Author Topic: What 5 knots should I learn?  (Read 19321 times)

Offline PrepperJim

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Prepping Means Resiliency and Redundancy
Re: What 5 knots should I learn?
« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2013, 08:16:24 PM »
Knots is also one of my 13 Skills.  I am going with the "Pro-knot" cards.  One of the guys had a set in his bob, and they just work for me.  Yes, I should have them all memorized, but it is dang handy to have the cards when I need them.

http://www.amazon.com/PROKNOT-Outdoor-Knots-John-Sherry/dp/0922273227/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1358735743&sr=8-3&keywords=pro-knot+card

I have these cards and they are great. I am working my way through the knots as part of my 13 skills as well. I am up to four of the knots. I cannot seem to get the Water Knot from the card. I am going to Google it right now.

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2013, 08:34:03 PM »
Knots is also one of my 13 Skills.  I am going with the "Pro-knot" cards.  One of the guys had a set in his bob, and they just work for me.  Yes, I should have them all memorized, but it is dang handy to have the cards when I need them.

http://www.amazon.com/PROKNOT-Outdoor-Knots-John-Sherry/dp/0922273227/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1358735743&sr=8-3&keywords=pro-knot+card

There are others available with more knots etc.  but I think for me, if I can memorize these, I will be good.

i have one of those also in my bob.

Offline markl32

• Senior Survivalist
  • TSP Support Brigade member
« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2013, 10:03:33 PM »

Square not and Bowline are used weekly here on the property.  The non slip loop in the bow line is handy for tons of stuff. 

Offline mike77

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2013, 12:35:30 AM »
I have these cards and they are great. I am working my way through the knots as part of my 13 skills as well. I am up to four of the knots. I cannot seem to get the Water Knot from the card. I am going to Google it right now.

The water knot is pretty simple if you think of it as an overhand knot tied in one end, then the other end traced through from the opposite direction. At least it was for me.

Offline trekker111

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2013, 03:24:55 AM »
The boy scouts require 6 knots, and teach dozens more, assuming you can already tie a square knot then the other 5 are:

2 half hitches
taut-line hitch
timber hitch
Clove hitch
bowline

Additiinally there are 2 ways to do a clove hitch, depending on the situation. One way is used to tie the end of a rope to a pole, the other is to.tie the middle of a rope to a pole.

The bowline also has variations, such as the aforementioned one handed tying around your chest, which is used for rescues, and tying it on the bight, which makes a fixed double loop in the center of a rope.

Offline PrepperJim

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Prepping Means Resiliency and Redundancy
« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2013, 09:13:48 AM »
The water knot is pretty simple if you think of it as an overhand knot tied in one end, then the other end traced through from the opposite direction. At least it was for me.

I got it now. The diagram on the card was just bad or I was just being stupid. I interpreted the card such that the same end that one ties the overhand knot is the end used to retrace the knot from the opposite direction. Of course, is the opposite end which makes all the difference in the world.

I am now up to six knots from the card, not including the square knot which I already knew. ;-)

Offline trekker111

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #36 on: January 21, 2013, 04:26:08 PM »
If you find the local boy scout store, they will sell a deck of flash cards with instructions for tying hundreds of knots. Or you can order it here. It has been invaluable in teaching knots to my scouts, and fun at home just trying out some of the knots.

http://www.scoutstuff.org/deck-of-knots.html

Offline MamaLeary

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #37 on: January 27, 2013, 06:18:45 AM »
I am doing the Knot Mastery also, and deciding what qualifies as "Mastery" was my first question. Went looking and found "The Knot Master Program". Here is the link. It gives directions and what the knots are used for. Going to use this as my guide.  http://www.cpds.org/Docs/Knot_Master_Program.pdf

Offline ant

• Prepper
« Reply #38 on: January 27, 2013, 11:58:34 AM »
I haven't seen this mentioned yet: there are a number of smartphone apps for free or cheap that you can download. I downloaded one called "How to Tie Knots" that steps you through each point with a little animation. Very helpful.

Ant

Offline AshenChore

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #39 on: February 01, 2013, 02:16:22 PM »
I don't think anyone mentioned this site.

