Author Topic: Electronic Governor / Actuator  (Read 607 times)

Offline snakelips

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Electronic Governor / Actuator
« on: January 15, 2013, 02:43:15 PM »
Hi, I'm trying to get an older Generac generator/welder up and running again.  It's been jury-rigged through the years and has some parts missing.  The diesel engine runs well, and I've stripped off the unnecessary welder parts. 

My issue now is finding some kind of aftermarket / odd brand electronic governor and actuator to keep the engine running at the correct speed.  It had some kind of vacuum pump, valves, switches deal that varied the speed for the welding portion and was all jacked up.  I just need something now that will sense the voltage or speed or frequency and then actuate the throttle lever to keep it running at a set speed.

Generac was no help other than a photocopy of a wiring diagram from a similar model.  No parts are available, and I'm not even really interested in stock parts as I don't intend to use this as a welder anymore.  Can anyone suggest a reasonably priced governor I can rig a mount for and run the throttle on my diesel?

Thanks,
snakelips

Offline snakelips

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Re: Electronic Governor / Actuator
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2013, 09:16:55 PM »
I might have found my own answer, but I figured I'd post it here just in case anyone else is looking for something similar.

I found this video:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tdLH1MIyq8  which shows a Generac governor control operating a stepper motor which would be linked to the throttle.  But the looks of it, it appears to be a 098647ASRV 98647 controller with a 098290 stepper motor. 

If anyone has any experience with these parts on a homemade generator, I'd love to hear about it.

Thanks
-snakelips