Author Topic: Essential Oils  (Read 14381 times)

Offline Badhog

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
Essential Oils
« on: January 19, 2013, 05:03:54 PM »
I was always skeptical of trying these, but after helping with a sinus infection I've been converted. Has anyone else stocked some of these for emergency prep?  One company even sells a Dr.'s kit.

(I don't sell these or have any vested interest other than they have helped me)

Offline Aussie-SPG

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Re: Essential Oils
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2013, 06:15:47 PM »
I have been using Essential Oils for years for bruises, burns, sprains and the like. There are a myriad of books out there to give recipes for all sorts of ailments my favourite web site to use for reference is.

http://www.sunspirit.com.au/conditions/category/Sunspirit/a-z-health

Some of the headings are a little new age for me however the recipe’s for things like bruising, pains etc. are great.

Some basic oils to keep on hand are Eucalyptus, Tee Tree, Lavender, Peppermint, Sandal wood, Lemon Grass, Comfrey Cream, and Natural Bees Wax (for topical delivery).   

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2013, 09:58:48 PM »
I think I have 40-50 kinds. They live in a basket in my bathroom. I use them from everything from the bath to cure what ails me to soaps, lotions, ringworm from cattle, dandruff treatments for others etc.

My picks if I could only have 5:
  • Peppermint
  • Lavender
  • Tea Tree
  • Birch
  • Sweet Orange

Cedar

EOTS

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2013, 06:19:24 AM »
We started making the transition this past year -- we don't have them so much for preps as for everyday use (store what you use/use what you store, etc). EO's, herbs, herbal blends and tinctures for remedies. DH & I didn't realize how much of a transition we'd made until we had a relative staying with us who asked for a specific OTC medication, and we had NO OTC medication in the house. At all.

I have a book entitled "Advanced Aromatherapy" that I got on Amazon that does a pretty good job of explaining how EO's work in the body. It's not "the" book to have, but it was in my price range at the time and it has been a decent (if not ideal) quick reference as well.

Offline ID_Joker

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2013, 10:36:29 AM »
Badhog -- What did you use to help out with your sinus infection?

Cedar -- If you could download your brain into a.pdf I think a lot of us might find it helpful.  :)

Offline RitaRose1945

• Survival Veteran
  • Asking the uncomfortable questions since 1964
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2013, 01:19:45 PM »
I tried to give some oregano oil to my 21-year-old son a while back for some sinus crud he had.  He smirked and called it "voodoo crap" or something.  He came over the next day, feeling worse and desperate enough to give it a shot (he doesn't have insurance).  He totally gagged on it, which I figured was payback for the voodoo remark.  The day after, he came by again, wanting "some more of that black magic stuff" because it made him feel so much better.

Other than that, I haven't really tried any of the essential oils yet.  I have some Frankincense in my purse because it's supposed to help decrease brain swelling after a head injury, and I've had seven concussions, but I (thankfully) haven't had a chance too use it yet.  I'm also looking to see if peppermint will help with migraines.

Cedar -- If you could download your brain into a.pdf I think a lot of us might find it helpful.  :)

Cedar would put a computer to shame.

Offline Badhog

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2013, 02:04:14 PM »
I usually get a bad sinus infection or two every spring and fall. This year a family member gave me a mix of something they said was a "natural antibiotic".  Sometimes I'd rather not know what's in alternative medicine things, but I took a look since you asked Joker. Thankfully, nothing strange was in it :)

It's called On Guard and this is from their site (I cut some of the fluff out):

"Wild orange essential oil, combined with clove, cinnamon, eucalyptus and rosemary offer a fragrant, natural and effective alternative to synthetic options for immune support. It is also safe to use on counter tops, as a non-toxic way to cleanse surfaces, or to purify the atmosphere by diffusing. On Guard is superb for eliminating and controlling pathogens due to the potency of its constituents. For aromatic, topical, or dietary use."

Maybe it's just the placebo effect, but it worked quickly. I've put it directly on the outside of my sinuses and it opened them up. It burned like crud...they left that little bit off their site.

A few things I like for S&P is there doesn't seem to be an expatriation date on oils. The brand I've used also has a doctor's kit, but I have no idea what's in there or how to use them. I'd be interested to see if other brands have things like that as well.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2013, 03:17:02 PM »

It would help me out too. Archer?