I found this site very helpful, www.animatedknots.com.  I practice tying various knots just to know how.  It also has info about when to use the knot, where it is mostly used.

Offline philbert

• Prepper
  • Infrequent TSP Forum member
    • Philarly Farm Blog
« Reply #40 on: February 02, 2013, 03:41:19 PM »
There's a great iPhone app called "Knot Guide" which is handy because wherever I go, I have it with me.

The knots I find myself using are:
 - Fisherman's Bend, for attaching the end of a rope to something
 - Double Fisherman's Knot, for attaching one rope to another
 - Trucker's Hitch, for applying tension to a rope to secure a load

Also, if you are fishing, knowing the uni-knot will be all you need in 90% of situations.

Offline Fyrediver

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #41 on: February 02, 2013, 11:19:26 PM »
I think knots being considered should be determined based on their use.  What can you do with a specific knot?  How is it useful to you?  What do you need to do and what knot will do the job needed?  Here are some of my favorites.

Bowline:  creates a fixed loop at the end of a line.  Numerous variants can create fixed loops in the body of the line, create multiple fixed loops, etc. 

Square knot: used to connect two lengths of the same size line

Sheet bend (prefer the double actually):  connects rope of different diameters

Butterfly knot:  creates a fixed loop in the body of the line.  Often used with a Trucker's hitch to tighten a rope or secure a load.

Water knot (overhand follow through):  connects two ends of webbing together

Figure 8:  creates a stopper, in a "follow through" mode it is used to tie in to a rope system for climbing etc. 

Clove hitch:  ties a line AROUND an object. 

Offline North WI Thriver

• Prepper
  • Walking to Freedom from WI: Destination TBA.
« Reply #42 on: February 14, 2013, 10:41:17 AM »
We're doing this, too!  Family goal is for my son to learn these 7 knots and for me to "master" them (tie them with my eyes closed or behind my back). 

Square Knot
Bowline
2 half Hitches
Taut Line
Clove Hitch
Bow Line
Sheet Bend

There are vids for these knots here: http://artofmanliness.com/2009/06/24/7-basic-knots-every-man-should-know/

Offline LELady

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #43 on: February 14, 2013, 06:42:02 PM »
One of my 13 skills as well.  I bought a foldable laminated card (good for a BOB quick reference) at Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Knots-How-To-Guide-Purposeful-Pocket/dp/1583553231/ref=sr_1_fkmr2_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1360892352&sr=1-1-fkmr2&keywords=knot+tying+laminated

Offline Breal191

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #44 on: February 25, 2013, 06:23:34 PM »
Bowline very dependable tough knot. Easy to untie. 
Square aka reef knot. used to tie the reefing lines of a sail on a sailboat
figure 8 aka stopper knot. used to stop the line from coming out of the block on a sailboat. East to untie. 
Constricter knot. gets tighter and tighter as you pull on ends. difficult or impossible to untie once tightened. 
Clove hitch.

Offline shane87

• Prepper
« Reply #45 on: February 26, 2013, 05:50:55 PM »
Bowline and one hand bowline
Taughtline hitch
Clove hitch
Figure 8 follow through and figure 8 on a bight
Half hitch

Offline AshenChore

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #46 on: February 28, 2013, 10:23:37 AM »
I really like the Palomar knot when fishing.  Easy enough to do in the dark (at least I am able) and super strong, won't come undone. 

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #47 on: February 28, 2013, 12:15:04 PM »
I really like the Palomar knot when fishing.  Easy enough to do in the dark (at least I am able) and super strong, won't come undone. 

i had to look that one up. interesting knot.

Offline surfrescue

• Prepper
« Reply #48 on: March 01, 2013, 10:47:07 AM »
As a professional technical rescuer, the most common knots, bends and hitches I use are:
Figure Eight (including directional and on a bight)
Bowline
Water knot
overhannd
half hitch (usually two half hitches, then an overhand)
timber hitch for quickly moving equipment.
Munter hitch

Offline Kilted Brewer

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #49 on: March 03, 2013, 07:18:43 PM »
Thanks for all the resources everyone.  I listed this as one of my skills, and while I know lots of knots good for flyfishing, that's about it.

I think I have some clothesline type cord in the basement.  Time to cut up some hanks and start practicing!