Author Topic: N00b need halp!  (Read 2230 times)

Offline Theswerd

• Repeat after me...
  • Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
N00b need halp!
« on: January 16, 2013, 02:45:31 PM »
I am looking to learn how to Crochet. I had played around in the past with it, but since I added it to my 13 skills, I figured I might start here for advice.

What would be a good starter project for someone wanting to learn to crochet? I would like to do projects that are practical, hats, scarves, etc. Also, I have large fingers and ... not large eyes. So something with a medium to large thread is preferable.

Ideas?

Thanks. Theswerd.

Offline inconel710

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Not-so-New TSP Forum member
    • My 13Skills Blog
Re: N00b need halp!
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2013, 02:51:00 PM »
When my wife crocheted a few years back, she went through the pattern books at Wal-Mart and started with simple projects like scarfs and small blankets.  Find a pattern you like, with simple or beginner stitches and start there.  Avoid embellishments until you're comfortable.

MightyRunt

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2013, 05:55:06 PM »
For starting out, there's always the old standby basic crocheted squares. They can be assembled into hats, scarves, blankets, pot holders, rugs, vests, skirts etc. Basic squares do up fast and you can use inexpensive odd lots of yarn like you might find cheap at Goodwill.

Offline Theswerd

• Repeat after me...
  • Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2013, 05:52:27 AM »
For starting out, there's always the old standby basic crocheted squares. They can be assembled into hats, scarves, blankets, pot holders, rugs, vests, skirts etc. Basic squares do up fast and you can use inexpensive odd lots of yarn like you might find cheap at Goodwill.

Oooh... now there is an idea. Hrm.

Well, I think my first step is to swing by Hobby Lobby this payday and find a starter hook. I don't recall seeing any thread on my last visit to goodwill, so I'll probably grab some thread also. Then I will just look up a pattern online and see how it goes.

If I post an image of myself covered in thread and holding up a white flag, you know happened...

Offline LJH

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2013, 06:52:21 PM »
Crochet is a really useful skill to have! Check out some classes at Craftsy: http://www.craftsy.com/ They're very reasonable, you can interact with the teachers and IIRC, once purchased they don't expire, so you can go back and revisit the stuff you forget. POST PICS once you've made something, 'K?