Author Topic: Finally reloaded my first rounds towards one of my 13 Skills  (Read 3961 times)

Offline robertov416

• Prepper
    • Progress on 13 in 13 skills
Finally reloaded my first rounds towards one of my 13 Skills
« on: January 17, 2013, 07:40:49 PM »
The past couple of weeks have been kinda crazy trying to locate the various pieces parts for the Hornady Progressive Reloading Press I bought at the end of December.  With all the panic buying that’s been going on as of late, it wasn’t the best time to start buying this stuff.  Many of the dies and shell plates have been difficult to locate.  It’s taken trips to about 10 different shops and scouring various websites to get some of the basics.  Noting the scarcity of equipment, I opted to start gathering equipment for calibers I hadn’t intended to reload at this point.  However, get it while the getting was good I guess.

So, I have all the supplies for for a couple of different calibers but was advised to begin with the handgun calibers while I was learning to use my press.  I decided to begin with the 9mm.  After a couple of days of using old brass from the range to setup my sizing and de-priming station, I then moved on to new brass to setup the priming, expander (flaring), powder measure, and seating stations.  Tonight I completed my first 50 rounds of the 9mm, being very careful to do sample weights of powder throughout the process and then “miking” the overall length of each round before recording the loading data.  Quite the enjoyable process, but certainly one that can not be rushed.  In fact, I like how I can complete just 1 or 2 of the steps at a time, document what I’ve done, and then come back and do more steps later, almost treating the progressive press as if it's a single stage press.

The steps that I did to complete my first 50 rounds were basically as follows: 1) applied wax to outside of new cases, 2) Sized and primed the new cases.  This is where I stopped last evening.  Then tonight I  3) setup the powder measure station, 4) setup the bullet seating and taper crimp station, 5) ran the 50 rounds through the powder and seating stations, 6) performed random QC weight checks during the process before seating the bullet for powder weights and then 100% QC check visually for "presence of powder" and then on OAL (overall length) of the round. 

The next thing I’ll need to do is test fire them.  For this go around, I chose a powder weight on the low end of the chart to keep the “feet per second” down below 1000 FPS to hopefully keep “leading” down in the Glock I will use to test fire them.

zanedclark@att.net

Re: Finally reloaded my first rounds towards one of my 13 Skills
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2013, 07:43:26 PM »
Congratulations!  You will find reloading a wonderful extension of your hobby and preps.
z

Offline cmxterra

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Bugging out in style.
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2013, 07:54:40 PM »
fun part is when you load it into your weapon.. it goes boom but your gun does not explode :)

Offline ag2

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Been fishin' lately?
    • My Startup Challenge
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2013, 08:14:19 PM »
If your resizing die is carbide, the lube is not necessary on a straight-walled pistol case.  You can save yourself the time of lubing and cleaning.    :D

However, it will not do any harm to use it (sparingly!)  Some folks will lube every 50 or 100th case, just to make it a tad lubricated for ease of use.

Congratulations!  Please be sure to wear eye protection, especially when testing your loads, but good to wear always when shooting.

Offline robertov416

• Prepper
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2013, 04:12:02 AM »
I looked all around for carbide dies to no avail.  All of my calibers had been picked clean.  Maybe in the future.

I'll do some test firing either this weekend.

Any techniques for spreading the lube onto the "lubing pad" or just rub it around as evenly as possible?

Offline robertov416

• Prepper
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2013, 11:16:39 AM »
I just test fired my first reloads for 9mm... they were 115 gn cast bullets. There is no specific data on this weight in either the 49th Lyman book or the Hodgen/IMR site, so using 231 powder, I was advised by an out-of-state friend that found data for this round in his 47th Lyman edition, to back down the powder load on the 120 gn cast bullet to keep the FPS low and keep "leading" down in a Glock 17. Unfortunately, my powder load was too low and I had to manually cycle to eject every round at the range. I was pleased with the grouping, but disappointed that my first loads in the semi-auto didn't work out so well. My next attempt will be to bump up to the published "low" starting powder weight for the 120 gn cast unless I can find actual data for the 115 gn cast in the meantime.

