Author Topic: Maintaining hair care options  (Read 5909 times)

Offline Dainty

• Darth Dainty, Bunny Snuggler
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Making it work!
Maintaining hair care options
« on: January 14, 2013, 03:26:56 AM »
I've lived without conventional hair products for a while now and figured out how to keep my hair somewhat presentable, so I'm all set for TEOTWAWKI (why yes, I am feeling rather accomplished in this area ::) ).

So, how about those lesser times when it'd be nice to maintain nice hair? Does everyone just stock up on whatever hair products they're using?

I spotted these "hair conditioner flakes" today and it got me thinking. A single pound pound of this concentrated stuff makes 20-35 pounds of hair conditioner, that seems like a significant storage advantage. But then, if they can make those, then we should be able to make our own, right? Just like instant oatmeal - you can go through the work of "packaging" the emulsifier and oils together and then it's just add water, and/or you can keep the raw ingredients on hand and mix the entire thing up as needed.

And now I'm wondering if you can do this with hair gel too...

Offline flippydidit

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Keep 'em shooting!
Re: Maintaining hair care options
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2013, 03:39:16 AM »
My wife still frowns on my "hair care".  When she first moved in with me, the shower had one towel and one bar of soap.  Now there aren't enough shelves in the shower for her and my daughter's "gear".  In fact, my lonely bar of soap has been relegated to the lonely soap dish by itself.  Oh well, at least it can reminisce with it's old friend, the towel.

Offline Dainty

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Making it work!
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2013, 04:20:25 AM »
I bet you don't mind the end result of all that. ;)

I would counter your wife in saying that short hair generally doesn't even require soap, actually. Lucky you. The longer hair gets, the more picky it is on how it's treated if it's going to be nice.

That doesn't necessarily mean lots of products/effort, but it does require paying attention. Certain hair types, such as the naturally straight with large hair shafts, tend to be fine with minimal care. Other hair types, particularly the naturally curly and smaller hair shaft, need a more specialized approach. Some hair is more easily damaged than others, so that taking the wrong brush to it even once is enough to cause decidedly unpretty damage, while other hair is resilient enough to cheerfully withstand abuse. Ever held a curled ribbon by one end, pinched it between your fingers and tried to quickly pull it through? It'll tangle up every time. With curly hair, that's simultaneously happening to hundreds of hair shafts at the same time, as they interlock with each other as well. In other words: instant tangles, even if there were no tangles to begin with, and forcing them through only causes permanent damage.

If you've ever seen hair that's all frizz or just looks - bad - it's generally been damaged by harsh products (including some shampoos), heat, or mechanical damage from bad brushes/combs, wind/hats, or hair placement items. It isn't that person doesn't care for their hair or that it's supposed to look that way naturally, it's just ignorance about proper handling and care for what their type needs. I've watched a lot of women find their lives drastically improved when they start discovering what actually works for them and notice a significant improvement in their hair.

Whether it's technically needed or not, it's nice to feel good about how you look, and I think many women (and their significant others) would prefer that not be disrupted by SHTF. ;D

*nudges flippy* you can wake up now

Offline flippydidit

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Keep 'em shooting!
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2013, 05:46:22 AM »
Huh?  What?  Must have dozed off.

I agree with you.  In a nutshell, whatever keeps the womenfolk happy, I'm usually ok with.  Usually.

d3nni5

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2013, 08:01:08 AM »
Another "guy" perspective....I just stock up on the cheap shampoo and conditioner.   I figure something is better than nothing.   I can't afford to buy and store her usual brands.   She spends a small fortune on hair and makeup each month!   

I used to have long hair, but I never went for the expensive products.   Even with hair long enough to tuck behind my belt, I always used Suave or something similar.  Those conditioner flakes you link to are certainly the right price, cool find. 

How about items for cutting hair?   Anyone think about this?   I've asked several times for her to try to cut my hair on the back porch.  I haven't managed to get her to do it yet though.   I hate going to get a haircut.  Do folks out here keep trimmers, scissors and razors set aside for this?   I know they make manual clippers too, for those power outage situations.   

Offline flippydidit

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Keep 'em shooting!
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2013, 08:22:26 AM »
We do our own haircuts.  I've been a "barracks barber" for a long time in the Army.  It wasn't until "Household 6" (the wife) insisted that I cut my daughters hair that she let me cut hers as well.  Now she doesn't go to a beauty salon.

I convinced her that it was ok to cut my hair through constant pestering.  She was afraid that she would screw it up with the clippers.  I told her, "So?  If you do, I'll shave it off and it will grow back."  Eventually she gave in.  First couple times came out awful and I shaved it all off.  Then she got the hang of it.  I've got no one to impress so I'm not worried if it has to get shaved.  Your mileage/occupation may vary.   ;)

Offline Dainty

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Making it work!
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2013, 06:04:26 AM »
MSP, I'd suspect you're right on track with something being better than nothing. And if she wants an option more tailored to her preferences, I'd say it's up to her her to take the initiative with that.

Growing up, in my family you either cut your own hair or you hand the scissors to someone else and don't complain about the results. :wut: It's just hair, it grows back. Good stories come with the territory. ;D We never "announced" any drastic cuts to one another, we simply emerged from the bathroom with a new look (and occasionally a smug accomplice). My mom, sisters, and I got most of our practice bloopers worked out when we were pretty young, and honestly I'd trust them before any professional with it because they don't have any high notions of giving me something fancy they think I want when it's not what I asked for. I still prefer the scissors in my own hand, though.

