Author Topic: New uses for wooden pallets  (Read 3021 times)

Offline rikkrack

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Permaculture Entrepreneur
    • Wolf-Beach Farms
New uses for wooden pallets
« on: January 23, 2013, 08:07:21 AM »
Started this out of ideas from another thread.

List creative and different uses/ideas for recycled wooden pallets. Pics are good too. I know there are websites on this as well.

Vertical grow area.

www.wolfbeachfarms.com

Co-Founder and Educator at www.midwestsustainable.org

Aquaponics/Permaculture Entrepreneur

"You have a moral obligation to screw the government every chance you can." G-pa Wolf

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
Re: New uses for wooden pallets
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2013, 09:18:10 AM »
Jason Akers put out a book called The Scrounged Homestead.  He has a bunch of ideas for using pallets.

I made a 3 bin compost bin out of pallets.
F_M
Check out my blogs at The Homestead Fritz and Camping With Fritz

Offline Frugal Upstate

• Survivalist Mentor
  • aka Jenn Fowler and Jenn @ Frugal Upstate ;)
    • Frugal Upstate
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2013, 02:57:26 PM »
Hubs built me a pallet compost bin as well!

We have mainly used them for keeping stuff up off the unfinished basement floor.
Check out my blog: Frugal Upstate 
Frugal-Sustainable-Prepared

Offline chickchoc

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2013, 05:17:15 PM »
There is a wonderful tool that makes prying the boards apart a snap.  It's also used for disassembling wooden decks.  There are a variety of models available; here are a few links:

http://www.deckwrecker.ufpi.com/7

http://www.deckmagazine.com/tools-and-equipment/tool-kit-11.aspx

This is the one I bought:  http://www.amazon.com/Mayhew-Tools-41104-CatsPaw-Wrecker/dp/B001S2QR1A

Offline Skunkeye

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2013, 05:49:59 PM »
If you have several pallets of the same size, you can attach them to 2x4 legs and make a pretty sturdy shelving system:

I've built several of these, and they will hold a tremendous amount of weight.  Very stable, especially if the heaviest items are on the bottom.  Make sure to brace diagonally to prevent racking.
"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests.” - Patrick Henry

Offline scaffdog

• Prepper
  • Sustainability, Homesteading, and Self Sufficiency
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2013, 10:22:36 PM »
If you have several pallets of the same size, you can attach them to 2x4 legs and make a pretty sturdy shelving system:

I've built several of these, and they will hold a tremendous amount of weight.  Very stable, especially if the heaviest items are on the bottom.  Make sure to brace diagonally to prevent racking.

What do you use to attach them?  Lag Screws?

Offline Skunkeye

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2013, 11:38:23 PM »
You could use lag screws, but I didn't have any on hand.  What I did was cut short (maybe 18") cross-pieces of 2x4 and screwed those onto the uprights, then slipped the pallets over those (like the way a forklift would pick up the pallet), then screwed the pallets to the cross-pieces.  I used 3" construction screws, screwing everything together from both the inside and outside.
"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests.” - Patrick Henry

Offline Nate

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Expanding my skill set: studying to be a nurse
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2013, 05:50:38 AM »
Where are good sources for pallets?   Do factories and grocery stores just let you have them if you ask? I need to build a compost bin this spring.
NATE

"This is the Law of the Yukon, that only the Strong shall thrive;
That surely the Weak shall perish, and only the Fit survive."  Robert Service

Offline rikkrack

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Permaculture Entrepreneur
    • Wolf-Beach Farms
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2013, 07:14:18 AM »
Craigslist, industrial areas, Home Depot, Kroger. Often you will need to ask. Some places are fine with you taking some have issues with it. Most food and pharmaceutical mfg reguire pallets to be plastic or metal because of pests and other organic material is brought in by wooded pallets. They switch over wooden pallets before materials enter the building.
www.wolfbeachfarms.com

Co-Founder and Educator at www.midwestsustainable.org

Aquaponics/Permaculture Entrepreneur

"You have a moral obligation to screw the government every chance you can." G-pa Wolf

Offline scaffdog

• Prepper
  • Sustainability, Homesteading, and Self Sufficiency
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2013, 01:56:52 PM »
LTL Hauling Companies like Conway or Southeastern Freight are a great source for these.  My company gets a few hundred a year from them for free.

