Author Topic: Essential Oils  (Read 14362 times)

Offline fred.greek

• Survivalist Mentor
Re: Essential Oils
« Reply #30 on: March 12, 2013, 07:16:44 PM »
I accept the value of “essential oils”, and other “natural” medical assets.  In a long-term survival situation though, the key would seem to be obtaining such on an on-going sustainable basis. 

Offline OKCPrepper

• Survivor
« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2013, 12:09:14 AM »
I accept the value of “essential oils”, and other “natural” medical assets.  In a long-term survival situation though, the key would seem to be obtaining such on an on-going sustainable basis.

I agree with your statement Fred, that is why my personal focus is on the herbal side of things first. I have a shoe box full of essential oils and supplements for a wide variety of the more serous situations. I also have over 60 different cut and powdered herbs, the ones we use on a fairly regular basis I have over a pound of each kind stored away. I am also learning what kinds of medicinal herbs grow wild in my area, what kinds I can grow successfully myself and then finally how to use those in teas and tinctures. I am all about sustainability.

In my opinion, the most important aspect of this kind of alternative medicines is to get started and work with the different herbs and oils now. Each kind of herb can have many different herbal actions, there might be 3 or 4 different ones that share similar effects, but not all of them will necessarily work for you.

Here is a quote from a spread sheet I built cataloging the herbs I store. You can see the different areas that one single herb could have an impact on. This is on Garlic.
Contains protein, phosphorus, potassium, vitamins A, B, B2, and C, calcium, sulfur, selenium, germanium, allicin, allicetoin I & 
   II, aluminum, chlorine, manganese, zinc, copper, and iron
Taken internally one of the most effective herbs for killing and expelling parasites.
Has soft oils that help to emulsify plaque and loosen it from arterial walls.
Use internally to prevent infection and to treat colds, bronchitis, and gastroenteritis. Externally for skin problems, especially 
    acne, and fungal infections.
Garlic contains a compound which is 15 times stronger than standard penicillin, builds endurance and energy

It takes sometimes weeks or months to start to see a change in your body, illness or health issue you are trying to treat. You need to know how to use those kinds of remedies when the emergency arises. I have personally dealt with Asthma for most of my life, but having been taking a variety of different herbs for the past couple years for other reasons, I have found that my Asthma is gone. I can look now at the different actions these herbs have done for me and realize what probably helped in that regard. That is just a side benefit, there are probably many other aspects of my health that have improved as well.

I can handle the summer heat much better than I could before. I don't get sick, neither my wife nor I have had even so much as a common cold what is now the third cold and flu season since we started taking the herbs and oils. Its hard to argue the success we have had in areas we were not even focusing on, let alone the success in the areas we were trying to work on.

If we do see the worst case scenarios unfold in this country some day, these kinds of things and this kind of knowledge will be worth more than anyone can imagine today. What good would a doctor do for you when he has no drugs available to give you. People with these skill sets will be highly regarded and also be protected by their local community. Look at how highly regarded the medicine man was to the American Indian. If you want a valuable survival skill, this is one at the top of my list.

Offline Byno

• Prepper
« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2013, 01:24:31 AM »
I have been interested in getting into EOs for quite a while now but know nothing about them or how to apply them. i have a few questions... first, i know there are hundreds of them out there but what would be some good ones to start out with?

also i was looking at the western botanicals website and saw that there is a blend for thyroid problems. not sure if its an EO or not. looks like one... anyway. my point is, im taking synthroid for hypothyroidsm. im currently on the lowest dose the doctor can give me and only taking it every other day. would this blend replace the meds or be something to take with the meds? i dont want to take this medicine. id rather do it the natural way.

also i have cronic back pain from being in the Marine Corps. Im taking vicodin and going to physical therapy. is there any natural thing i can take for this instead of a narcotic?

and finally, for my daughter who is almost three years old. she has had breathing problems her whole life. not asthma but a variety of other things. right now she is having problems with getting sinus infections from her allergies getting so bad. is there anything i can give her for that?

