Author Topic: Can anyone recommend a strop?  (Read 2393 times)

Offline NotoriousAPP

• Senior Survivalist
Can anyone recommend a strop?
« on: January 14, 2013, 07:20:59 PM »
Can anyone with experience using different strops recommend a strop and strop compound?

I'm tired of dealing with knives that I always feel should be just a bit sharper...especially in the kitchen, there's nothing worse than rolling a knife edge over the skin of a tomato.  I'm buying the Work Sharp sharpener this month and I want to start doing this right, I want to strop my knives.

I'll be sharpening the entire set of kitchen knives, a spyderco tenacious, a mora, Ka-Bar Becker BK2....and whatever else I pick up in the future.

http://www.amazon.com/Work-Sharp-WSKTS-Knife-Sharpener/dp/B003IT5F14/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=17G1NUTN4JHKL&coliid=I1L8XLG4HQZTHI

nelson96

Re: Can anyone recommend a strop?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2013, 08:03:36 PM »
Any scrap piece of leather (rough side up) sized accordingly to the knife lengths you want to strop will do just fine.  Glue it to a block of wood and add a common jeweler's rouge.

Offline ADKwarrior

• Survivor
  • MSB Member Omegaburn
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2013, 09:51:17 AM »
I very much like the strop system from the-knife-connection, i find it works incredibly well fr me and the portability kit is quite nice
http://www.the-knife-connection.com/tkc-stropstickkit-sheath.html

There are are lots of strops out there but i reccommend taking a look at this. I have ordered from them a few times and have gotten A+ service.

Offline kid_couteau

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2013, 10:14:11 AM »
Hi All

I made mine.

I used a piece of vegetable tanned leather about 10 ounces thick.

Glued it to a piece of black walnut about 3" wide by 10" long. Smooth side up.

I rubbed 3 in 1 oil into it and then rubbed rouge colored buffing compound into it.

Works good for me.
Kid

Offline Lamewolf

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2017, 12:08:15 PM »
I make my own !  Go to hobby Lobby and buy a bag of leather scraps or use an old leather belt and glue a piece of it to a wooden paint paddle.  Then go to Harbour Freight and buy a stick of their green metal polish (it looks like a big green crayon) and rub that into the leather.  Now you got yourself a nice strop.  I even made a small one to put in my kit by cutting a wooden 12 inch ruler in half and put the leather on the back of it.  Now I have a 6 inch ruler and a strop in my kit !

Offline Knecht

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Czech emissary at TSP forum
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2017, 08:27:30 AM »
I use my belt

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2017, 08:39:42 AM »
I use a heavy canvas strap from a load tie down from a big truck and automotive VALVE GRINDING COMPOUND...I am on a budget and this works.

Offline iam4liberty

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2017, 12:40:32 PM »
Since watching Patrick Roehrman's Beyond Razor Sharp I have been trying newspaper as a final step.  It is working great.