Author Topic: bread maker suggestions?  (Read 1563 times)

Offline Tyronedeblanco

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
bread maker suggestions?
« on: January 27, 2013, 03:17:28 PM »
http://www.amazon.com/Oster-5838-ExpressBake-Breadmaker-White/dp/B00005OTXK/ref=cm_cr_pr_pb_t

Steve harris recommends this one, it had more good than bad reviews, but the bad reviews seemed consistent.  Im a bit hesitant to get this one...

has anyone used this for awhile and had good / bad results?  Do you have a better or recomended bread maker? 

Im gonna buy one soon and start making my own bread often, i need the right tool, thanks!!

Offline Cedar

• Autarkist Queen
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
Re: bread maker suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2013, 03:22:10 PM »
Mine is an Oster, but different than this one. Been using it since 1996 and I just use it to save my wrists from kneading most of the time. I love mine.

Cedar
"Do not breathe simply to exist."

Offline Tyronedeblanco

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2013, 04:05:20 PM »
Mine is an Oster, but different than this one. Been using it since 1996 and I just use it to save my wrists from kneading most of the time. I love mine.

Cedar

Model?

Offline Cedar

• Autarkist Queen
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2013, 04:08:50 PM »

Offline Nate

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Expanding my skill set: studying to be a nurse
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2013, 04:23:25 PM »
My wife and I have found that breadmakers are pretty much all the same.  Each one has its own unique feature but they all bake bread.  We are on our third machine and third brand in the last year and a half.  WHY do you ask?  We buy breadmakers at goodwill and use them till they die.  We have not paid more than $5 for each machine.  I have a spare in the closet because last month my machine died on me in the middle of the bake cycle.  Not cool!  We give them a good cleaning and put them to work.

Maybe you could find one at your local thrift shop to get started?  Once you are sure you will stick with making your own bread then you can splurge for a new one.  Or, you could be like us and keep buying the used ones!   :D
NATE

"This is the Law of the Yukon, that only the Strong shall thrive;
That surely the Weak shall perish, and only the Fit survive."  Robert Service

Offline Tyronedeblanco

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2013, 05:20:35 PM »
My wife and I have found that breadmakers are pretty much all the same.  Each one has its own unique feature but they all bake bread.  We are on our third machine and third brand in the last year and a half.  WHY do you ask?  We buy breadmakers at goodwill and use them till they die.  We have not paid more than $5 for each machine.  I have a spare in the closet because last month my machine died on me in the middle of the bake cycle.  Not cool!  We give them a good cleaning and put them to work.

Maybe you could find one at your local thrift shop to get started?  Once you are sure you will stick with making your own bread then you can splurge for a new one.  Or, you could be like us and keep buying the used ones!   :D

awesome suggestion.  I wouldnt mind having a few honestly...... Im on a mission to make as much of my own stuff as possible.  Starting off with bread, perhaps beer, and possibly almond milk.

Offline Nate

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2013, 06:37:53 PM »
Make sure you use bread flour in your bread machine.  All purpose will work, but results will not be as good.  We learned this through experience.  Once you have your own basic bread recipe you will find it adaptable to other bread products.  For example, we make our own tortillas and pizza dough.  The only change is to all purpose flour when making pizza or tortillas.  Here is our basic bread recipe:

Everything is leveled

3 cups bread flour
2 TBS each of sugar, flax seed, whole wheat flour, wheat germ, extra virgin olive oil, and black sesame seeds
1 tsp sea salt
1 tsp  red star quick rise yeast  (jar calls for 1.5 tsp yeast.  We backed this down to conserve yeast and have noticed no difference in the finished product)

What is that smell??  Oh yeah.....I am making a loaf right now!  It is baking!!!  YUM!

There is nothing better for breakfast than toast made from bread you made yourself and 2 eggs sunny side up from your own chickens!  That is what I have every morning along with homemade yogurt.  Is it breakfast time yet?
NATE

Offline Tyronedeblanco

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2013, 06:42:29 PM »
sounds great!!  I got my wife slowly coming around to prepping....i mean reeeeaalllll slow.  I feel like Trinity trying to wake up Neo out of the matrix.....anyway, my wife and I are getting chickens this spring hopefully.  Just waiting to hear from the village about ordiances.

Offline Nate

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2013, 07:09:43 PM »
Great Matrix reference.  Has she taken the blue pill or the red one?  When word got around our neighborhood that I had chickens the reaction was disbelief.  You have chickens back there?  They are so quiet and don't smell!  You can have chickens in town?  I gave a few of my neighbors a half dozen eggs and they were very happy to get some!

I checked the ordinances on my city's webpage and we were cool.  I live in a small rural community.  My town is technically a city by population.  Didn't Jack say in a recent podcast that we need to get more used to asking forgiveness rather than permission?  That old saying is true, "its easier to ask for forgiveness than permission"
NATE

Offline Tyronedeblanco

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2013, 08:04:01 PM »
Great Matrix reference.  Has she taken the blue pill or the red one?  When word got around our neighborhood that I had chickens the reaction was disbelief.  You have chickens back there?  They are so quiet and don't smell!  You can have chickens in town?  I gave a few of my neighbors a half dozen eggs and they were very happy to get some!

