice packs that cover my entire back 16x40 I believe. Plus several smaller ones. When my back is flaring up, I just go to bed and sleep on it.

ICE.