Author Topic: "Why new laws could miss America's bigger gun problem"  (Read 1850 times)

Offline Cedar

• Autarkist Queen
  • TSP Ultimate Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
"Do not breathe simply to exist."

Offline Mr. Bill

• Like a hot cocoa mojito
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • Trained Attack Sheepdog/Troll hunter
    • Website maintenance services by Mr. Bill
Re: "Why new laws could miss America's bigger gun problem"
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2013, 11:46:00 AM »
The article is extremely one-sided but does at least point out the silliness of an assault weapons ban.

I do like a few of the comments, though.

We're not trying to take away anyone's right to bear arms, we're only trying to take away certain types of arms that no one has any business with anyway.

We're not trying to take away anyone's right to free speech, we're only trying to take away certain types of speech that no has any business with anyway.

We're not trying to take away anyone's right to religion, we're only trying to take away certain types of religion that no has any business with anyway.

We're not trying to take away anyone's right to a free press, we're only trying to take away certain types of free press that no has any business with anyway.

You know? It sounds really damn weird when you try to make these anti-second amendment arguments apply to the first.

How about libel insurance for your free speech? Gags to be worn at all times in theaters to prevent the shouting of "fire" and demonstration of a college diploma before being allowed to post online.

These are acceptalbe infringments on your right to free speech no? O wait... "shall not be infringed" means not be infringed huh.

Offline Oil Lady

• Lady oil lady oil la-dy hoo
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • My book needs more humor. My pen needs more salt.
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2013, 12:38:32 PM »
Why new laws could do what to Miss America's bigger gun problem??

(And I never even knew Miss America had a gun problem in the first place.)

(Yes, I'm joking.)  

"This is the first scenario I've seen where I question the survivability of mankind." -- self-made billionaire Richard Rainwater in his business analysis of Peak Oil, "The Rainwater Prophecy," Fortune magazine, Dec 26, 2005

"This is an emergency far worse than World War I and World War II put together." -- CEO of Virgin Airlines, Sir Richard Branson on Peak Oil in CNN's investigative report "We Were Warned: Out of Gas" June 2007/May 2008 03:05

"We've got provisions and lots of beer. The key word is survival on the new frontier." --Steely Dan 1983

"... it doesn’t really matter who is removing your civil liberties, whether it is being done by a democratic government, a kleptocracy, a dictatorship or even the green police. When your civil rights are gone, they’re gone, and you really are in trouble, no matter how good the cause." --UK journalist Anthony Harrington, "Peak Oil and Collapse Scenarios," QFinance, September, 2011

Our parents used to say, "Don't worry, the government will take care of it."
And now our kids say, "Don't worry, the government will take care of us."

No food shall be grown that Monsanto does not own. (It all started with the disastrous 1980 SCOTUS ruling on Diamond v Chakrabarty. Petition your Congressman to revoke all patents on living things.)

"The nation that destroys its soil destroys itself." FDR 1937

The Tin Foil Hat Song by the League of Lady Conspiracists

Offline LICountryBoy

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2013, 03:38:39 PM »
Everybody Run, the Homecoming Queen has a gun.

If you think they are not trying to ban all guns, just remember what Feinstein said after the last AWB on 60 Minutes
"If I could have gotten 51 votes in the Senate of the United States for an outright ban, picking up every one of them -- Mr. and Mrs. America, turn them all in -- I would have done it."

She wants them all. All meaning from law abiding citizens. And they always follow with
"This is a good FIRST step."

Marinade, helping you enjoy your steak, if the steak gets tough or even If it don't. :)

"Go forth and be manly!" - T.Ghee

So I have power and underwear.

Offline Mr. Bill

• Like a hot cocoa mojito
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • Trained Attack Sheepdog/Troll hunter
    • Website maintenance services by Mr. Bill
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2013, 03:46:30 PM »
Everybody Run, the Homecoming Queen has a gun.