I checked the ordinances on my city's webpage and we were cool.  I live in a small rural community.  My town is technically a city by population.  Didn't Jack say in a recent podcast that we need to get more used to asking forgiveness rather than permission?  That old saying is true, "its easier to ask for forgiveness than permission"

Haha.  Im not sure what pill she has taken.  I push the envelope cautiously with my preps / survival lifestyle.  I think she tolerates it 90% and maybee 10% agrees with it.  Some of the stuff she likes, she is very martha stewert like.  So I try to tie what i do into something she likes.   (the battery bank stuff was a tough sell, but she is allowing it) :  )

She is on board with the chickens which is great!!!  My neighbors 3 houses down got a coop / chickens last summer.  As far as I know, no one has had a problem with it.  Im gonna go talk to them in a few days and ask what's the 411.  Ive already planned on sharing some eggs with next door neighbors as lubrication for any friction.  i just wanna see all the rules before i get involved to be on the safe side.

Im not sure who said it (maybe you)....i was lmao at someone on these boards posting something like "some people found out i had chickens, and they looked at me like i had aliens in my back yard".  Roflmao....i was in tears reading that.  I can just imagine their looks.  I guess im a dick, but i love getting that reaction out of people.  A co-worker looked at me like i was a terroist becuse i was building a battery bank.  He said "im gonna see you on the news someday arnt i?"  I just laughted at him.  Shrug.

Offline ncjeeper

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Oooops!
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2013, 08:08:11 PM »
We use a Toastmaster breadbox bread maker model # 1198.
The early bird gets the worm.....But the second mouse gets the cheese.

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2013, 09:43:52 PM »
I have a Sunbeam pretty much like this one that is still going strong after about 7 yrs:

http://www.amazon.com/Sunbeam-5891-2-Pound-Programmable-Breadmaker/dp/B00067REBU/ref=sr_1_4?s=appliances&ie=UTF8&qid=1359344369&sr=1-4&keywords=bread+machine

I have had very good results with it, but I always have to give a disclaimer... I make a lot of bread using a machine (as Cedar says, to save my hands from the kneading), but I never cook bread in the machines... just don't like the result much. I tend to just let the machine do all the mixing and kneading and then put the dough into my bread pans to finish up the last rising and then baking.

My Sunbeam was purchased based on what was on sale when my old one broke. The only problem I've had is that the gasket underneath the baking pan basically disintegrated, so my machine is effectively operating without one now. No big problem, just something I've experienced.

Offline NWPilgrim

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2013, 04:40:47 AM »
We use a Westbend 41300.  It has two paddles for more thorough mixing.  It makes large horizontal loaves.

I researched bread machines quite a bit a few years ago when we got into making bread a couple of times per week. The Westbend seemed to have the most consistently favorable reviews and fewest complaints.  Ours has held up really well and just cranks out great bread. Has many programming options for just kneading, baking various types of bread and various darkness, etc. Highly recommend it.
There have always been times like this, and there will be again. Will we rise to the challenges or get run over?

zanedclark@att.net

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2013, 09:34:53 AM »
I have had several and finally sprung for a Zojirushi.  http://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop/items/zojirushi-cec-20-home-bakery-supreme-bread-machine-white

Which ever you get I have found that I get better results if I let the bread maker kneed the dough and do the first rise, then oil my hands and a seperate bread pan and shape the loaf with my hands and place into the pan for the second rise and bake in the oven.  Far superior results.

I do not bake my bread in the bread machine anymore.
z

Offline Cedar

• Autarkist Queen
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2013, 09:56:32 AM »
I make a lot of bread using a machine (as Cedar says, to save my hands from the kneading), but I never cook bread in the machines... just don't like the result much. I tend to just let the machine do all the mixing and kneading and then put the dough into my bread pans to finish up the last rising and then baking.

Yeah, I don't often let it bake in the pan unless I forget I had bread on the go. I made bread almost daily for 6 years.

Cedar

Offline bob3

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2013, 11:58:06 AM »

z

My wife got a KitchenAid mixer for Christmas, and it seems perfect for mixing/kneading, then oven-baking bread.  Can anyone give me a tip on this?  I want to master two recipes/procedures, one great tasting recipe, one relatively fast.

Offline LeavingDetroit

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2013, 01:38:50 AM »
I always use my Kitchen Aid Mixer with the dough hook attachment to make bread dough, pizza dough, and cinnamon roll dough.  The only suggestion I would make is that if your mixer is set up in a cool location, definitely move your dough to a warm location to rise--that stainless steel bowl will transfer the chilliness and the yeast will not do its job.

Offline bob3

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2013, 05:28:40 PM »
move your dough to a warm location to rise
Thanks.  Makes sense.

Offline TwoBluesMama

• More Evil Than You Know
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • We're still waiting but we're READY!
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2013, 07:15:05 PM »

z

My wife got a KitchenAid mixer for Christmas, and it seems perfect for mixing/kneading, then oven-baking bread.  Can anyone give me a tip on this?  I want to master two recipes/procedures, one great tasting recipe, one relatively fast.

