Author Topic: Cooking oil long term storage - best kinds  (Read 5962 times)

Offline Otis

• Prepper
Cooking oil long term storage - best kinds
« on: January 12, 2013, 12:20:41 PM »
Does anybody what kind of cooking oil keeps best in long term storage, peanut oil, corn oil, canola, etc..

Offline Hurricane

• Senior Survivalist
Re: Cooking oil long term storage - best kinds
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2013, 12:37:54 PM »
My understanding has been that none of them keep for more than a couple of years. I would plan on learning to make your own. But you could store the seeds or nuts. (and plant some)

I have seen this oil press advertised, no first-hand knowledge:
http://www.piteba.com/eng/index_eng.htm
Even as men wrecked upon a sand, that look to be
washed off the next tide.

Online Morning Sunshine

• Geese Smuggling Moonbat
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • There are no mistakes, just Learning Experiences
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2013, 12:57:33 PM »
there have been a few discussions on this

http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=1063.msg41190#msg41190 is one.  still looking for the other one
"Preparedness, when properly pursued, is a way of life, not a sudden, spectacular program" - Spencer W. Kimball
"Life isn't about trying to survive the storm; but about learning to dance in the rain" - unknown
Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity

Prepping makes even a hurricane just an inconvenience.

Online Morning Sunshine

• Survival Demonstrator
"Preparedness, when properly pursued, is a way of life, not a sudden, spectacular program" - Spencer W. Kimball
"Life isn't about trying to survive the storm; but about learning to dance in the rain" - unknown

Offline DebinMass

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2013, 02:34:10 PM »
Hello All

I have Olive Oil in the can and also have Coconut Oil and High-Oleic Sunflower Oil.  I am very omfortablewith 5+ years if it is stored in a cool place in an unopened container, i.e. not exposed to the air.  Once you open the container, some vitamin E or Rosemary oleresin will help further extend the shelf life.   great soure for reasonably priced, quality oils is  http://www.soaperschoice.com/   Double check you are buying food grade, but I am pretty sure that is all they sell.

High Oleic (and it must be the high oleic type) Sunflower Oil has one of the longest shelf lifes I have found

"Longer Shelf Life In oils with high polyunsaturated content, fatty acids are present which are natural oxidizers and reduce the shelf life of the oil. However, in high oleic sunflower oil the level of polyunsaturated fatty acids is less, due to which it has twice the shelf life of other vegetable cooking oils"

I am a soapmaker, and one way to keep your oils rotated is to use up anything that has been around a while by making soaps for the bath, laundry, etc.    It is a great way to make a few extra dollars and keep my cleaning preps stocked

Deb

Online Morning Sunshine

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2013, 03:08:17 PM »
I am a soapmaker, and one way to keep your oils rotated is to use up anything that has been around a while by making soaps for the bath, laundry, etc.    It is a great way to make a few extra dollars and keep my cleaning preps stocked

Deb

Deb - I soap also, but only for my family's benefit... no sales involved.  I have often wondered: can you use rancid oil in soap?  does it trace like normal?  does your soap stink?  does your soap go bad?

Offline DebinMass

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2013, 09:44:37 PM »
Hi Morning Sunshine,

I don't know about soaping with rancid oil, I have never tried.   I have a little high end olive oil that has gone bad; I was saving it for something special, silly me, now it is rancid.

Next time I soap I will experiment to see what happens.  My bet is that it is going to saponify okay, but will probably stink.

Deb

Offline Spnvc

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2013, 05:52:04 PM »
I love to cook with Ghee, which is clarified butter.  I recently ran across canned ghee at Safe Castle.

http://www.safecastle.com/canned-ghee-case.aspx

Online nkawtg

• Survival Demonstrator
  • NKAWTG
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2013, 06:52:16 PM »
Same brand at Emergency Essentials
http://beprepared.com/product.asp?pn=FS%20D020

For a case of 6 cans it breaks down to $9.00 each for Emergency Essentials and $12.35 for Safecastle.
Still a bit pricey but I might spring for some.

You can make your own, it's easy but you've got to stick around or it could burn.
Psalm 109:8

Offline blademan

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Ask the next question
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2013, 02:44:49 AM »
Coconut oil. Unrefined. (Not super important but its what I prefer.)
Stores really well. Wiki gives a 2 year value for its shelf life. I think that's probably an average and may be able to be extended if it was kept cool or cold such as in a cellar.
 Shea butter is good for cooking, though its not liked by some for its sort of smoky taste. Shea and coconut oils are very good for skin and hair and have other healthful benefits as well with the edge going to shea butter for medicinal uses in my experience. They are both useful for other things as well.
Man's mind is his basic tool of survival.
Fear is the mind killer.

Two rules for a happy life:
1. Never sling shit at an armed man.
2. Never stand next to someone who is slinging shit at an armed man.