Lessons learned: Don't make a batch of 50 rounds on untested data.

I picked up the Lymans Cast book at a gun show today, so perhaps I can glean some more insight there as well.

Offline ag2

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Been fishin' lately?
    • My Startup Challenge
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2013, 11:02:16 PM »
Take a look at page 342 of your 49th Lyman book.  There's a recipe for 90gr #2 alloy and two recipes for 120gr #2 alloy.  You should be fine using a recipe for 120gr #2 alloy since 115gr is going to produce a slightly lower pressure than pushing 120gr.

Offline NWPilgrim

• Dedicated Contributor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2013, 12:22:18 AM »
Take a look at page 342 of your 49th Lyman book.  There's a recipe for 90gr #2 alloy and two recipes for 120gr #2 alloy.  You should be fine using a recipe for 120gr #2 alloy since 115gr is going to produce a slightly lower pressure than pushing 120gr.

Exactly.  Lighter bullets use more powder to achieve the same pressures.  So if you use a lighter bullet of the same construction than is listed for the powder charges, you are good to go. Just don't go the other way and use the 90 gr bullet data for the 115 gr bullet. 

Also, the general guidleine for cast and plated bullets is to use the starting to medium range of the data for jacketed bullets of the same weight. For instance, the Hodgdon site lists:
* 115 gr Lead Round Nose (LRN), W231, COL - 1.100",  4.3 - 4.8 gr
* 115 gr Speer Gold Dot HP, W231, COL = 1.125", 4.7 - 5.1 gr

Obviously I would use the LRN data for your hard cast 115 gr bullets.  But say LRN had not been listed. Then I would look at the Gold Dot data and use the midpoint as the absolute max for cast lead, which is 4.9 gr in this case.  I would probably do tests loads at 4.0, 4.4, and 4.8 gr.

Now, since we do have the LRN data we can look at that and see using the midpoint of the jacketed data as a max works out pretty well, considering the listing for LRN is a shorter COL at 1.100".  IF it was tested at 1.125" then its max may well be 4.8 gr instead of 4.7 gr.  The important thing is that we worked up from 4.0 rather than starting at 4.7 gr as listed for jacketed, and we stopped pretty close to the listed max for lead considering the different COLs.

Offline robertov416

• Prepper
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2013, 04:01:51 AM »
Thanks for the detailed data guys!

Offline backwoods_engineer

• Survivalist Mentor
  • An engineer trying to get back to the woods
    • Backwoods Engineer's Blog
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2013, 11:58:09 AM »
Congrats, Robert!  Welcome to the Reloaders' Club!

Offline armymars

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2013, 02:59:23 PM »
I'm told that Glocks don't like cast bullets. So you might want to try plated ones. Be careful of not using loads in the book as stated. Yes a lighter bullet with the same power charge and cast bullets should be OK. There are some powders I would not try this with. Universal is one. If they say to load with CCI primers and Rem. brass during a full moon on the third month , that's what I'm going to do with that powder. 231 should give you no problem until you get near max. 
   Ask me how I found this out. The hard way.

Offline ag2

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Been fishin' lately?
    • My Startup Challenge
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2013, 05:25:36 PM »
For those who have Glocks and still want to shoot cast bullets with peace of mind, consider a barrel replacement.  If you are like me and still shoot without an aftermarket barrel, just be sure to clean your barrel after a few hundred rounds.  Be sure to carefully inspect it with a light and bore scope if you can.  If you don't have a bore scope, at least pick up an otoscope.
Note: You will void your warranty on the Glock and there is a good reason Glock says not to shoot cast.

Barrels:
http://www.jarvis-custom.com/Products/tabid/53/ctl/ProductDisplay/categoryId/11/mid/388/Default.aspx
http://www.lonewolfdist.com/products.aspx?CAT=4

otoscope:
http://www.drmomotoscope.com/