Author Topic: Newbie archery question - how to stop losing arrows in the snow  (Read 2216 times)

Offline cep89

• Survivor
Newbie archery question - how to stop losing arrows in the snow
« on: January 26, 2013, 07:39:46 PM »
This may be a stupid questions, but I can't practice or hunt without losing arrows into the snow.  Anyone have a way to keep from losing arrows.

Offline archer

• every day is sosdd..
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
Re: Newbie archery question - how to stop losing arrows in the snow
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2013, 07:42:40 PM »
spray paint them some bright, fluorescent color? my son suggests typing a piece of plastic to it like a tail

From a friend: Benjamin Franklin once said that beer is proof that God loves us.
I'm of the opinion that Redheads are proof that, contrary to popular belief, Satan also loves us.
My small blog: http://journeytogreenerpastures.blogspot.com/

Offline Cedar

• Autarkist Queen
  • TSP Ultimate Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2013, 08:29:54 PM »
They used to golf up where I was at in Canada.. and they used neon orange balls. Bright arrows shafts might help. Really obnoxious fletching?

Canada
"Do not breathe simply to exist."

Offline Bolomark

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2013, 09:19:59 PM »
you can use flu flu arrows which are used for bird hunting(they don't travel as far),you can get florescent knocks
behind your target hang an old carpet, the arrow hits it. gets stuck or falls to the ground.
“There is no such thing as pure good or pure evil, least of all in people. In the best of us there are thoughts or deeds that are wicked, and in the worst of us, at least some virtue. An adversary is not one who does loathsome acts for their own sake. He always has a reason that to him is justification. My cat eats mice. Does that make him bad? I don't think so, and the cat doesn't think so, but I would bet the mice have a different opinion.”
? Terry Goodkind, Wizard's First Rule

Offline cep89

• Survivor
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2013, 08:43:58 AM »
Thanks for the replies, I will try the tail idea when we get some more snow.

Offline Mountain State Prepper

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Proudly owned by a yellow lab!
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2013, 09:53:36 AM »
Indoor ranges around here seem pretty reasonable to rent.   $5/hr or so.   Something we've been looking to do here and it is one of my 13skills.com goals.
--Montani Semper Liberi

Offline liftsboxes

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Quit Whining
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2013, 12:50:03 PM »
Attach smoke bombs to the arrows?

(not really, but it sounds like fun)

Offline DrJohn

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2013, 12:55:19 PM »
They make arrows with lighted nocks.
"In the end, more than freedom, they wanted security.
They wanted a comfortable life, and they lost it all - security,
comfort, and freedom. When the Athenians finally wanted not to give to society but for society to give to them, when the freedom they wished for most was freedom from responsibility, then Athens ceased to be free and was never free again."
- Edward Gibbon

Offline rustyknife

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2013, 07:38:38 PM »
Many years ago I read an article about a guy who somehow tied a fishing reel to his bow then tied the line to the arrow. I remember he said that if the animal ran off he could follow the line. Might work for practice also. Seems to me that a reel would have to have quite a bit of line to be useful.

Flu-Flu arrows work pretty well for limiting distance traveled and a type of hunting point made for small game with 4 wires spring loaded might work as I believe the wires would "trip" the arrow before it could disappear in the snow or ground cover.

Nothing more encouraging to practice more often than to loose arrows. I quit counting lost arrows as it was depressing. :-\
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it." Thomas Paine

"Survival is a form of rebellion, living is the punishment" Mr. Smith from the movie "The Way Back"

"Those who would give up freedom for a little security deserve neither" Ben Franklin

Ride hard as you can, rest when you die
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thouroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "man what a ride!" Author unknown

Offline flippydidit

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Keep 'em shooting!
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2013, 01:32:23 AM »
We used to buy what I call "cheaters".  I looked all over and can't find them, so I'm probably using the wrong term.  It's essentially a really sticky tape on one side and fuzzy neon hair on the non-sticky side (think Troll doll hair).  It's only about 1/4-1/2" wide.  You wrap the tape around the shaft of the arrow directly behind the fletching, and in front of the nock.  The tape sticks very well, and you only need about 1/2" in length of the tape to go all the way around the shaft.

Once you've applied the "cheater", if you look at the arrow from the rear aspect you will see a 1-2" wide fuzzy neon circle.  They were invaluable for both practice and hunting.  An arrow that you would normally kiss goodbye at 40+ yards could be seen the entire flight, and you could usually see from where you shot from, where it ended up.  If not, you would almost always find it when you got within 30 feet of where it stopped.

When hunting, I found that while the arrow might be bent and unusable after bouncing off a couple trees/rocks/roots, that the broadhead was in fine shape (maybe needed a new blade or two).  And with the cost of broadheads, the couple bucks it took to out fit my arrows with "cheaters" made all the difference.

