Author Topic: peak 1200 watt inverter  (Read 5338 times)

Offline Tyronedeblanco

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
peak 1200 watt inverter
« on: January 26, 2013, 01:09:47 PM »
Anyone have one?  How is it?  I cannot find any good reviews online about it.  It's on amazon, but no reviews.  I found it today for 80 bucks after rebate.  Im more concerned about the quality then the price.  Ive seen Harris's inverters as well.  probably gonna get the 1600 watt whistler eventually.  I currently have the 400 watt duracell, the 800 is out of stock atm.

Offline ncjeeper

• Most Noble Order of the Garter Snake
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Oooops!
Re: peak 1200 watt inverter
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2013, 04:34:59 PM »
Sounds a tad bit expensive. You can usually find a 1000w norm/2000w peak for 100 bucks. 

Offline Skunkeye

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2013, 04:51:39 PM »
I think he's talking about a 1200/2400 watt inverter with the brand name "Peak".

I have a small jump starter/200w inverter/compressor/12v power combo made by Peak that has worked well for me so far, but I've only had it about four months or so, so I can't speak to the long-term reliability of their products. 

Offline ncjeeper

• Most Noble Order of the Garter Snake
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Oooops!
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2013, 01:37:27 AM »
Ooops. :P

Offline t00nces2

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
    • Todd's Home Repair
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2013, 05:55:24 AM »
Hi. I haven't posted much because the boards here are huge and I don't even know where to start to read and reply. However, I did read this thread and believe I have found a very good deal on a power inverter, probably inspired by the same show the prompted you to find one.... http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p2047675.m570.l1313&_nkw=NEW+Cobra+CPI1575+3000+WATT+Car+Power+Inverter+DC+To+AC&_sacat=0&_from=R40

I hope this helps.

Todd

Offline Nicodemus

• HooHa Man! AKA Docs Whipping Boy
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Wake up and smell the cat food n your bank account
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2013, 07:50:46 AM »
Some of those ebay listings are a little deceptive. The Cobra CPI 1575 is 1500 Watt continuous power and 3000 watt peak power inverter. If I recall correctly Steven Harris mentioned  that they can only run peak for a few seconds before shutting down.

I have a Cobra CPI 1575, but I haven't had a chance to put it to the test.

Offline bcksknr

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Child of the Cold War
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2013, 08:56:11 AM »
Last week I picked up a 1000w pure sign wave inverter at Menard's (a Midwest "big box" building center). They had a "if it fits into this bag you get it for 10% off" sale. It's a Sunforce Pro Series with all of the bells and whistles. I have a couple of smaller uinits, but they aren't pure sign wave output. I do some amateur astronomy and have some high end computer controlled telescope drives. I know that modified sine wave is good enough for most purposes, but I wanted clean power for when I take my scopes on location. Cost was about $211.00 (reg.$249). I haven't tried it out yet as it calls for some massive welding gauge cables for hookup. You definitely can't plug this one into a cigarette lighter socket. I will probably use heavy duty jumpercables for temporary hookup, until I decide if I want a full battery backup system for some of my home equipment. I can run the inverter off of a deep cycle battery or my truck engine, should the need arise. I already have a 45w solar panel array and charge controller, in anticipation of some sort of solar/deep cycle battery/inverter setup. I'd like to mount it all on a wheeled mobile setup rather than on the roof. Perhaps the panels could "accordian" when not in use to make it more compact. I envision it in this configuration as more of a generator cart, minus a gas engine gennerator. I already have a professionally installed gas generator for the house, for short term outages. The solar would be more for the long term. By the way, I burned out a 3500w gas genny trying to run my well pump during an outage. The start up load was more than the momentary load capacity of that genny; fried it in seconds.

Offline Nicodemus

• HooHa Man! AKA Docs Whipping Boy
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Wake up and smell the cat food n your bank account
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2013, 09:14:49 AM »
I made the mistake of reading the Cobra Manual right before I went to pick up power cables and bought some 4AWG Jumpers as it suggested instead of the 2 or 0 gauge Steven Harris suggested.

Bwaaaa bwaaaaa

Offline Tyronedeblanco

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2013, 12:53:45 PM »
Yes I did mean the "peak" brand.  I should of clarified that.

A running 3500W gen couldn't handle a well pump all by itself?  Im no pro, but that sounds odd.  Either you have a BIG well pump, something was wrong with the set up, or im off my rocker.  I thought most common well pumps only drew between 1200-1800 watts.  I thought the startup draw was around 2500 watts usually.  Shrug.  I'll be doing this soon, but im bringing in a proffesional friend of mine to do an energy audit first and inspect my bank to be sure. 

Offline bcksknr

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Child of the Cold War
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2013, 09:17:59 PM »
The problem with a well pump motor, as I understand it is that the momentary current surge to spin it up is much more than the running wattage once it gets going. I've read it can be as much as eight times the operating wattage. You need a generator that can handle that amount of momentary surge; could be 7000 to 8000 watts (but just momentarily). My 5500watt genny has a 7000watt surge capacity. That will start my 3/4 horsepower wellpump and then happily run it at it's reduced current draw. Motors take the most current to start. My system is zoned through a separate breaker box. I can't run everything at once (that would take a BIG genny), but I can divert power to what I need to run at the moment. Needless to say, I have an isolation breaker that makes it impossible to be connected to both the genny and the utility lines at the same time. If the power were to come back on, this keeps my system from burning up. Also prevents back feeding electricity through the transformers and into the utility lines, that could electocute a lineman working downstream. Unless you know what your doing (and I don't claim to) it's best to have a professional install a permanent generator system.