I thought I was the only one who remembered that! ;D

Offline PrepperJim

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Prepping Means Resiliency and Redundancy
    • Winter Ant
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2013, 04:59:11 PM »

She wants them all. All meaning from law abiding citizens. And they always follow with
"This is a good FIRST step."

I read the same article posted here and I had exactly the same thought. Let's start with the scary guns and then build the case for handguns.

"You don't really need one of those. What could you use that for?" - that was a comment I received for my Cold Steel knife at lunch the other day when I pulled it out and did not even deploy the blade. Next thing I know, I will be limited to a 1" pocket knife. Sheesh.

The next person that makes that comment to me
Member Support Brigade since 3/19/2011
Blog: http://www.winterant.com

“Life, although it may only be an accumulation of anguish, is dear to me, and I will defend it.”

? Mary Shelley, Frankenstein

Offline TexasGirl

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Simple country farm girl. Prepper? What's that?
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2013, 09:07:05 PM »

"You don't really need one of those. What could you use that for?" - that was a comment I received for my Cold Steel knife at lunch the other day when I pulled it out and did not even deploy the blade. Next thing I know, I will be limited to a 1" pocket knife. Sheesh.

LOL

I carry a "Zero Tolerance" folder knife in my purse.  It's big, black, has a coated razor-sharp chisel point blade, and the ability to be fully extended just inches above my purse on the way out.  No, it's not assisted, but has a thumb catch on the blade.  I like the positive loud "click" it makes.  Just like racking an 870, people step back when they hear it.

Yeah Jim, I get the "why" comment there too!

...."just in case!"

~TG

Oh, sorry...  To be on topic, I personally believe firearms are a States Rights issue, not to even be addressed by the fed'ral guvmint.

Offline Mexican_Hippie

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2013, 10:20:56 PM »
America doesn't have a gun problem, we have a scumbag problem.

Offline TexasGirl

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2013, 10:27:58 PM »

+1

Offline bcksknr

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Child of the Cold War
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2013, 10:30:12 PM »
Does anyone with a functioning brain actually believe that the 2nd Amendment is about the right to hunt sqirrels and rabbits? The Founding Fathers wrote it so that the citizenry had a way to rid themselves of a monarchial or dictatorial takeover of the government. They knew what it meant to be powerless under a King, without basic freedoms. They never wanted Americans to have to bow down to a Monarchy. The 2nd amendment is about having the weapons necessary to assault and overthrow a government that is attempting to strip the rights and freedoms of it's citizens to the point where the bootheels on the necks of the oppressed can no longer be tolerated. Our government isn't concerned that we will use these weapons on each other, they are scared shi-less that we will us them on the Corporatocracy that owns the meat puppets some call politicians. 

Offline Tyronedeblanco

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2013, 11:00:03 PM »
Imo.  It's about the coming social unrest when the benefits, pensions, and freebies stop flowing.  Just take a 10 min look at greece and it's riots.  They are under major austerity for living under corpupt politicians and a above means lifestyle.  "Speed of the leader determines the rate of the pack". 

now....just imagine if 1/3rd - 1/2 of those civilians / rioters had fire arms..........

Our charade has a due date.  When, I have no idea.  I thought this sham would have been up by now.  When it finnaly pops, and us savers, the pensions, retirements, benefits, social security, medicare, medicade, etc, etc, etc are slaughtered via currency devaluation / default......don't you think some civilians that have arms might be a bit ticked??  This is what they are trying to disarm us for IMO. 

Offline soccer grannie

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2013, 11:05:16 PM »
Handy little item for purse or pocket. Razor sharp. Blade opens with one push of a button. These can be found at Walmart in the fabric dept. or at any fabric store for around $10 - $12.
http://www.amazon.com/Fiskars-9521-Contour-Rotary-Cutter/dp/B000B7M8WU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1359521732&sr=8-1&keywords=fiskar+rotary+cutter

Offline TexasGirl

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2013, 11:11:50 PM »
Imo.  It's about the coming social unrest when the benefits, pensions, and freebies stop flowing. 