Cedar

Offline hedgewitch

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2013, 09:37:11 AM »
i am definitely stocking up on essential oils they are small and have so many uses, i do not use any other medicine and haven't since 1996 and we are all VERY healthy

Offline rikkrack

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Permaculture Entrepreneur
    • Wolf-Beach Farms
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2013, 09:51:42 AM »
Wife got into the oils and I was skeptical. 16 years in pharmaceuticals slanted my view. She started out with a small starter kit. I have noticed a great difference in various ways when she uses them.

We now use on kids when they are congested. Works wonders and natural. Also has a diaper rash cream she made with them and works better than store bought stuff on the baby.

I have used for burns, scrapes, congestion, infections, and has really worked out well.

Expanding to use them in toothpaste, deodorant, shampoo, soaps, and shampoos. Part of my 13 skills.

No longer skeptical.

We did learn that there are different qualities and purities. I learned ONLY use therapeutic oils. And there was a huge price difference between two main brands she uses. We were not brand loyal and use some from company A and some from company B.

Offline Badhog

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2013, 10:20:49 AM »
Wow, I didn't realize they could be used for all those things. I know there are times to see a professional, but I love finding ways to take care of myself for smaller problems.

I just did a simple Google search and found a chart of potential uses...
http://www.family-essential-oils.com/essential-oil-use-chart.html

Here is some info from Livestrong.com

From Burns to Infection

Medical use of essential oils developed by accident when in 1928 a French chemist working for a cosmetics firm was injured in an explosion. He dipped his hand in a vat of lavender oil, and according to Charla Devereaux, in her book, "The Arometherapy Kit," discovered his hand healed in record time without scarring.
Lavender oil remains the best treatment for burns. A drop of lavender applied directly to the wound will relieve the pain. Lavender soothes, not only burns, but troubled spirits. Medical facilities use it to treat insomnia. A few drops of lavender on a pillow case can help fussy babies sleep.
Rosemary and camphor oils contain the medicinal ingredients found in many sinus remedies. One sniff and the scent is immediately recognizable. A few drops in bowl of hot water open clogged sinuses. The oils can be added to the water in a standard vaporizer. Placing an open bottle of rosemary under one's nose and inhaling is sufficient to receive its effects.
Like many essential oils, camphor and rosemary are antiseptic and antibacterial. Tea tree is antibacterial, antifungal and anti-viral. Added to a bucket of cleaning solution, tea tree can destroy cold and flu viruses on household surfaces.
Chamomile oil takes away the sting of nettles and soothes minor skin irritations. It is also antiseptic and antibacterial. It is so safe it can be used on children, and like lavender, chamomile has calming effects.
Certain oils invigorate and rejuvenate. Lemon oil stimulates. Added to the a foot bath, it revives sore feet. Lemon added to a cleaning solution kills bacteria and mold, like tea tree, but has a much more pleasant aroma.
Many essential oils have preservative properties. They have been used for millenea. Combined with myrrh, Egyptian priests used frankincense to preserve mummies' skin. A drop or two added to lotions--face, foot, hand or body--will help preserve living tissue too. Frankincense is still a staple in the perfume industry, used to preserve the scent.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/98712-medical-uses-essential-oils/#ixzz2Ij3jGRVU

And here is a list of 25 uses I found interesting
http://simplehomemade.net/25-uses-for-essential-oils/

I'm kind of shocked I haven't heard more about these for prepping purposes.

Offline rikkrack

• Dedicated Contributor
    • Wolf-Beach Farms
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2013, 10:24:14 AM »
Yup, wife actually give a class at our local prepper store on oils and medicinal herbs.

Between diet, medicinal, and culinary herbs, and essential oils you could eliminate vast majority of chemicals and pharmaceuticals in your life.

Offline DebinMass

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2013, 06:32:25 PM »
Badhog,

The OnGuard you describe is very similar to Four Thieves blend essential oil, which is clinically proven to kill virus much better than Purel.   As a matter of fact, if you make your own laundry soap, counter spray, home cleaner, add this EO blend to kill bacteria and other nasties.   

One thing has me a little hesitant with becoming to dependent on EOs, it takes a large quantity of plant product to make a very small amount of EOs through the distillation process.   In a grid down or shtf situation, I think all the stills would be used for moonshine and EOs wouldn't be high on the list.  What are people's thoughts on this.

