Author Topic: EZ Armor Door Reinforcement Kit  (Read 8186 times)

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Still trying to reason with hurricane season.
EZ Armor Door Reinforcement Kit
« on: January 20, 2013, 06:19:14 PM »
EZ Armor Door Security Combo Set, $68

Pro: Seems to protect from door kick-in (at least judging from the youtube videos -- I didn’t actually try kicking in my own doors!).  Not too pricey for what it does.  Doesn’t take too long to install.

Con: Maybe a little pricey for what comes in the box, but if it does the job, it’s worth it.  More involved to install than the manufacturer’s video implies.

There’s been a local rash of kick-in smash-n-grab burglaries, and considering the *ahem* quality construction of my home, some door jamb armor was overdue.  After digging around on the web for recommendations, EZ Armor looked to be the choice.  Then I dug around at a couple of local hardware stores for that or something similar, and found the LAST TWO sets of EZ Armor about to disappear off the rack at the Lowe’s up the street.  Hmm, seems like some other people are getting the same idea.

Here’s a link to the product at the manufacturer’s site: http://www.armorconcepts.com/EZ-Armor-Combo-White?sc=2&category=2728

Well, does it work?  I don’t know, I didn’t try smashing my door after installing it.  For my money, this youtube video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVqxXZKCz9E) was good enough.

After that, the remaining questions are about installation.  How easy was it?  It took me about double the advertised 30 minutes per door, plus finding-the-tools time, plus clean-up time... call three hours to equip two doors.  No, the doors don’t have to be removed for the installation, it all goes right over existing stuff.  Except for the old strike plates, which this replaces.

Things took a little bit of fitting.  Each of the steel jamb plates needed a few cuts with a Dremel tool to open a hole a fraction of an inch for the bolt to fit through.  Couldn’t get more than one of the screw holes to line up on the hinge reinforcing plates, but one should be enough.  The front door was a little too snug for the lock reinforcing plates to allow it to close, so I had to relieve the edge of the door about 1/16” with a wood rasp to countersink the plates.  The instructions were poorly written, but the whole thing was pretty simple to figure out.  There were enough diagrams, it wasn’t too bad.

The tools you’ll need aren’t too extensive: power drill, 11/64” and 9/64” drill bits, Phillips screwdriver bit, Dremel tool with several cut-off wheels (don’t forget to wear safety glasses), and a wood rasp.  An extra Phillips screwdriver was handy too.  Average-to-low homeowner carpentry skills are all you need.  Plus a few spare hours.

Bottom line, was it worth it?  Yeah, I think so.  It’s a fair chunk of change for something so simple.  A high school kid in metal shop could knock this together PDQ.  On the other hand, I don’t have a metal shop handy and needed to get this job done now, so for my situation it was worth it.  But we’ll see.  I’ll post a follow-up if I come home one day to find it’s been put to the test.  Hopefully I’ll never have to write that follow-up!

Of course, if the burglars come with lock picks this won't do a darned thing.  But that's a whole 'nother issue.

Offline Cooter Brown

• Survivalist Mentor
    • The Regular Guy Review
Re: EZ Armor Door Reinforcement Kit
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2013, 06:36:33 PM »
Nice find; thanks for the link and review.

Offline Mister Dark

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2013, 09:52:14 PM »
Great write-up! I have the EZ armor on all my exterior doors, and a home-rolled version on one interior door.  The Home made version is certainly tougher, the EZ armor sure went in place a lot faster!

Honestly, it isnt a bad price for the full system, especially if you get a couple of them at a time.

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2013, 07:59:50 AM »
And y'all're welcome.  The plates were certainly worth it.  I've been sleeping a little better and leaving the house with a little more confidence since installing the kits.  I know it didn't turn my house into Fort Knox, but it was a good step up.  Many more to go.

Anybody got some pick-resistant locks to recommend?

Offline Dangerous Dan

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2013, 05:47:16 PM »
As someone who has to put a cost on sheet metal parts for a job I have to say the price is very reasonable.

If you feel like its not a bargain I would disagree. Now as for how easy to use and effective I can't speak to that. Seems to be a solid concept thought.

Offline theBINKYhunter

• Does not fall well with plastic guns...
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Not a tactical baddass
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2013, 07:10:14 AM »
good find. this is going on my wish list of things to get.

Offline complete7

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
good recommendation
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2013, 09:07:59 AM »
i'm about to install mine now!

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
Re: good recommendation
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2013, 05:23:42 PM »
i'm about to install mine now!

Please let us know how the installation goes, especially any glitches along the way.

Offline theBINKYhunter

• Does not fall well with plastic guns...
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Not a tactical baddass
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2013, 08:30:20 AM »
Please let us know how the installation goes, especially any glitches along the way.

i seem to remember in reading the reviews that some modification was needed for some people, but not heavy mods, mostly just stuff like 'grind this bit off here so it's flush' type stuff.