Author Topic: cheryl1's 13 in 13  (Read 5644 times)

Offline cheryl1

• Survival Demonstrator
    • Russell Honey
cheryl1's 13 in 13
« on: January 12, 2013, 10:31:40 AM »
Beekeeping-I want to get one hive with bees, and work with my daughter to complete beekeeping as a 4-H project.

Archery-I want to learn how to work on my bow, and become consistent at 40 yards.

Fitness-lose 10 pounds and run a 12 minute mile

Marksmanship-attend an Appleseed Shoot

Driving-take a motorcycle safety class and get my motorcycle endorsement

Trapping-learn how to set and release a trap

Sewing-sew an article of clothing from a pattern

Lumberjacking-learn chainsaw maintenance and safe use

Distilling Fuel-get a tabletop still or equivalent and distill ethanol

Dog Training-teach the dog to track family members by name

Soap Making-make my first batch of bar soap

Tool Maintenance-gather and organize the tools I have, purchase needed tools, and create a schedule for maintenance

Alternative Energy-get and learn how to use a small generator, learn more about battery banks and possibly build one

Offline cheryl1

• Survival Demonstrator
    • Russell Honey
Re: cheryl1's 13 in 13
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2013, 10:42:28 AM »
Trapping-learn how to set and release a trap

Complete! What started out as a small goal to simply learn how the work the couple of traps we had in the shed has morphed into a new lifestyle choice. My husband is IN LOVE with trapping and snaring. I think he's finally found his kind of hunting! We're all tricked out now with traps and snares, and the shed is now decorated in defleshed hides awaiting tanning. We also expanded our library with several books related to trapping, snaring, and preserving hides.
I can set a foothold trap. I've handled the snares and seen them set up in the woods. I can handle a 220 Conibear, but a 330 is beyond my strength. I've helped dye traps and I know to boil snares in baking soda before using them. :)

My dh snapped up a free canoe and we had a great time breaking through the ice with it this week.

I'm glad I took the 13 in 13 challenge, otherwise I might never have made the effort to be as involved with dh's new hobby. It has been a lot of fun!

Offline cheryl1

• Survival Demonstrator
    • Russell Honey
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2013, 02:54:33 PM »
Beekeeping-I want to get one hive with bees, and work with my daughter to complete beekeeping as a 4-H project.

I have the building plans and materials list for a hive. So tomorrow-let the construction begin! Planning on two Warre hives.

Offline cheryl1

• Survival Demonstrator
    • Russell Honey
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2013, 08:00:17 PM »
Pretty much done with two hives-I need my other half to show me how to use a tablesaw on the last couple of pieces. I ordered my bees as well.

Offline cheryl1

• Survival Demonstrator
    • Russell Honey
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2013, 07:02:09 PM »
I signed my daughter up for the beekeeping 4-H project.

Offline cheryl1

• Survival Demonstrator
    • Russell Honey
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2013, 08:58:28 AM »
I've signed up for the motorcycle safety class, and have started keeping my eye out for a small 250-300 sportbike. I also signed myself and my husband up for our first Appleseed shoot :)

Offline cheryl1

• Survival Demonstrator
    • Russell Honey
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2013, 08:15:31 AM »
Good progress so far-this has worked wayyyyyyy better than New Years resolutions. I can run my mile faster than I thought would be possible with my tender knee, lost 5 pounds so far, got my motorcycle lisence and 150 bike miles under my belt, bees arrive in two weeks, garden tool/home toolbox complete, got a generator but still need to learn to use it

Offline cheryl1

• Survival Demonstrator
    • Russell Honey
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2013, 11:33:59 AM »

Fitness-lose 10 pounds and run a 12 minute mile

Marksmanship-attend an Appleseed Shoot

Dog Training-teach the dog to track family members by name

Tool Maintenance-gather and organize the tools I have, purchase needed tools, and create a schedule for maintenance

Two beehives are up and running, with the materials cut out for a third in case of a swarm or need to split my hives. 4-H project is going well and I'm learning a lot from the beekeeper

Down 8 pounds from the beginning of the year  :excited:

I got the days off work for the appleseed shoot in Sept. Husband is going too.

Working with the dog, he's starting to get the point of finding daddy and mommy, doesn't differentiate between the kids yet

Tools are maintained and organized in my own (new) space in the shop. counting this skill as done  ;D

Offline cheryl1

• Survival Demonstrator
    • Russell Honey
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2013, 06:40:25 AM »
Beekeeping-Done

Archery done

Fitness-done, although even a slow running mile tends to aggravate my knee so I mostly bike and walk now

Marksmanship done

Driving-done

Trapping-done

Sewing-never did it

Lumber jacking- never did it

Distilling Fuel-get a tabletop still or equivalent and distill ethanol-as long as there is enough after Christmas money left I'm ordering one this week

Dog Training-got a new dog, starting this one over for next year

Soap Making-done

Tool Maintenance-done

Alternative Energy-done

I didn't finish everything, but this is far and away the best I have ever done with New Years resolutions!!