Also, the cheaters were really good at confirming where on the animal you hit (from a distance).  It made for a great reinforcement tool with your ACTUAL adrenaline pumped technique.  What you do in front of a target will be a little different than when you're shooting at an Eastern Oregon mule deer.  Not to mention if you've had a couple pots of coffee that morning.

EDIT - I really wanted to know what they were called, and if they are even still used.  Turns out they are.  The industry calls them "Arrow Tracers".  Suppose I should have thought of that.  Here's what they typically look like.

http://www.lancasterarchery.com/gateway-arrow-tracers.html

What it looks like from the back of your arrow:
http://www.fsdiscountarchery.com/ProductImages/feathers_vanes/arrow_tracers.jpg

The orange and yellow really show up well in any environment or lighting condition.  The other ones have their pros and cons (white in the snow).  Hope this helps!
Nate
Military/civilian gunsmith/machinist
PermEscapes
PermEscapes on Facebook
Frontier Tactical
Frontier Tactical on Facebook

"One of these centuries, the brutes, private or public, who believe that they can rule their betters by force, will learn the lesson of what happens when brute force encounters mind and force."
— Ragnar Danneskjöld, from Atlas Shrugged (Ayn Rand)

Offline arrowbreaker

• Survivor
  • MSB & TSP Forum member
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2013, 02:19:06 AM »
Move to Australia :D

Offline cep89

• Survivor
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2013, 01:13:04 PM »
We used to buy what I call "cheaters".  I looked all over and can't find them, so I'm probably using the wrong term.  It's essentially a really sticky tape on one side and fuzzy neon hair on the non-sticky side (think Troll doll hair).  It's only about 1/4-1/2" wide.  You wrap the tape around the shaft of the arrow directly behind the fletching, and in front of the nock.  The tape sticks very well, and you only need about 1/2" in length of the tape to go all the way around the shaft.

Once you've applied the "cheater", if you look at the arrow from the rear aspect you will see a 1-2" wide fuzzy neon circle.  They were invaluable for both practice and hunting.  An arrow that you would normally kiss goodbye at 40+ yards could be seen the entire flight, and you could usually see from where you shot from, where it ended up.  If not, you would almost always find it when you got within 30 feet of where it stopped.

When hunting, I found that while the arrow might be bent and unusable after bouncing off a couple trees/rocks/roots, that the broadhead was in fine shape (maybe needed a new blade or two).  And with the cost of broadheads, the couple bucks it took to out fit my arrows with "cheaters" made all the difference.

Also, the cheaters were really good at confirming where on the animal you hit (from a distance).  It made for a great reinforcement tool with your ACTUAL adrenaline pumped technique.  What you do in front of a target will be a little different than when you're shooting at an Eastern Oregon mule deer.  Not to mention if you've had a couple pots of coffee that morning.

EDIT - I really wanted to know what they were called, and if they are even still used.  Turns out they are.  The industry calls them "Arrow Tracers".  Suppose I should have thought of that.  Here's what they typically look like.

http://www.lancasterarchery.com/gateway-arrow-tracers.html

What it looks like from the back of your arrow:
http://www.fsdiscountarchery.com/ProductImages/feathers_vanes/arrow_tracers.jpg

The orange and yellow really show up well in any environment or lighting condition.  The other ones have their pros and cons (white in the snow).  Hope this helps!
I got some orange arrow tracers and they work great.  We only have 2 inches of snow now, but we are supposed to get another 8 tonight.  Somehow they land in the snow with the orange fluff up making them easy to find.

Also the website has some great deals.  I got a LH PSE compound bow for my son for 129.00.

Offline flippydidit

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Keep 'em shooting!
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2013, 01:44:02 PM »
I got some orange arrow tracers and they work great.  We only have 2 inches of snow now, but we are supposed to get another 8 tonight.  Somehow they land in the snow with the orange fluff up making them easy to find.

Also the website has some great deals.  I got a LH PSE compound bow for my son for 129.00.

Glad to be of service sir.  I've never purchased from that website, so I'm glad they treated you right.  I probably should have prefaced my post that I was using it as a reference for the product I was talking about.  We always bought ours at the local archery store.  Glad you didn't have any problems though!
Nate
Military/civilian gunsmith/machinist
PermEscapes
PermEscapes on Facebook
Frontier Tactical
Frontier Tactical on Facebook

"One of these centuries, the brutes, private or public, who believe that they can rule their betters by force, will learn the lesson of what happens when brute force encounters mind and force."
— Ragnar Danneskjöld, from Atlas Shrugged (Ayn Rand)

Offline aman

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2013, 03:53:13 AM »
We use a cheap metal detector to find lost arrows in the grass. Maybe that is a solution
Hey farmer, farmer, put away your DDT
I don't care about spots on my apples,
Leave me the birds and the bees - please

Offline flyfisher66048

• Survivor
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2013, 04:05:41 PM »
Practice shooting from a tree stand ;)   Should not be any problems finding the arrows unless the snow is really deep