Deb

Offline Badhog

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2013, 08:07:37 PM »
I think if you store enough it won't be a problem. They last a very long time from what I've been told.

The only thing that would worry me is your body becoming resistant if taken too much.

Offline Frugal Upstate

• Dedicated Contributor
  • aka Jenn Fowler and Jenn @ Frugal Upstate ;)
    • Frugal Upstate
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2013, 04:48:56 AM »
I've used peppermint & lavender on my temples for a headache- interested to hear more about exactly what to use for sinuses.

I agree that while a great health resource-in truly long term difficult times EOs might be hard to come by.  I think knowing as many ways-traditional, EO & locally crafted herbals, make me the most comfortable about talk gbcare of my family's health in difficult times.  Redundancies!  Of course I have TONS to learn in all those areas-I'm just staring out.

EOTS

« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2013, 09:01:21 AM »
One thing has me a little hesitant with becoming to dependent on EOs, it takes a large quantity of plant product to make a very small amount of EOs through the distillation process.   In a grid down or shtf situation, I think all the stills would be used for moonshine and EOs wouldn't be high on the list.  What are people's thoughts on this.

My 2¢.

I looked into the process, and I agree there's an issue here. Remember, many EO's are produced in other countries, so grid aside, they may not be imported or transported here.

I am also of the stock up opinion. EO's hold their potency unlike dried herbs. I'd rather be well stocked on EO's and use them judiciously. Then I can raise the herbs I need and want for salves, infusions poultices, fomentations, etc.

Offline entrepreneur724

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2013, 09:38:44 AM »
I'm actually about ready to order some essential oils for the first time. Does anyone have any brand recommendations? I've heard good things about Young Living but that's all.

Offline rikkrack

• Dedicated Contributor
    • Wolf-Beach Farms
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2013, 09:42:43 AM »
Wife just got in The Essential Oil Desk Reference 5th edition.

Was a little pricey but has TONS of info. I don't think she got from amazon but here is the amazon link. It has treatments for just about everything.

http://www.amazon.com/Essential-Oils-Pocket-Reference-Edition/dp/0983518327/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1358958783&sr=8-2&keywords=essential+oil+desk+reference

She got her from the publisher Life science publishing

She has been reading and flipping through it for the last few days.

Her "I didn't know that."
Me "What"
Her "You can use.... for .... to treat...."

After hearing that like 30 times I kinda tune it out. But apparently is VERY useful for her.
I just do what she tells me

Offline rikkrack

• Dedicated Contributor
    • Wolf-Beach Farms
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2013, 09:46:29 AM »
I'm actually about ready to order some essential oils for the first time. Does anyone have any brand recommendations? I've heard good things about Young Living but that's all.

Wife uses Young Living for things she can't find in Now brand. She has done some research into the differences and different companies.

Find a consultant for Young Living. Might be good to find one in your area if you have specific questions and or hands on time.  It is cheaper than direct buying, she became one just to get the discount.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2013, 10:37:28 AM »
I think if you store enough it won't be a problem. They last a very long time from what I've been told.

Keep them in dark, well sealed bottles in a cool and dark place.

Cedar

Offline Twibble

• Survivor
  • I forgot what I was thinking...
    • Trepanation for the Sane
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2013, 10:43:49 AM »
Wife uses Young Living for things she can't find in Now brand. She has done some research into the differences and different companies.

Find a consultant for Young Living. Might be good to find one in your area if you have specific questions and or hands on time.  It is cheaper than direct buying, she became one just to get the discount.

I've been using the Now brand, and they do seem to help with things (sinuses and salve are the 2 main things I've used them for so far).  They're also the only ones that I can actually fit into my budget right now, so I haven't really tried other brands much.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2013, 10:46:29 AM »
I'm actually about ready to order some essential oils for the first time.

I get mine out of Vancouver, British Columbia. I don't have the name handy right now, but they have pure essential oils, no fragrance oils and they were the best price I could find. Been happy with them over the years. That said, I also picked up a bunch on clearance at Save On Foods, which allowed me to get some which I normally would not have picked up.. like Basil, or Clary Sage... and I have used them for various things since.

Cedar

Offline entrepreneur724

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2013, 02:43:51 PM »
...she became one just to get the discount.

