Author Topic: Your 2013 herbal garden  (Read 897 times)

Offline ktmae1229

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
    • Natural Law, Catholic Life
Your 2013 herbal garden
« on: January 18, 2013, 01:34:10 PM »
I'm elbow-deep in seed catalogs as I plan what to plant this year. One thing I know is that I'd like to increase my herb plantings, both perennial and annual plants. What are you planning to grow - for cooking? for medicinal purposes?

Last year I established rosemary, thyme, sage, oregano and mint in a planting bed in my front yard and left room to plant cilantro, basil and parsley each spring. I'd like to grow ginger in a nearby spot. In a less visible place in our back yard I'm going to (intentionally - ha!) grow dandelion and plantain. I'd love some ideas for more herbs & useful plants that you've grown or will be trying this year.
Married, Homeschooling mother of five
Twitter --> @KatieKolodzy

Offline Joe in TN

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
Re: Your 2013 herbal garden
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2013, 04:12:27 PM »
In addition to what you're growing I am growing borage, catnip and lemon balm.  All multi-purpose herbs for me.  I use the borage for eating and feeding the rabbits.  Catnip for pest control and feeeding the rabbits.  Lemon balm for feeding rabbits and making teas.

Joe

Offline BiggBake

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2013, 05:45:08 PM »
Just bought the culinary herb garden pack from mypatriotsupply.com.  It includes thyme, oregano, dill, basil, parsley, cilantro, sage, and chives.  Going to by their medicinal herb pack next week that contains the more popular medicinal herbs.

Offline Sarcasmo

• Prepper
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2013, 05:49:23 PM »
Garlic! - easy to grow, tons of uses.
Onions also.  Hint on the onions.  Leave them in the ground, and use the tops for flavoring your dishes.  Just take a little from different plants and the tops will grow back.   :)

Offline Skunkeye

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2013, 08:32:03 PM »
I'll second the recommendation for catnip.  It actually works pretty well as a mosquito repellent, and makes a very relaxing herbal tea.  The only problem is if you have neighborhood cats, they may decide to roll around in it every night and eventually destroy your catnip patch.  Ask me how I know!   ;)

Comfrey is something I've only recently started growing, but it has some great medicinal uses. 

I love trying new kinds of basil - lemon basil, lime basil, large leaf, small boxwood basils, you name it, I'll try it.  Let it go to flower, and you'll have more bees than you know what to do with.  They love the stuff.

Lemon verbena is another nice herb for culinary use.  Makes a great seasoning for chicken.

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests.” - Patrick Henry

Offline joeinwv

• The Bee Whisperer
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2013, 09:01:23 PM »
Basil, oregano, mint, chives, parsley, rosemary, lavendar, cilantro, green onions, chervil, lemon verbena, thyme, sage. Always grow.

I have grown borage and horehound - don't have use for either. Not growing again.

I usually fine one or two new things to play around with each year.

Offline ktmae1229

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
    • Natural Law, Catholic Life
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2013, 05:30:59 PM »
Great ideas, everyone - thank you!
Married, Homeschooling mother of five
Twitter --> @KatieKolodzy

Offline hedgewitch

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2013, 10:32:42 AM »
Do not plant your basil near your rosemary it will kill it

Offline rikkrack

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Permaculture Entrepreneur
    • Wolf-Beach Farms
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2013, 11:37:30 AM »
Lemon balm is also good against mosquitoes. But will grow everywhere if not careful. I have issues when I get bit by mosquitoes so we plant all over the yard and every so ofter I take a piece and rub on open skin. No bites last year.
www.wolfbeachfarms.com

Co-Founder and Educator at www.midwestsustainable.org

Aquaponics/Permaculture Entrepreneur

"You have a moral obligation to screw the government every chance you can." G-pa Wolf

Offline SKL

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2013, 03:00:17 PM »
Today I started some seeds for cumin, black cumin, anise, and sweet mace. Mostly because the anise needs a very long growing season and I live in a shorter season area (Michigan). I have a patch of lemon balm and all summer I use the leaves fresh on our lunch salads along with a bit of basil, dill leaf, shiso, basil, and parsley. Makes a great salad addition. The shiso also is supposed to make a great tea from the dried leaves and is self seeding once you get it going. I have the dark red/maroon version and it makes a beautiful plant too.

Offline endurance

• Dances With Newfies
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2013, 04:30:06 PM »
If you're looking to add some medicinals, make sure you check out Horizon Herbs.  I've ordered them for the last two years and have been very happy with their selection and the robustness of the plants they ship out.  Their selection is truly remarkable, but be sure to check out the plant information to be sure you're putting in things that will grow in your soil and climate zone. 
"There are things that you don't question when your home always smells like baking bread."  From The Hunger Games

“No nation could preserve its freedom in the midst of continual warfare.”   James Madison