Author Topic: moving and preps  (Read 3017 times)

Offline busymomx3

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Starting to get the hang of this.
moving and preps
« on: January 20, 2013, 12:08:26 AM »
I'm not sure where to put this but hope you ladies can help.  We have decided that where we currently are isn't working for us anymore and it's time to make a change.  So we are moving 2200 miles (or something like that) this coming summer.  What I am wondering is do we eat down our prep food and use up other items or do we just try to move them?  I know the meat in the freezer will have to get eaten.  Any other advice on not loosing momentum on preps while saving for the move is appreciated.  We are trying to trim down what is going with us so it keeps costs low.

Offline flippydidit

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Keep 'em shooting!
Re: moving and preps
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2013, 01:25:23 AM »
<-----Not a lady, but have moved long distance many times.

Depending on where you're located, you might find a local prepper that would buy your food from you.  Barring that, I would eat down the food or donate it to a shelter or church (and I'm not religious).  The cost of food is always going up, but the less weight you have to move, the better.  Currently the availability of food is not in question.  So I would find it hard to argue the point that you "have" to bring the food with you.

It sounds like you're on the right track.  The weight of items that you are bringing should be made up of things that are difficult or impossible to replace cost-effectively.  Things like ammunition, books, heirlooms or other "not found at the supermarket" items should take priority.  Even furniture might be considered replaceable if it isn't an heirloom.

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Geese Smuggling Moonbat
  • Survival Veteran
  • There are no mistakes, just Learning Experiences
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2013, 07:11:14 AM »
might I ask where you are going from to to?  general area, not specifics.  for example, I am in Utah, where I can pick up LTS foods at the grocery store, regularly on sale.  If I were to move to the East Coast, I would def pay to take my food storage with me.  Why? because most of what I would have to buy to replace it would probably come from the Utah area, and would cost more to replace it with shipping than it would to take it with me.

Offline cheryl1

• Survival Demonstrator
    • Russell Honey
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2013, 07:23:46 AM »
We are trying to trim down what is going with us so it keeps costs low.

This is a unique opportunity for you to declutter your entire house at the same time. Also, I would try to figure up what it would cost to replace the food prep vs. move it, and budget accordingly. If it's $1000 to replace and $800 to move-then move the food. If it's $1000 to move and $800 to replace-then donate it to charity and write $800 off your taxes. Just remember to budget $800 to replace your preps when you arrive at your new place.

Offline busymomx3

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Starting to get the hang of this.
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2013, 02:49:41 PM »
We are moving from WA to TX.  We are trimming the whole house down.  Selling things like the couch and furniture that we don't need or use.  We are going light to save money.  But its a weird adjustment because I have finally gotten into the stocking mind set and now have to shift gears again LOL.  THanks for the advice about cost I will for sure investigate.  I wonder if some foods will be cheaper in TX.  Honestly not sure.  I have been told the cost of living is cheaper there.  We also hope to finally have a garden and other things to supplement the lost food.  Ugh moving stinks but hopefully our lives will be better for it.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2013, 07:58:56 PM »
Go online and look at local grocery stores and see if you can find prices. You are into space VS food VS price.

When I moved back to the States from Canada after 9 years, I ate down my stocks, gave away other pantry items, kept some and then rebuilt after I came back. I gave away HUNDREDS of canning jars too as the lids were SLIGHTLY different size and US lids seemed to not seal on Canadian jars well. It took me 2 years to get fully restocked pantry.

Cedar