Offline Tyronedeblanco

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2013, 04:42:57 AM »
tagging this

Offline Tangofoxtrot308

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2013, 12:00:50 PM »
As far as soap goes yes you can use rancid oil for soap. From what I've been told that's what the pioneers did. Fresh oil for cooking left over rancid went into soap. For anyone that's made soap before you know once the oil mixes with the lye it ain't oil any more. May not have a wonderful smell but it'll do.
"If you can't protect yourself, die and get out of the way of those who can."  The Hound

Offline TexasWolf

• Prepper
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2013, 11:20:29 AM »
I know the thread is a bit old, but I save my bacon drippings when I am rendering bacon ends and pieces to make bacon bits and then filter it through linen. Then I pressure can the drippings in small 8 ounce jelly jars. Leave about one inch of head space (rather than the normal 1/4 to 1/2) and can at 11-12 pounds for about 45 minutes. I have some that is over a year old and perfectly fine. I rotate my home canned goods at a 12-18 month max storage time cycle, but this is a good way to save all that nom nom bacon fat. So glad my grandma insisted that ll of us kids, boys and girls, learn to cook and can.

Offline blademan

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Ask the next question
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2013, 01:36:02 AM »
Look up ghee. Its a type of clarified butter. In the wiki, it mentioned that there's a culture that makes ghee on the day a girl is born and then packages it and buries it until she is married. Then they dig it up and cook the wedding food in it. Talk about shelf life!
  Its about the longest lastinf natural oil I can find.
 Its a good idea to prep for being able to make oils because you can only store so much, and if it it lost, stole, left, or destroyed or just goes bad, then you don't have it anymore.
Man's mind is his basic tool of survival.
Fear is the mind killer.

Two rules for a happy life:
1. Never sling shit at an armed man.
2. Never stand next to someone who is slinging shit at an armed man.

inbox485

« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2013, 03:43:53 PM »
Never heard of ghee before. Sounds like it might be perfect for cast iron seasoning.

Updated Ghee links for anybody interested:

http://beprepared.com/clarified-butter-14-oz.html
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004UMDNSA/

Offline soccer grannie

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2013, 04:04:31 PM »
Lard or Crisco is the best for seasoning cast iron - other than cooking with bacon grease to keep it seasoned.

Online Frugal Upstate

• Survivalist Mentor
  • aka Jenn Fowler and Jenn @ Frugal Upstate ;)
    • Frugal Upstate
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2013, 05:13:32 PM »
I know it's not particularly healthy, but your standard shortening (crisco etc) has a stated shelf life of 2 years, which probably means it's good far longer then that.  I have 2 containers I keep in my food storage just in case--It's not expensive, and if I'm actually using my food stores then I would be willing to use it.  And if I don't, well, I figure I can always make soap out of it instead.
Check out my blog: Frugal Upstate 
Frugal-Sustainable-Prepared

Offline Ms. Albatross

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2013, 05:50:43 PM »
I know it's not particularly healthy, but your standard shortening (crisco etc) has a stated shelf life of 2 years, which probably means it's good far longer then that.  I have 2 containers I keep in my food storage just in case--It's not expensive, and if I'm actually using my food stores then I would be willing to use it.  And if I don't, well, I figure I can always make soap out of it instead.

If it expires, you could try this:

"If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need."
- Cicero

OIL LADY'S DEFINITION OF A PREPPER: A prepper is someone who takes advantage of the monetary freedom offered by good economic conditions of non-wartime prosperity to stockpile for himself readily available supplies and equipment of a lifestyle-supporting nature. He specifically chooses to engage in such stockpiling during easy economic times so that when bad economic times eventually cycle around again, he will be prepared to engage in the self-preserving undertaking of riding out a lengthy period of scarcity of those same supplies and equipment without harming others in the process. The goal of the prepper is to be fully self-sufficient at all times --good times and bad-- without breaking laws or causing harm to others.

inbox485

« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2013, 06:18:01 PM »
Crisco is non hardening candle wax. Bacon I'm fine with. Crisco on the other hand goes in lanterns not food.

Online Frugal Upstate

• Survivalist Mentor
  • aka Jenn Fowler and Jenn @ Frugal Upstate ;)
    • Frugal Upstate
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2013, 01:46:56 PM »
Crisco is non hardening candle wax. Bacon I'm fine with. Crisco on the other hand goes in lanterns not food.

Like I said--it's there as a true emergency source ;)  I do also store olive oil, coconut oil and lard.
Check out my blog: Frugal Upstate 
Frugal-Sustainable-Prepared

Offline endurance

• Dances With Newfies
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2013, 04:20:05 PM »
Cooking oil is one of those items that I'd be stopping by the store to buy on the way home in a SHTF.  It's one of those items that I don't consume enough of to allow storing more than a gallon or two, but would be extremely hard to produce after a SHTF.  Generally I get about two to two and a half years out of everything but grapeseed oil, which tends to last over three years in my experience without turning rancid.
"There are things that you don't question when your home always smells like baking bread."  From The Hunger Games

“No nation could preserve its freedom in the midst of continual warfare.”   James Madison

Offline MexicanJoe

• Prepper
  • Prolific Prepper Sponge
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2013, 07:04:30 PM »
I think Jack or another podcaster mentioned this on a podcast.
Put Gallon jugs in the freezer. It stops the date. If the grid goes down the count down starts up again. .
I also but blocked and bucket lard that does not have to be refrigerated. it really lasts.
Prep Away