Or, social unrest when the citizenry finds out the government has illegally traded federal land, assets, national parks, etc. to China as they attempt to turn held debt into equity.  I'm told that the administration has been in (not so) secret negotiations already. 

Ever wonder why China has suddenly become so outspoken on squelching our 2A rights?

I better shut up and go back to my corner before getting in trouble...

~TG

Offline Tyronedeblanco

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2013, 01:06:18 AM »
Or, social unrest when the citizenry finds out the government has illegally traded federal land, assets, national parks, etc. to China as they attempt to turn held debt into equity.  I'm told that the administration has been in (not so) secret negotiations already. 

Ever wonder why China has suddenly become so outspoken on squelching our 2A rights?

I better shut up and go back to my corner before getting in trouble...

~TG

Im hoping that is all tin foil conspiracy.  Ive heard about it, im just praying it's not real.  Our leaders for decades have been selling out the country,...that would be the final nail in the coffin if they do that.  If they pimp out our resources for their bad decisions.....i can only imagine the chineese bringing their own army to protect their new assests.  God??  We could really use you right  now!!!!  I hope you see this!!!  Your meak servants need some help!!

Offline Bob Spelled Backwards

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2013, 11:23:31 AM »
I like this legal immigrant's ( he is sure  to point it out, haha ) argument that it is the decay of society, not the guns that are the problem.

<iframe src="http://www.ebaumsworld.com/media/embed/83082815" width="567" height="345" frameborder="0"></iframe>

Offline bcksknr

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Child of the Cold War
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2013, 02:51:46 PM »
Miss America has a big gun problem? If she wants a bigger gun I say go for it!

Offline meapplejak

• Prepper
  • Newish TSP Forum member
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2013, 04:15:50 PM »
I like this legal immigrant's ( he is sure  to point it out, haha ) argument that it is the decay of society, not the guns that are the problem.

<iframe src="http://www.ebaumsworld.com/media/embed/83082815" width="567" height="345" frameborder="0"></iframe>

Good video thanks for posting
applejak

Offline JerseyVince

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2013, 04:26:41 PM »
Tom Selleck made this same arguement to loud mouth O'donnel when she attacked/threw herself under the bus before he walked off the set on her. Television history.

He remarked there was a change in the morals/upbringing of the population and that weapons were much easier to obtain before the 68' GCA. IMO one of the major problems is the lack and almost denial of personal responsibility that is taught & encouraged by the schools/govt/high profile personalities and we are seeing the fruits of that program grow by the day as our country slides down the hill of ruin

Offline Chemsoldier

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2013, 07:37:29 PM »
Amen

"George Patton told his officers, 'Don't worry about your flanks. Let the enemy worry about his flanks.'  It is high time for society to stop worrying about the criminal, and to let the criminal start worrying about society.  And by society I mean you.

-Jeff Cooper from Principals of Personal Defense p. 78
"You can always count on Americans to do the right thing, after they've tried everything else"
-Winston Churchill

"You think health care is expensive now? Wait until its free!"
-P.J. O'Rourke

Offline Tyronedeblanco

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2013, 04:00:05 PM »
Tom Selleck made this same arguement to loud mouth O'donnel when she attacked/threw herself under the bus before he walked off the set on her. Television history.

He remarked there was a change in the morals/upbringing of the population and that weapons were much easier to obtain before the 68' GCA. IMO one of the major problems is the lack and almost denial of personal responsibility that is taught & encouraged by the schools/govt/high profile personalities and we are seeing the fruits of that program grow by the day as our country slides down the hill of ruin

I couldnt agree more.  My liberal friends wont listen to me when i explain to them that movies, games, and guns are nothing more than aids to the crime.  The real problem for me is society decay, lack of value on human life, and psycho trophic over drugging.