Author Topic: Suggestions for a small EDC bag?  (Read 2785 times)

Offline mike77

• Survivalist Mentor
Suggestions for a small EDC bag?
« on: January 18, 2013, 09:18:32 PM »
I've been carrying a small bag for EDC that I got from Cheaper Than Dirt. Considering the source, it's lasted surprisingly long but it's about to come apart. So I need to replace it. It's about 6"wide x 5"deep x 8" high and I'd like to get something similarly sized. The problem is that everything I'm finding in that range looks very much like a purse. Does anyone have any suggestions of a bag to look at? I like the look of the Maxpedition Gearslinger and similar, they're just larger than I want to carry.

Offline smithy1983

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Re: Suggestions for a small EDC bag?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2013, 11:39:44 AM »
Have you thought about a 'Messenger' style bag?

Offline Dusti

• Prepper
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2013, 11:47:33 AM »
Might take a look at the 5.11 Moab bags. There are two sizes and they have buckle attachments available to connect them to a larger backpack.
Do not be so afraid of being wrong that you never dare to be right.

Offline Fyrediver

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2013, 03:29:14 PM »
Check out the lumbar packs at places like REI.com .  Non-tactical and a wide range of sizes.  There are even extra full suspender shoulder straps (strapettes) available for the Mountainsmith versions. 

I carry a Mountainsmith Day TLS and have the "Strapettes" which make carrying it easier if it's completely filled up.  If it's not full, I just use the regular single shoulder strap and keep the waist belt tucked away.  I also have stuff arranged in Cubes that I can put in as needed.  I have one small one with food, one small one with "survival gear" such as a knife, Leatherman, matches and lighter, flashlight. . . I can always leave modules behind if I don't need them. 

Offline Aussie-SPG

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2013, 04:34:16 PM »
Hey I posted on another section about this bag, but I love it and this may suit your needs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cTGmyk4YKY

http://www.maxpedition.com/store/pc/FATBOY-VERSIPACK-4p31.htm
Knowing is not enough we must apply,
Willing is not enough we must do.
Bruce Lee

Offline GodFearingMan

• Prepper
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2013, 06:50:29 PM »
I would suggest a small backpack, that what I carry. Where I am a maxpedition pack or something similar would stand out, everyone carries backpacks though. I keep mine light but I can scale it up depending on the day or weather. Just my 2 cents. I use an Oakley backpack and am very pleased with how long it has held up going on 3 years wearing it everyday.

Offline GreekMan

• Dedicated Contributor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2013, 04:39:41 PM »
I ahve a chinese copy of it and thanks god I dd not spent more money on an original.

you see..its kind a jack of all trades.

i.e. let's suppose you go for a few hours hike. You must get a ponco, a nalegne bottle & a cup and small first aid kit and survival tin, a few bars to chow on, an AAA flashlight, a cellphone, a mora knife and a radio. maube your CCW
The versipack wil be full by now. But then you are left with no room /no way to put your light fleece jacket.

A backpack the size of a scholl bag is the right one to put all these
The Greek Preparedness Blogspot
Content in English
Facebook Page

Offline endurance

• Dances With Newfies
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2013, 04:49:24 PM »
One option that I have is from Deal Extreme.  Super cheap, it's not going to last you a lifetime, but mine has held up for two years and counting now.  Not bad for a $21 knock off.
"There are things that you don't question when your home always smells like baking bread."  From The Hunger Games

“No nation could preserve its freedom in the midst of continual warfare.”   James Madison

Offline Skunkeye

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2013, 10:56:48 PM »
Have you looked at small camera bags?  There's a nearly infinite variety of sizes and shapes.  Something like this, perhaps:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/652569-REG/Lowepro_LP36106_0EU_Adventura_140_Shoulder_Bag.html

Another option for small-medium size bags are "military surplus" style map cases:

http://www.armynavyshop.com/map-dcoument-cases.html
"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests.” - Patrick Henry

Offline ncjeeper

• Most Noble Order of the Garter Snake
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Oooops!
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2013, 12:08:53 AM »
You tried military surplus stuff on ebay? Tons of stuff to choose from.
The early bird gets the worm.....But the second mouse gets the cheese.