I've never cut a short hairstyle on someone else before, but as long as they didn't mind the potential for a botched result I'd welcome the opportunity. I guess a lot of it is personal to what someone feels is DIY and what should be reserved for trained professionals. I can see how a person might be nervous about cutting hair if they felt it required professional training to do right, and especially if their own image is so wrapped up in their hair that a botched cut would be disastrous to their self esteem. That kind of thing is pretty easy to project.

MSP, have you considered having a go at it yourself? I'd think that even if it goes less than spectacularly, if you just up and decide to stop getting professional cuts then eventually one of you will learn how to do it acceptably, and if she sees you messing up that will be more motivation for her to step in.

As for instruments, we always had haircutting scissors that are never used for any other purpose. They're generally the sharpest pair in the house. I currently just use regular scissors on my hair, which is inconvenient enough for me to be on the lookout for getting some designated ones. My family also has some thinning scissors, which I think have been used once or twice in a decade or so. A fine-toothed comb is also useful if you want to make sure the ends don't appear raggedly.

Offline rikkrack

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Permaculture Entrepreneur
    • Wolf-Beach Farms
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2013, 07:38:24 AM »
I got tired of paying 9 bucks for someone to cut my hair. They used the clippers, surely I could too. Been doing that for 20 years now. Wife cuts her own, and our daughters. I cut my son's hair. Wife will occasionally get a new style, but a pro, but is a family member so done for free or a dinner and beer.

My wife found the same thing when we started living together. 1 bar of soap, same type of soap at sinks for washing hands. I was a guy, didn't matter. soap was soap got the crud off.

We went through the self of products for a while until we started waking up.

Back to 1 bar of soap. Shampoo and the likes we are looking at making our own of both but still have a shelf at the moment. But down to 3 bottles, her shampoo, her conditioner and one for the baby (no tears)Experimenting with recipes now to make out own.

d3nni5

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2013, 08:03:47 AM »

OK, who wants to cut my hair!   ;)

Dainty, I SHOULD give it a try myself.   No reason not to.   Nine times out of 10 I'm wearing a ball hat anyway.   If I screw up, it will make a good story for the whoever I have fix it.   Who knows, maybe it will turn out good?  I guess it is a leap of faith thing...never done it so it makes me nervous.

Offline Dainty

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Making it work!
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2013, 08:12:30 AM »
Rik, your wife might appreciate poking around the Long Hair Community if she's interested in alternative hair care methods. Lots of folks there have tried all sorts of stuff other than the shampoo/conditioner routine and are pretty friendly in sharing their experiences and the "whys" of what does or doesn't work, esecially as it pertains to different hairtypes.

OK, who wants to cut my hair!   ;)

:rofl:

Dainty, I SHOULD give it a try myself.   No reason not to.   Nine times out of 10 I'm wearing a ball hat anyway.   If I screw up, it will make a good story for the whoever I have fix it.   Who knows, maybe it will turn out good?  I guess it is a leap of faith thing...never done it so it makes me nervous.

You are planning on posting pictures, riiiight?

Offline rikkrack

• Dedicated Contributor
    • Wolf-Beach Farms
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2013, 08:19:55 AM »
Will pass it along. She is a member on here but actually "works" when she goes to work and doesn't have much time to post. She lurks along. Usually I direct her to things I think she would like.

d3nni5

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2013, 08:39:47 AM »
You are planning on posting pictures, riiiight?

heh!   Let's see how it goes first.   First things first, I need to get some clippers.

Offline rikkrack

• Dedicated Contributor
    • Wolf-Beach Farms
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2013, 08:42:05 AM »
Make use you keep clipper oil handy. I have super thick hair and failed to oil a few times. Clippers got hot, enough to cause pain, and then clippers froze. That was when I was just starting out as a teenager. Learned my lesson.

Offline ttubravesrock

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Born to be an Alaskan
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2013, 12:05:15 PM »
Make use you keep clipper oil handy. I have super thick hair and failed to oil a few times. Clippers got hot, enough to cause pain, and then clippers froze. That was when I was just starting out as a teenager. Learned my lesson.

Alternative: buy dog shears

They are built for thicker fur but do fine with human hair too. That's what I use. Every six months, I put the 1/4" guard on and go out in the yard with them. I keep going until the clippers can't find any hairs longer than 1/4".  Works great, but I'm not a stylist or anything.  The price is right. Dog clippers will be a little more than half the cost of human clippers.

Offline ncjeeper

• Most Noble Order of the Garter Snake
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Oooops!
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2013, 12:10:28 PM »
heh!   Let's see how it goes first.   First things first, I need to get some clippers.
You will need two mirrors also. I use the wall mirror and a hand held one as I cut the back of my head.

Offline rikkrack

• Dedicated Contributor
    • Wolf-Beach Farms
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2013, 12:19:36 PM »
I use slave labor...kids. Although wife usually can spot when they "help" and has to fix. If we are at home not going anywhere for a weekend I let them cut it on Friday however they want and fix on Sunday before work.