Offline 2paranoid

• Prepper
  • You can never be 2paranoid...
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2013, 06:58:03 PM »
We're running low on firewood this year, but I've got a bunch of pallets, so I started cutting them up. Not really recycling, I know, but man does that wood burn HOT! Mostly red oak, some fir. I just took the slats and left the stringers with all the nails. Four cuts next to the stringers on each surface of the pallet with a circular saw does the trick. Using a blade you don't care too much about is recommended.

I got 200+ pounds of firewood out of 10 pallets for about an hour's work, and I have 20 more on hand to harvest. My supply is unlimited - our local Agway always has them on hand for the asking.

2p
Visit the Institute for Applied Paranoia: www.appliedparanoiablog.com

Offline pokeshell

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Against the assault of laughter nothing can stand.
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2013, 08:54:48 PM »
We're running low on firewood this year, but I've got a bunch of pallets, so I started cutting them up. Not really recycling, I know, but man does that wood burn HOT! Mostly red oak, some fir. I just took the slats and left the stringers with all the nails. Four cuts next to the stringers on each surface of the pallet with a circular saw does the trick. Using a blade you don't care too much about is recommended.

I got 200  pounds of firewood out of 10 pallets for about an hour's work, and I have 20 more on hand to harvest. My supply is unlimited - our local Agway always has them on hand for the asking.

2p

We heated my grandfather-inlaw's place in Oregon this way. We got the pallets dropped off at the house from someone that was selling sun tanning beds out of their house nearby. We did not pull the nails either. Every few weeks, just ran a strong magnet in the ashes to pull the metal out.

PokeShell

”I have a very strict gun control policy: if there’s a gun around, I want to be in control of it.”
~Clint Eastwood

Offline Sprunch

• Prepper
  • Has the gear, learning the skills
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2013, 07:09:47 AM »
As a early teen l would go to my GreatAunt's and cut and split, when l would run out of logs l would get handed a electric chainsaw and was told to get after the pallet stack, would just run it down each end and the center and the longer lengths full of nails were for the firepit, the slats kept the house toasty all winter long!

l get pallets from work, need to come up with a few projects for them...more for the Honey Do list, ah home ownership iz tha sux!
 :P

Offline kani73

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2013, 08:24:12 PM »
I get mine from the local hardware store for $1 a piece.
Serenity Farm on Zello

Offline Roundabouts

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2013, 10:35:00 AM »
Things I have used pallets for

Fencing  ( very fast easy and strong.  Works well with uneven ground. )
compost bin (was ok but not my fave)
shed for fire wood  4x 20ish  (still got 2-3 more to build)
animal shelters small med and large all different sizes
storage shed 8x10 ish
tables
shelving
keeping things off the ground.
plant stands
lumber storage shed  4x10 ish
flooring / decking supports.
animal tractors

I love building with pallets.  It's fast & easier than studding things out. Hubby would strongly disagree with that he hates using pallets.  But since I can have a 8x10ish shed built in a day by myself I will keep using them.  They are way way cheap FREE in many cases. 

We get ours from many many places.  Some people will save them for us.  Others are first come first serve.  Thats when we will pick up a star bucks card or pizza or cookies give it to the ware house guys and they will call us when there is a stack before they set them out for the taking.  some I have paid $1.00 for up to $4.00 when I ran short for a project.  The $4.00 included delivery.  That was very nice. 

It is getting harder and harder to get pallets.  Since their popularity is growing.  So when I am out and about and see one I will pop in and ask if I can have it.   Sometimes when we are out and about we take a detour around back of businesses  or industrial areas just to see sometimes we get lucky sometimes we don't. 

There is no $50 job that I can't do without a $100 worth of new tools.

Offline Cedar

• Autarkist Queen
  • Master Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2013, 10:41:04 AM »
I am considering doing something like this for my new 'other' chicken house. Like I said somewhere else on TSP, I had a 2 story barn built from pallets and it was the strongest built building ever. When I find a pic of it, I will post it.

Cedar
"Do not breathe simply to exist."

Offline janinec

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2013, 05:40:50 AM »
I know another post mentioned the fencing, but I thought it was was worth mentioning again. Jackie Clay made a pallet fence for her pigs, now that must be a sturdy fence!

Offline Cedar

• Autarkist Queen
  • Master Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2013, 10:32:39 AM »
Bat houses.

Cedar
"Do not breathe simply to exist."

Offline archer

• every day is sosdd..
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2013, 10:48:10 AM »
I like the barn idea Cedar!
And I am looking into plans now for building bat houses.

From a friend: Benjamin Franklin once said that beer is proof that God loves us.
I'm of the opinion that Redheads are proof that, contrary to popular belief, Satan also loves us.
My small blog: http://journeytogreenerpastures.blogspot.com/