Solid. I'll look into it. I plan on using oils and stop using any traditional OTC meds. Should save me a decent amount of money. Thanks for the tip!

Offline Badhog

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2013, 02:11:41 PM »
Doterra is the only brand I've used, but I'm open to others.

Offline goataroo

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2013, 07:52:33 AM »
Has anyone tried essential oils from Western Botanical?  The few EOs I have are from YL.  I am satisfied with the product,  but they are a bit pricey. 

Beth

Offline Sweethearts Mom

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2013, 09:12:53 AM »
Here is where I get mine. Very high standards

http://www.essentialdepot.com/

Offline eph2

• Survivor
« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2013, 07:42:27 AM »
I have read that many lower grade oils can actually be harmful (for the same reason essential oils are so effective, they get into your body easily:  bad stuff in, bad results).  Does anyone know anything more about this?

Offline OKCPrepper

• Survivor
« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2013, 11:08:00 PM »
Has anyone tried essential oils from Western Botanical?  The few EOs I have are from YL.  I am satisfied with the product,  but they are a bit pricey. 

Beth

I have been trying 4 oils I bought from Western Botanical. Sweet Basil, Spearmint, Clove and Peppermint. I have a muscle and joint blend I make up and these are 4 of the 6 ingredients I use in it. The other 2 are Wintergreen and Lavender. I blend equal amounts of each into an old YL bottle, 25 drops of each and then fill the bottle the rest of the way up with V6 oil. I like the roll-on tip the best for application. I have had great success with this.

As long as I am using the EO in a topical application, I am willing to try other brands. I buy a LOT of herbs from Western Botanical and really like their products so I decided to try some of their oils too. When it comes to an oil I take internally, I stick with the YL products.

I have been using YL essential oils for over 2 years now. I love the product and hate the marketing plan. My mother has been in YL for over 25 years and bugged me for a long time to use them. I pretty much ignored her until I came down with a mild hypertension condition. I began looking into herbal and EO as a possible way off the pharmaceuticals.

My wife has been dealing with MS for over 23 years as well as a hypothyroid condition. She hates doctors and doesn't trust most of them. She was told back when she was first diagnosed with MS that she would be in a wheelchair by the time she was 45. She has always been a fitness buff, aerobics a she loves to run. The MS and thyroid condition was slowly wearing her down, but overall she was doing a lot better than the doctors said she would. She refused to take any of their prescriptions. A lot of it with her was sheer stubbornness and willpower. She continued to work out despite the fact that that the doctors told her it would be bad for her to do so.

2 years ago this winter she was experiencing a lot of trouble with her thyroid, body temp below 94 degrees. I had already been starting my own herbal regimen for my hypertension. I did some research on her condition and started mixing her an herbal tea along with several herbal capsules I make on a daily basis. I saw a marked inprovement in about 48 hours and in 72 hours she was a different person. We are both in our late 50's and have seen a marked improvement in out health and stamina over the past 2 years we have been on these products.

She is now 59 and 2 weeks ago she ran a 10K in 59 minutes, that is one minute for each year of life. So much for that high paid doctors diagnosis. I won't mention where she said he could put that wheelchair. I have been off my BP medications for over a year now. We both got involved in the Paleo diet a year ago, she trimmed 5-6 pounds off that SHE claimed she needed to loose. I have dropped 60 pounds on the Paleo.

It is a challenge to take on the responsibility for ones own health, but something we have both worked hard on. Essential oils have played a large part in this, so has herbs and diet. I personally focus on herbal remedies first and use essential oils secondary.

Offline goataroo

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2013, 01:29:18 PM »
OKCPrepper: Thanks for the thoughtful response to my question.  Your wife's determination in dealing with her MS is really inspirational.   

I've been doing a lot of reading about herbalism and essential oils, and am just getting started on the experimental phase.   Looking for ways to deal with chronic stress and fatigue.  (I'm pretty sure the fatigue is a result of the stress.  ;D  ) I'll probably follow your lead and turn to Western Botanical for topical use EOs only. 

Beth

Offline soupbone

• Once made a pun out of "Mephistopheles"
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • If you think you're close enough - get closer.
« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2013, 02:47:39 PM »

What, you got an NSA surplus Cray-1A as your PC?  ??? Can't think of anything else big enough to hold Cedar's brain. Unless, of course, it's Lazarus Long's Dora.  ;D

soup