Offline Ralph

• Survivor
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2013, 11:32:37 AM »
Recently I started looking for a messenger style bag to carry all my clutter and occasionally a laptop to and from work. I was almost ready to buy Maxpedition's Larkspur and picked out a few pouches to Velcro on the inside. The Larkspur was the right size and my other Maxpedition stuff has held up well. The I remembered to check out SurvivalGearBags.com There I found a Hazard 4 MOD messenger bag. It was about the same size as the Maxpedition and 1 inch wider. YouTube had a video on the MOD from Equip2Endure which ultimately convinced me to place an order for the MOD with Survival Gearbags. After using it for about a week I couldn't be happier.

Both the Maxpedition and Hazard 4 run around $150. The inside of the Max is covered in Velcro so you could stick all kinds of accessories to it. The MOD has some Velcro and lots of PAL webbing on the inside. The MOD has an internal separate water resistant padded compartment, perfect for my small electronic stuff. I took 2 small pouches I had, one a small tool kit and the other a small EDC kit, and clipped them to the webbing inside. I also clipped a water bottle to the webbing so it stays upright and in place. When closed the bag doesn't stand out, in fact it looks kind of plain. I didn't get a chance to post a question about Cordura's water resistance, but one night walking to my Jeep it started raining. I saw the rain bead up and run off the bag's flap which answered my question, NICE.

If in the market for a messenger bag, check out Hazard 4's MOD bag at Survival Gearbags. While the price between it and the Max are about the same, if you have to buy a handful of hook and loop accessories for the Max, the MOD is cheaper. Check out the YouTube videos.

Offline Cryptozoic

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2013, 10:37:50 AM »
http://www.thepathfinderstore.com/packs-bags/?sort=bestselling
I am very fond of the "Pathfinder Haversack" (2nd row on the left).  It is oilcloth.  Manly in appearance and does not look like a purse.
I have one and it's built tough.  There is no closure, the flap has a pouch in it but is held down by gravity.
It's basically a mountain man possibles bag.
"For the world is hollow... and I have touched the sky!"

"Whenever we take away the liberties of those whom we hate we are opening the way to loss of liberty for those we love."
-Wendell L. Wilkie-
(1892-1944)

Offline bcksknr

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Child of the Cold War
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2013, 11:02:29 AM »
     I have two 5.11 Moab bags, one a little more covert (civilian). The problem I've found with them is that they have a single shoulder strap. I guess the idea is to carry it in a cross-body configuration. The issue is that they both balance poorly and try to hang away from my back, awkwardly pulling away from my body. One even has a second clumsy horizontal strap, to correct this I suppose. Somehow I thought I could configure the shoulder strap to make the bag hang at my side, like a messenger bag. Because of the way the single strap is sewn into the middle of the bag, this is impossible. Don't even ask why I bought the second one! Access to the bag is awkward and someone could easily empty it for you from behind in a crowded urban setting. To make matters worse, I ordered a separate pistol module that attaches on the outside. Found out it only has a velcro attachment, no buckles or a more secure way to secure it. It could easily fall off. Although extremely well made and sturdy, I feel the design is flawed, which I don't understand considering the hype about being tactical tested. My advice: buy a messenger type bag that you can sling from one shoulder and have at your side, not your back.

Offline Black November

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Lifetime MSB Member
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2013, 05:31:20 PM »
I'm about to scale down to a minimalist setup Maxpedition 10 x 4 Water bottle carrier.  I have a Falcon II GHB that I take to work everday, but when I am out an about running errands, I rarely bring a backpack. My wife religiously carries a water bottle everywhere we go, and I find myself regularly asking her for a sips of water. She jokes about how I prepare for  Armageddon, but not for the mundane. My new philosophy is to simplifying my edc to the bare essentials. That way I'm much more likely to bring it with me.

Over the years I have stocked my gear bags with all kinds of crap that I never end up using. It is time to go back to the basics prepare for the mundane!

Example: The bic lighter in my pocket can light over 3000 fires. Do I really need as fire steel, Fresnel Lens, char cloth, bow and drill, and flint striker? Knowing how to make primitive fire is a good skill to have, but the odds of lighting bithday candles at an office party are much more likely than a post apocolyptic world where lighter fuel is scarce.

Offline BULL-IT

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2013, 08:36:18 AM »
I love the maxpedition bags. I have one for me and one for the wife with a very similar set up in this video. This is actually the one that got me to buy it. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BWM9wJI7jQ&feature=youtube_gdata_player