Author Topic: Aldi's store brand "Dakota" - anybody know if this is any good  (Read 5264 times)

Offline Otis

• Prepper
Aldi's store brand "Dakota" - anybody know if this is any good
« on: January 19, 2013, 09:38:58 PM »
Went by Aldi's today for the first time, and I see they have a lot of their own brand canned goods called "Dakota".  Is this stuff any good, or does it taste not so good?
Otis

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
Re: Aldi's store brand "Dakota" - anybody know if this is any good
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2013, 10:05:52 PM »
Haven't bought any of their canned Dakota brand stuff, but I love Aldi. They generally have very good products at the best prices around. Unfortunately, we have moved out of their sales region, but hope they'll eventually come out west. I'd be pretty comfortable trying their store brand stuff, based on the good experiences we had with their other products.

Offline spartan

• Ass Hat Hitman
  • Global Moderator
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Battle Hippie
    • The Permaculture Podcast
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2013, 01:25:37 PM »
I also cannot speak of the "Dakota" brand, as I don't look at the various store-brand names when shopping at Aldi.  There's a good chance I have a few cans sitting in the pantry right now from the Dakota line.

What I can speak to, as LvsChant does, is to the overall quality of the products.   When we first shopped there, years ago at this point, products were hit or miss, but generally good enough to go and stock up on the items we use regularly and avoiding what we didn't like.  Lately, however, the quality as a whole improved dramatically and Aldi is a regular part of my family's grocery shopping.  I got back from a trip there a few hours ago.

You might not like everything you buy there, but who can say that of any store?  Pick up a few cans, try it, and let us know what you think.
The Permaculture Podcast

Permaculture Design Certificate
Advanced Permaculture Course in Teaching Certificate
Graduate Student in Parks and Resource Management and Environmental Education

Offline Otis

• Prepper
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2013, 03:07:53 PM »
Thanks guys for the replies!
Otis

Offline Sulla

• Prepper
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2013, 03:33:51 PM »
We eat Aldi's Dakota brand all the time and actually prefer it to brand name in some types especially the baked beans.
You only get one shot at life. There are no do-overs. Live up to your own expectations, be proud of who you are, and above all be happy!

Offline SpareMag

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2013, 04:05:16 PM »
We eat Aldi's Dakota brand all the time and actually prefer it to brand name in some types especially the baked beans.
Agreed-we stock lots of Dakota stuff from aldi and some stuff is preferred by our family over other store brands.. and their Austrian chocolate is exquisite :)
USMC vet

Offline soupbone

• Once made a pun out of "Mephistopheles"
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Crusty Old Curmudgeon
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2013, 06:44:44 PM »
They also have great coffee - Their "Specially Selected Regular Roast Ground Coffee" is 100% Arabica, German made and comes in a 17.6 oz. vacuum sealed brick - all for $4.99.  The Fit and Active line is also pretty good.

I don't especially care for their meats, though.

soupbone
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.

----- Albert Einstein

Offline Frugal Upstate

• Survivalist Mentor
  • aka Jenn Fowler and Jenn @ Frugal Upstate ;)
    • Frugal Upstate
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2013, 07:15:14 PM »
I love Aldi. Never had any issue with their canned goods. I love their brownie mix, the smoked suasages they sell and their dairy products.
Check out my blog: Frugal Upstate 
Frugal-Sustainable-Prepared

Offline Transplant

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2013, 02:36:50 PM »
The Dakota brand is like most other canned good they are packed in water. They don't seem to be as salty as other store brands. When we lived in NC it was pretty much the only canned goods I bought. But since moving to TX the closest one is 6 hours away. I am having Aldi withdrawals :o

Offline beakerello

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2013, 08:39:42 PM »
We buy lots of canned goods, butter, sour cream, and boxed goods from Aldi's. The only thing we really don't buy at Aldi's are meats, bread, frozen foods, milk, eggs. I'm sure all these items are just as good, we just don't buy them at Aldi's.

Offline The mad Vaper

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2013, 12:42:27 AM »
I used to go to Aldiss all the time when I lived in Pennsylvania . Love their prices. Which we had one here in Wa. State

Offline Heisenberg

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2013, 07:37:23 AM »
We just got an Aldi's here a few weeks ago.  I'm gonna go check it out this weekend.