I too haven't used my bread machine in a long time. It's been moved to the basement.  After I got my Kitchen Aid Mixer it took over kneading for me.  I just get everything all mixed up and transfer the dough to a large greased bowl. Since I have a stainless steel bowl I don't leave it in it to rise.

Warm placed needed  (especially in my old house)so I turn my oven on to 400 degrees for about 3 minutes and then shut it off.  It's now cozy but not too warm for my bread to sit in there and raise for an hour. After that I punch it down once and then put it into cast iron bread pans and let rise another 30 minutes or so.  Remove from the oven and preheat to 400 and bake 30 minutes or so depending on the loaf. 

And bob3 I'll try to post some of recipes tomorrow for you.  Blessings, TBM
My goal in life is to be as good of a person my GOAT already thinks I am.  ~Author Unknown

America will never be destroyed from outside.
If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed GOATS." Abraham  Lincoln

DEV being nice... sorta goes along with GOATS howling, babies bursting into tears, birds suddenly becoming silent, and an ominous greenish lighting spreading across the landscape...

Offline LeavingDetroit

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2013, 11:27:00 PM »
Ohhh!!! TwoBluesMama, a cast iron bread pan??? I have been using stone, either in a loaf pan or free form unless I make French bread. For baguettes I have a perforated metal pan that holds two loaves. What are the advantages to using cast iron in a conventional oven?  :)

Offline TwoBluesMama

• More Evil Than You Know
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • We're still waiting but we're READY!
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2013, 09:58:12 AM »
I don't know if there are any major advantages except I like the way the crust turns out and the inside is the perfect soft.  My DH bought me cast iron bread pans a number of years ago for a gift (he also buys me rubies  ;) but he knows as a prepper woman I like practical too).  Most everything I cook in/with is cast iron and luckily have amassed a nice variety over the years - some inherited from his Grams. When I do a free form type bread I use my cast iron pizza pan.  I would think that the stone pans work just as well - I just don't happen to own any.  I think either are a better choice over metal pans but then isn't homemade bread awesome however it's made?

I am working on a post with pics of bread mixes made up in quart jars or mylar bags.  I just need to get it all together and will post in the recipe board and link it here too.  The reason I am making up the mixes is basically some days I'm lazy I guess or just too pressed for time.  I just don't feel like dragging out my bucket of flour or grinding wheat or whatever.  So I am spending one afternoon every now and then and making up my bread mixes and putting them in jars then all I have to do is pour out a jar add water and yeast and go from there.  The one advantage is these mixes are shelf stable for about 5 years and I can leave some at our BOL and make up bread whenever I feel like it (although I confess haven't tried any of these up there yet - just under 10,000 ft. in elevation - so I could end up with door stops or bear food!LOL!)
My goal in life is to be as good of a person my GOAT already thinks I am.  ~Author Unknown

America will never be destroyed from outside.
If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed GOATS." Abraham  Lincoln

DEV being nice... sorta goes along with GOATS howling, babies bursting into tears, birds suddenly becoming silent, and an ominous greenish lighting spreading across the landscape...

Offline LeavingDetroit

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2013, 04:07:20 PM »
Gotta love a man that knows what you want, and since we are affiliated with the iron foundry industry, I say everyone should buy as much cast iron cookware as they can afford! I, however, will start stalking 2nd hand stores for some loaf pans to try.

I like the idea of making some mixes up ahead of time. My problem is I am currently rehabbing from extensive foot surgeries and have fallen into a rut of making the same dough--and I have long since stopped measuring.  Might be a good way to try something new again.

Good luck with the high elevation baking.  If it turned out hard, maybe you can slice it with a chain saw, layer it in a pan with French toast batter, let it soak overnight and bake it in the morning. Yummy with butter and maple syrup ;)

zanedclark@att.net

« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2013, 11:46:07 AM »
Recipe from Beard on Bread

buttermilk White Bread

2 packages active dry yeast
1 tbl sugar
1/2 cup warm water
4 cups unbleached flour
1 tbl salt  - I leave this out
3 tbl melted butter - I don't use this either
1 to 1 1/2 cups buttermilk.

this makes a wonderful white bread with a very high oven spring.
z

Offline Jack Crabb

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2013, 04:23:37 PM »
As others have mentioned, I go with a Kitchaid mixer and dough hook.

I have recently started baking bread in an enameled cast iron dutch oven, La Creuset. Shape the loaf, place in the dutch over to rise.

Place the covered dutch oven in a cold oven at 450 degrees for 35 minutes. Remove the lid and bake 10 minutes more to brown the crust.
Above all, we must realize that no arsenal, or no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women. It is a weapon our adversaries in today's world do not have.
 - Ronald Reagan

Offline chezrad

• Survivor
    • Brush n Soap n Blade
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2013, 06:27:06 AM »
We got the one that Steve Harris has on his site this Christmas. Haven't had any issues. I make fresh ground whole wheat in it once a week. So far so good. Actually had to cut back I the yeast I'm using as I get to much rise. Still learning.