I understand that i should do more research and ask a doctor (reluctantly) before getting off medication or switching to EOs or natural remidies, and this is not the only place i should look for advice. i just figured i would get some opinions from my friends at TSP.

thanks in advance for any input :)

MadBodger

« Reply #33 on: June 03, 2013, 10:25:00 AM »
Mrs MadBodger & me both got et up by chiggers last week in what had been a (till then) chigger free area, while moving a bee swarm. Something changed overnite & we just happened to be the first ones on the menu. Chigger bites are just horrible things. We both used the On Guard blend from Doterra with great effect for itch relief.

Still... gotta say that Prevention is better than any treatment. Lesson to be taken here is just assume there ARE chiggers in what would be normally considered decent chigger habitat & prepare accordingly.

Additionally, our son in Maui had a tooth ailment hit last week just prior to picking up his sister at the airport, & the On Guard she carries everywhere worked very well in calming things down & relieving pain by rubbing on the gum. A little spicy at first but that worked itself out pretty quick. Yeah, straight clove oil would have worked as well, but that wasn't available at the time, & clove IS one of the oils in the On Guard mix. It's also a therapeutic grade which allows for ingestion in this particular oil at least (some oils are NOT to be ingested regardless of their purity).

We're slowly exchanging most of our "everyday use" oils for the therapeutic grade where it seems to be most appropriate. The cost differential is a factor. Otherwise we're happy enough with any good high grade, properly processed oil for general use. 

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #34 on: June 03, 2013, 10:36:52 AM »
It would help me out too. Archer?

Cedar

oh I so wish I could do that...

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #35 on: June 03, 2013, 10:41:02 AM »
What, you got an NSA surplus Cray-1A as your PC?  ??? Can't think of anything else big enough to hold Cedar's brain. Unless, of course, it's Lazarus Long's Dora.  ;D

soup
Not Dora, Mike from Luna.

Offline MexicanJoe

• Prepper
  • Prolific Prepper Sponge
« Reply #36 on: July 05, 2013, 08:36:20 AM »
Here in my area of NE Texas we have a Health food and supply store called Granery.

It is where I first started getting my essential oil books and oils. I went to the books to see what the recipes were then created a list based on my needs.
Now I have a very large cedar box full of oils and spare brown bottles with eye droppers.

I have made sinus mixes and thieves oil that get used regularly. some oils such as Tea Tree can be used directly but the Thieves oil is stronger.

I was converted a few years ago and my inventory grows on a monthly basis.

watch for some of my vids on youtube and you will see them used from time to time.

Offline MexicanJoe

• Prepper
  • Prolific Prepper Sponge
« Reply #37 on: July 06, 2013, 07:28:43 AM »
Very well said OKCPrepper.
The Complete Book of Essential Oils and Aroma Therapy by Valarie Ann Worwood is the one I started with.
It is very well written and is easy to access data. you can read about individual oils and what they are good at. There are recipes for mixing and doses. everything from internal to topical and for health and romance to chigger elimination.
From this book and words from fiends I had a list of oils that I wanted and just started gathering from there.

Here is where I am at now. The oils I use more of are in larger bottles and less often smaller. Keep in mind these are usually measured in drops so a 1 Oz. bottle can go pretty far.

Cinnamon cassia, Orange, Peppermint, Lemon, Rosemary, Eucalyptus, Tea Tree, Clove, Nutmeg, ylang ylang, Lavender, Grapefruit, Geranium, Tangerine, Ginger and Basil.
Grape seed oil is my base oil as it mixes well with most of these and can be ingested.

This is what I have and I still have a want list. I just try and not spend more then $20 when I go into my local store that carries oils. Like all preps if you let it you can go broke on a single set of training.

Then remember to get small extra mixing bottles and eye droppers for those bottles.