Offline Frugal Upstate

• Survivalist Mentor
    • Frugal Upstate
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2013, 08:05:40 AM »
We just got an Aldi's here a few weeks ago.  I'm gonna go check it out this weekend.

Just in case you don't know--you'll need a quarter to release a cart, and you've got to bring your own bags and pack yourself. :) 

Offline Heisenberg

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2013, 10:19:48 AM »
Checked out Aldi's yesterday.  Definitely different than the typical American grocery store.  The carts were a quarter to "check out" and the cashier didn't do anything except scan the item and put it back in the cart.

I picked up $6 worth of canned food that we eat on a regular basis - beans, tomato sauce, etc. - all Dakota brand.  The price was much less but I haven't tasted anything yet.

Offline armymars

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2013, 11:24:43 AM »
What was the expiration date on the can goods? Some of the name brands are good for two years. What about canned meats?

Offline Heisenberg

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2013, 11:53:04 AM »
What was the expiration date on the can goods? Some of the name brands are good for two years. What about canned meats?

Every can was marked either 2015 or 2016.

Offline soupbone

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Crusty Old Curmudgeon
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2013, 04:29:08 PM »
I'm glad that you were able to allay your uncertainty, Heisenberg; in principle, you should be able to save money, but I find that anything I "save" gets spent on imported chocolate, seafood and fancy cheeses.

soupbone

----- Albert Einstein

Offline Transplant

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2013, 04:45:40 PM »
Every can was marked either 2015 or 2016.

I opened a couple of cans of potatoes today and I remembered this thread so I paid attention to the expiration date. The purchase date I had written on it was 10/11 and the expiration dated was 12/15. Hopefully that helps.

Offline soccer grannie

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2013, 07:10:03 PM »
The purchase date I had written on it was 10/11 and the expiration dated was 12/15.
I mark everything with a sharpie with the 'best buy' or 'expiration date', instead of 'purchase date'. The only product I've bought from Aldis over the past 15+ yrs that I was not happy with is their flour.

Offline Transplant

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2013, 03:38:58 PM »
I mark everything with a sharpie with the 'best buy' or 'expiration date', instead of 'purchase date'. The only product I've bought from Aldis over the past 15+ yrs that I was not happy with is their flour.

The reason I do purchase date is so I can make sure first in first out. I am picky about my flour, it is the ONE product I do not cut corners on. I only buy unbleached plain flour or whole wheat and you just can't find store brands of plain unbleached flour. I usually stick to King Arthur but since we have moved to a higher elevation I have been buying Hugarian Flour it is for high altitude if it is outstock then I stick to King Arthur.

Offline soccer grannie

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2013, 03:49:01 PM »
For what it's worth ... The reason I stopped marking with the purchase date is I found out some of my later purchases had a longer best buy or expiration date. So in my case I didn't always need to use first purchased.

Offline Heisenberg

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2013, 06:57:12 AM »
Just tried the Aldi's canned corned beef hash.  It was awesome.  A little too fatty for regular breakfasts, but very tasty.  Price is about 1/3 less than the big chains, so I'm gonna go get some and bury it deep in the stash.

Offline soupbone

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Crusty Old Curmudgeon
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2013, 07:40:01 PM »
Just tried the Aldi's canned corned beef hash.  It was awesome.  A little too fatty for regular breakfasts, but very tasty.  Price is about 1/3 less than the big chains, so I'm gonna go get some and bury it deep in the stash.

Cook it, don't just warm it - it should be a bit crispy on the surface. You can also nuke it for the same effect, sort of. Their hash + a couple of eggs - YUMMY.  The hash is fully cooked, iirc, and can be eaten cold in an emergency. Never tried it that way, but it can't be worse than some MREs.

Aldi's canned corned beef is pretty good, too. If you like fish, try their canned herring fillets [several sauces available] or their sardines. For long term or SHTF situations, I would trust their canned meats more than I would anything I could preserve at home.

soup

----- Albert Einstein

Offline nelson96

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2013, 07:57:56 PM »

Okay, I have to chime in now ;D . . .  We don't have an Aldi's so I have no idea what you are talking about, but why would you ever buy canned corned beef hash?  Canned corned beef, sure, but why wouldn't you make your own hash?  I'm sure it depends on where you are from as to the way to make it, but try this and you'll never buy it canned again.

