Author Topic: where to buy a mosin nagant?  (Read 1225 times)

Offline thewarriorhunter

• Admin Bait!
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • A fledgling ant watching out for antlions
    • Mai Thai Coffee
where to buy a mosin nagant?
« on: January 29, 2013, 01:43:31 PM »
so i really really really want a nagant. i've noticed the prices seem to be climbing and i want to pick up one or two or three before they stay high like SKSs and so on.

my question is where to buy? i have looked at gunbroker and they don't seem to be going for less than $200, which is no problem but i can't inspect it beforehand which makes me leary.

a couple big 5's around me have them in stock and it would be about the same price after tax, plus i get to look at it and get sticky with cosmolene!

are there any other good places to look? most online places like AIM are out of stock, and like i said... i want one.

am i making too big a deal out of inspecting it so i don't get junk? i'm no expert but have read up no what to look for. i mostly want this for a cheap and fun way to practice my shooting fundamentals and to own a piece of history. i'm not planning on sporterizing this in way.

Mai Thai Coffee - Coffee With a Mission - MSB members get 10% off everything! www.maithaicoffee.com

Want to win free coffee? New contest in The Swap Meet board every month. Check out the current one here.

We work directly with the Thai farmers who grow our coffee. We have a great video that shows the process of getting our coffee From Seed to Cup

Offline bdhutier

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Defensor libertas
Re: where to buy a mosin nagant?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2013, 05:27:28 PM »
Wow, you're not kidding!!!  Here's all I could find:

Bent bolt, so a little more $: https://www.samcoglobal.com/rifles-nagant.html

Tolerance is the virtue of the man with no convictions.
-- G. K. Chesterton

So go do some PT, then by all means take some ninja classes.
-- Chemsoldier

Offline meapplejak

• Prepper
  • Newish TSP Forum member
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2013, 05:39:11 PM »
Interesting I am surprised that even mosins are going up.  I bought my mosin for about 100 bucks plus fees twas my first firearm.  I figured bolt actions wouldn't be as desirable from the semi auto craze standpoint.

Good luck.

Btw they are loud and smoky at least mine is.

And look out for the promag archangel with 10 round mag.  Bad ass
applejak

Offline thewarriorhunter

• Admin Bait!
  • Survival Demonstrator
    • Mai Thai Coffee
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2013, 08:05:40 PM »
i ended up finding a local shop that has them for $120. now i just need to find time to get down there and pick up one... or two. but if i get two i'll probably have to hide one from the wife for a while  ;D

Mai Thai Coffee - Coffee With a Mission - MSB members get 10% off everything! www.maithaicoffee.com

Want to win free coffee? New contest in The Swap Meet board every month. Check out the current one here.

We work directly with the Thai farmers who grow our coffee. We have a great video that shows the process of getting our coffee From Seed to Cup

Offline thewarriorhunter

• Admin Bait!
  • Survival Demonstrator
    • Mai Thai Coffee
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2013, 08:08:09 PM »
Wow, you're not kidding!!!  Here's all I could find:

Bent bolt, so a little more $: https://www.samcoglobal.com/rifles-nagant.html

those look like the m44, or carbine, model from what i've learned and those tend to run a bit more. the pricing actually seems pretty fair to me, although i don't want the bent bolt. i want one to keep stock and preserve the history. if i pick up two then i'll probably use the poorer of the two to practice my gunsmithing on and sportorize it.

Offline bdhutier

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Defensor libertas
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2013, 08:41:04 PM »
those look like the m44, or carbine, model from what i've learned and those tend to run a bit more. the pricing actually seems pretty fair to me, although i don't want the bent bolt. i want one to keep stock and preserve the history. if i pick up two then i'll probably use the poorer of the two to practice my gunsmithing on and sportorize it.
No.  They're the 91/30.  The M44 has the fold-out bayonet.  The bent bolt is more expensive because they were made with the bolt handle turned down to allow for mounting sniping optics.
-- G. K. Chesterton

-- Chemsoldier

Offline oley454

• Prepper
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2013, 08:41:31 PM »
Check armslist.com at least in my area they are averaging $100-$120.

Offline thewarriorhunter

• Admin Bait!
  • Survival Demonstrator
    • Mai Thai Coffee
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2013, 09:05:14 PM »
No.  They're the 91/30.  The M44 has the fold-out bayonet.  The bent bolt is more expensive because they were made with the bolt handle turned down to allow for mounting sniping optics.

you are right... i guess after looking at 1000s of mosins today online while researching they all started to meld together.

Offline bdhutier

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Defensor libertas
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2013, 09:08:49 PM »
you are right... i guess after looking at 1000s of mosins today online while researching they all started to meld together.

HA!!  ;D 

Mosin-meld!!
-- G. K. Chesterton

-- Chemsoldier

Offline Canadian Prepper

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2013, 10:07:41 PM »
The seemingly endless supplies of the M44s from overseas dried up about 2-3 years ago according to a Canadian importer from whom I picked one up for $139 plus tax and shipping (probably $170 to my door). Within several months of taking his advice I began to read comments on US websites about how they were selling for about $230 plus.

Unless we shop around a fair bit or find a sale (usually between $129-139), $200 all taxes and shipping in is about right for a Mosin up here. Our smaller market and import regulations usually raise our prices a bit higher than the US.

I'd say to get one or two while the opportunity exists. As more people find themselves unable to stock up on .223 or the guns that they fear will be banned, people will be looking to alternatives like the currently cheap Mosins to keep them happyl If the price is good and you have the money I'd say go for it. If the boxes are shaped right, your wife might not even realize that there's two of them!

Offline thewarriorhunter

• Admin Bait!
  • Survival Demonstrator
    • Mai Thai Coffee
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2013, 12:17:43 AM »
If the boxes are shaped right, your wife might not even realize that there's two of them!

i have a garage with a work bench... which means she never even looks over there. i have hidden gifts for her pretty poorly, but because they were there she never noticed... she also hardly ever goes into the safe, so i bet if two new rifles showed up in there she wouldn't even notice.