Peel and cut (dice in to small square pieces) 5 medium sized raw potatoes, do the same with 1 medium onion, add both to frying pan, also add contents of one container of corned beef, fry all three until brown and crispy, add spices to taste while cooking.

You can also substitute corned beef with smoked fish.  Canned tuna is good too.
“There are few things more pathetic than those who have lost their curiosity and sense of adventure, and who no longer care to learn.”
 ~ Gordon B. Hinckley

One hundred thousand generations of people lived and ate as hunter-gatherers, and only two generations have grown up on highly processed fast foods. . .  It's not too late

Offline Frugal Upstate

• Survivalist Mentor
    • Frugal Upstate
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2013, 10:38:24 AM »
Okay, I have to chime in now ;D . . .  We don't have an Aldi's so I have no idea what you are talking about, but why would you ever buy canned corned beef hash?  Canned corned beef, sure, but why wouldn't you make your own hash?  I'm sure it depends on where you are from as to the way to make it, but try this and you'll never buy it canned again.

In an acute situation, sometimes it's nice to have food that you can just "heat and eat" or even eat cold out of the can.  If you've spent all day cleaning up flood damage, or cutting up a tree that's blocking your driveway, or the power crashes right before dinner, you haven't got anything started and now have to spend your dinner "prep" time getting the generator hooked up etc. . .well, in those sorts of cases it's just good to have premade food on hand.  It's sort of the place where I see it as an exception to the "eat what you store/store what you eat" mantra. . . I don't usually eat a lot of premade stuff.  And in the "making your life better even if nothing goes wrong" vein--there have been a couple of times since I started storing that stuff that I DID crack into it on an evening that I just didn't feel like cooking--having it on hand prevented us from getting takeout, so it wound up saving us money.. .

Just my $.02

Offline nelson96

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2013, 06:29:08 PM »
In an acute situation, sometimes it's nice to have food that you can just "heat and eat" or even eat cold out of the can.  If you've spent all day cleaning up flood damage, or cutting up a tree that's blocking your driveway, or the power crashes right before dinner, you haven't got anything started and now have to spend your dinner "prep" time getting the generator hooked up etc. . .well, in those sorts of cases it's just good to have premade food on hand.  It's sort of the place where I see it as an exception to the "eat what you store/store what you eat" mantra. . . I don't usually eat a lot of premade stuff.  And in the "making your life better even if nothing goes wrong" vein--there have been a couple of times since I started storing that stuff that I DID crack into it on an evening that I just didn't feel like cooking--having it on hand prevented us from getting takeout, so it wound up saving us money.. .

Just my $.02

Sorry, I guess my post could have been taken as criticism, but it wasn't meant to be.  There is definitely a value in premade foods in times of crisis as you mentioned, but some may not realize how easy it is to make homemade hash, including how much better it tastes. . . .  The prep time is maybe 10 minutes longer than heat and serve, depending on your skills to peal and cut, of course.  And I figured if one has the ability to heat the premade, then the assumption is they can also fry taters.
“There are few things more pathetic than those who have lost their curiosity and sense of adventure, and who no longer care to learn.”
 ~ Gordon B. Hinckley

One hundred thousand generations of people lived and ate as hunter-gatherers, and only two generations have grown up on highly processed fast foods. . .  It's not too late

Offline jm_sol

• Prepper
« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2013, 10:11:51 PM »
The houston area has now several new Aldi stores. As we are an hour away, I would ask the forum if the prices and variety are worth the trip?

Offline soccer grannie

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2013, 10:47:55 PM »
I've shopped at Aldis for years and the only thing I've bought that I didn't like is their flour. You can sign up online for Aldis ad to be emailed to you each week - then you can compare prices.

Offline PrepperJim

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Prepping Means Resiliency and Redundancy
    • Winter Ant
« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2013, 06:43:10 AM »
I live in Houston and I've never heard of them. There is not a store near where I live, but one close-ish to where I work. I'll have to swing by on my way home from work one day and check it out.

Member Support Brigade since 3/19/2011
Blog: http://www.winterant.com

“Life, although it may only be an accumulation of anguish, is dear to me, and I will defend it.”

? Mary Shelley, Frankenstein

Offline soccer grannie

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2013, 10:59:20 AM »
Just a heads up: You have to put a quarter in the slot in order to get a grocery cart - you get your quarter back when you return the cart. Also, you must bring your own bags & sack your own groceries.